Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Sep 20, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneycraft
Imagineer

Disneycraft's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 17

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Question Puppy Questions

In 2 weeks our cocker spaniel pup arrives . I’ve been researching for weeks and there is SO much information I feel overwhelmed.we’ve never had a dog before so any help with my queries will be great .
1 . Treats - constantly give treats as rewards for good behaviour/ reinforce positive things , surely that means they are eating a ton of treats a day then ? Is this right ?
2. Which treats are best ? Went to pet shop and supermarket and there are hundreds of them 😬 online ,people say don’t give this or that treat So what do you all recommend?
3. Can you give Sliced cooked sausage ?
4. Toys : can you give them baby toys or must it be dog toys ( dd wants to give him a baby Winnie the Pooh toy )
That’s it for now I’ll add more later

Marriott 93, MIC lakefront 94,Holiday inn 96,Rosen plaza 98,Quality inn plaza 02,BVP 06,BVP 07 ,Royal plaza 08,villa 09,villa +RPR 11,villa 12,Contemporary 13,BVP 14 ,POR xmas 15,Beach club 16,Beach Club 18 ,Contemporary 22, Sheraton LBV 23,+ DLP 03,17
Disneycraft is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 20, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post

We had little treat bags and we mainly used the regular kibble that they ate at meals times. We kept the “higher value” treats like bits of chicken or cheese spread for more demanding training.

I don’t think I would say we constantly gave them treats though, we mainly just kept it to when we were specifically doing a training session with them. The only other time they would get treats was as a distraction when the cat appeared and we were getting them used to each other. Oh and I have just remembered, when very young, we would give them treats to encourage them to sit quietly and was later useful if we brought them out e.g. to a pub for a meal.

You should keep an eye on how many treats they are getting though and roughly deduct from the meal allowance. I would look for something low fat, we have used sausage but it is not one of the healthiest treats, cooked chicken is better if you want to include meat.

Edited at 09:24 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 20, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

Congrats on your new pup.

Honestly they will sleep most of the day. Training sessions will be short and sweet and consistency is key when it comes to good manners etc.

Boil chicken for 15 mins or dry out liver in the oven 100c for 90 mins. Chop into tiny pieces it's perfect. You can use sausage but it's high fat so use in moderation, I'd use that for recall. Small cheese pieces are good too.

I guess any toy is OK as long as you supervise play. I would supervise all play until you know if your dog will destroy toys and eat stuffing. I also wouldn't trust a toy just because it's a dog toy, anything can be dangerous if eaten.

Good luck from us!
LostPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 20, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
In the very beginning I would give a little treat and praise say when he did toilet outside,
Treats are great for recall too, get puppy to sit and stay, call his or her name and when they come to you then a little treat was what I did in the first days . I used this time to train like this when he couldn’t yet go out on walks,

I wouldn’t give sliced sausage , it’s high in salt and fatty.
You could give tiny pieces of chicken or some very small training treats. I gave the natural ones.
When a pup is getting a treat it doesn’t have to be a massive treat, just a tiny piece will be the same to them. Even a piece of regular kibble I would give for rewarding him.
Old 6 Sep 20, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Another thing I did is take pup to same spot in garden to toilet from day 1.
Our dog 8.5 years still goes to that place to this day.
Praise and make a fuss good boy/ girl when they wee or poo in said place.
Old 6 Sep 20, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Our cocker spaniel Jasper is now 13 months and although we'd had a dog previously, he was a rescue who was 6 when he came to live with us, so this time last year was our first puppy experience.

Treats - don't feed treats all the time, as you say, you will be over-feeding your pup and they will eat as much as you give them! Always weigh the daily food allowance and use some of that to reinforce good behaviour. We used high value treats for specific training - teaching lead walking and learning basic commands - usually some cooked chicken but have also used small pieces of sausage although have found the sausage can disagree with our pup. We have also used the Wagg training treats for pups which are very small and can be broken in half again to reduce over-feeding.

Toys - our pup would destroy everything we gave him! You don't say what age your DD is, but if young she might get upset if your pup destroys Winnie the Pooh! As mentioned above, stuffing in toys is dangerous if dogs eat it, so you need to be very vigilant of all toys. Similarly, rope toys, although ours loved to chew on these when he was teething.

While on the subject of chewing, be careful not to leave any wires within reach, Jasper chewed through my laptop cable when I wasn't watching! Also be careful of leaving shoes lying around. Sounds like a nightmare, but the chewing phase is just that, a phase to get through and it does get better.

And my last piece of advice is to decide what you will and wont allow your dog to do in your house - go upstairs? get on the sofa? etc - and make sure every family member follows those rules without fail, right from the first day you bring him home. Dogs are creatures of habit who are happy with rules so they know their place within the family, and that should never be above their humans!

Debra
Old 6 Sep 20, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
All good advice above. We have 2 labs who love soft toys and are good at not destroying they- they tend to carry them around and cuddle them. Once they were past the destroying stage we bought cheap soft toys from Ikea- they love the pandas and little bears.
Old 6 Sep 20, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneycraft
Imagineer

Disneycraft's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Thank you for all the advice we’ll try to follow it , been to pets at home today and bought some healthy treats . Regarding giving boiled chicken- will grilled be okay? I’ve never boiled it before.

Marriott 93, MIC lakefront 94,Holiday inn 96,Rosen plaza 98,Quality inn plaza 02,BVP 06,BVP 07 ,Royal plaza 08,villa 09,villa +RPR 11,villa 12,Contemporary 13,BVP 14 ,POR xmas 15,Beach club 16,Beach Club 18 ,Contemporary 22, Sheraton LBV 23,+ DLP 03,17
Disneycraft is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 20, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Disneycraft View Post
Thank you for all the advice we’ll try to follow it , been to pets at home today and bought some healthy treats . Regarding giving boiled chicken- will grilled be okay? I’ve never boiled it before.
Yes grilled chicken will be fine, I cook in oven and cut up tiny pieces and spilt into little piles and freeze,
Old 6 Sep 20, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneycraft
Imagineer

Disneycraft's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by scottishmum View Post
Yes grilled chicken will be fine, I cook in oven and cut up tiny pieces and spilt into little piles and freeze,
Brilliant thank you