Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Jun 19, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
xcited
Excited about Disney

Having done Florida on a budget (it's budget or we don't go). Not sure of the practicalities because we always have a car but my top tips are:
breakfast in the room
Golden corral late afternoon (cheaper than evening)
drink free water with meals
Pre purchase all day dining for SeaWorld/aquatica days and make full/hourly use of it even if it's just dessert and a drink.(check all sites that sell them as the price can vary, also check for cash back.)
Check Groupon for restaurant vouchers
takeaways can be much cheaper.
I'm sure they'll have an amazing time, life is an adventure. Just reiterate the cost of medical help/medicines and ensure they have back up for that.
Old 3 Jun 19, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RealLifeMermaid View Post
We get asked almost every time we visit the US and Canada how much cash we are carrying. It’s rarer to not be asked in my experience. We were certainly asked this time (May). I wonder why some of us get asked and some of us don’t?
I guess it's all down to the Immigration Officer you get on the day - just the same as how some immigration officers are really friendly & others somewhat less so.

I've been asked once in about 15yrs of visiting Orlando about money - and then it was just "Are you carrying more than $10,000?" I guess of the officer needs to establish that you can support yourself whilst in the USA & not attempt to work illegally. That said, most visitors to Orlando - especially from the UK - have doubtless pre-paid their accommodation / hire car etc & are visiting for a week or two or three. It's a pretty safe bet that they won't be looking to work - other than work hard walking round the theme parks.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
I guess it's all down to the Immigration Officer you get on the day - just the same as how some immigration officers are really friendly & others somewhat less so.

I've been asked once in about 15yrs of visiting Orlando about money - and then it was just "Are you carrying more than $10,000?" I guess of the officer needs to establish that you can support yourself whilst in the USA & not attempt to work illegally. That said, most visitors to Orlando - especially from the UK - have doubtless pre-paid their accommodation / hire car etc & are visiting for a week or two or three. It's a pretty safe bet that they won't be looking to work - other than work hard walking round the theme parks.
I don’t think asking how much cash is anything to do with being able to support yourselves. We carry a couple of hundred dollars of cash, definitely not enough to support ourselves. I think the question is to do with money laundering.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I don’t think asking how much cash is anything to do with being able to support yourselves. We carry a couple of hundred dollars of cash, definitely not enough to support ourselves. I think the question is to do with money laundering.
It is, the concern is if you re importing over the limit in cash , they don't care about cards or credit worthiness (at least not yet but with Trump anything is possible in the future )
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RealLifeMermaid View Post
We get asked almost every time we visit the US and Canada how much cash we are carrying. It’s rarer to not be asked in my experience. We were certainly asked this time (May). I wonder why some of us get asked and some of us don’t?
I'm sure some of it is profiling but also luck of the draw which officer you get !
September last year and April this were both into MCO and not asked. Clearly I don't look like I have $10K on me lol
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
RealLifeMermaid
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Lol we must look like money launderers then!

Although I have heard people being asked how much cash they have with them and how long they are staying and being told that they don’t have enough and what are their plans if they run out of money, are they intending to work for cash etc?
RealLifeMermaid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I know they can see previous entrys so maybe that has something to do with it too.
I once got an earful because the airline hadn't pulled the green card out of my passport so my exit wasn't recorded. At the time you got stamped for 180 days so I just pointed out as it was still within the 180 days I clearly hadn't overstayed as I was reentering the US again four months later.
Old 3 Jun 19, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

The one thing I would hope that the OP's friends don't skimp on is medical insurance - even a simple medical problem could wipe out their money.
Old 4 Jun 19, 01:00 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by returnplanning View Post
The one thing I would hope that the OP's friends don't skimp on is medical insurance - even a simple medical problem could wipe out their money.
Considering the travel agent (over)sold them a full range of tickets, I doubt they left travel insurance off the bill.
Old 4 Jun 19, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Considering the travel agent (over)sold them a full range of tickets, I doubt they left travel insurance off the bill.
Very true. But do ensure that the OP's have disclosed all relevant medical conditions to the insurers (ignore any travel agent advice & contact them directly). Even the simplest trip to the Emergency Room (A&E) can be very costly in the USA.

Also make sure you carry details of your travel insurer & policy number with you at all times. Insure & Go are good here as they give you a credit card sized card with your policy details & the emergency numbers on the back.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List