Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jun 18, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

We have been at Reading today, and all 3 of us were very impressed.
Well organised, friendly and helpful students and the campus is lovely with squirrels, geese and ducks about.
All the talks we attended were informative and the psychology department was impressive as they have their own MRI scanner for training, plus do lots of research and case studies for dementia and autism.
One of the best things about Reading the the public transport, buses run all night, every 10 minutes and so cheap.
Accommodation was very nice, but only saw the en suite as we were running out of time, even though Dd wants the en suite, it would have been nice to compare as the hand basin rooms have had a refurbishment.
We did have some delays on the M25 and the M4, so not the best to visit, but my sister goes there every 3 weeks so could get a lift with her sometimes and the train will be easier next year when the Reading to Liverpool Street route is up and running.
Oh took Dd into the city for shopping while I visited my niece (5 minute drive from the uni) then we met them for a couple of drinks. My niece took us to a popular student place called The Purple Turtle which had an amazing outside area with a massive screen so we caught some of the football. Then we went just outside the city to a weatherspoons for dinner (it was getting late by this point) but only a 5 minute walk as the city ask for ID at the entrance after 9pm. Got a bus back to her house and the travelodge.
The only negative is that I dont know what gigs they have at Reading, (apart from Reading festival)
I know London isnt far, but realistically Dd isn't going to want to do that all the time.
Its only a little thing, but if she has an equal top 3, its things like that which will help her decide. Norwich UEA has the LCR onsite, we have seen loads of bands there including her favourite The Wombats twice.
Sounds like good days for everyone.

Edited at 10:49 PM.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 18, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Dayle View Post
Five years ago DD and I had our first uni visit to Leeds, today I picked her up at the end of her final year (three years plus a year in industry) I was lucky enough to be able to sit in on her final open day presentation( she works as an intern for her department and has given presentations on open and applicant days this year) and was so very proud of her.
Good luck to all your DCs and I hope they find the ideal place for them and have an amazing time wherever then end up but believe me those years pass in the blink of an eye. I thought sixth form flew by but I still can’t get over that it was five years since our first visit when DD knew straight away that this was the place for her.
You sound so proud of her, brought a tear to my eye. I know we will miss DD so much when she goes, as she is the last of our 3 to go to uni but I hope she has a wonderful time and a brilliant future ahead of her too.

She said today that she feels Bristol's Biology course 'means something' as the course leads to the student working on their own project, which for my daughter at this point in time would be a conservation project, which would hopefully lead her to her dream job somewhere in conservation. It was such a special moment to see our little girl grow almost into an adult, with dreams and ambitions for her future.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 18, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by roxie2001 View Post
We have been at Reading today, and all 3 of us were very impressed.
Well organised, friendly and helpful students and the campus is lovely with squirrels, geese and ducks about.
All the talks we attended were informative and the psychology department was impressive as they have their own MRI scanner for training, plus do lots of research and case studies for dementia and autism.
One of the best things about Reading the the public transport, buses run all night, every 10 minutes and so cheap.
Accommodation was very nice, but only saw the en suite as we were running out of time, even though Dd wants the en suite, it would have been nice to compare as the hand basin rooms have had a refurbishment.
We did have some delays on the M25 and the M4, so not the best to visit, but my sister goes there every 3 weeks so could get a lift with her sometimes and the train will be easier next year when the Reading to Liverpool Street route is up and running.
Oh took Dd into the city for shopping while I visited my niece (5 minute drive from the uni) then we met them for a couple of drinks. My niece took us to a popular student place called The Purple Turtle which had an amazing outside area with a massive screen so we caught some of the football. Then we went just outside the city to a weatherspoons for dinner (it was getting late by this point) but only a 5 minute walk as the city ask for ID at the entrance after 9pm. Got a bus back to her house and the travelodge.
The only negative is that I dont know what gigs they have at Reading, (apart from Reading festival)
I know London isnt far, but realistically Dd isn't going to want to do that all the time.
Its only a little thing, but if she has an equal top 3, its things like that which will help her decide. Norwich UEA has the LCR onsite, we have seen loads of bands there including her favourite The Wombats twice.
Sounds like good days for everyone.
So pleased you had a great day today too Roxie, certainly seems as if we all had good days. I was impressed with public transport in Bristol too, very cheap compared to our area at home, routes to Cribbs Causeway, the zoo, Bath, Weston Super Mare, City centre etc and some 24 hour buses too, plus good train links and ferries along the river.

My son used to visit Reading every year when he was younger for Reading festival and loved it. He said there was a good music scene in the town too so hopefully it is still a great place to be and somewhere your daughter feels happy.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Sounds like some good visits were had - we have Birmingham next - on Saturday.

Have not heard a great vibe about the place, but DD wants to take a look and it is only an hour away...
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
So pleased you had a great day today too Roxie, certainly seems as if we all had good days. I was impressed with public transport in Bristol too, very cheap compared to our area at home, routes to Cribbs Causeway, the zoo, Bath, Weston Super Mare, City centre etc and some 24 hour buses too, plus good train links and ferries along the river.

My son used to visit Reading every year when he was younger for Reading festival and loved it. He said there was a good music scene in the town too so hopefully it is still a great place to be and somewhere your daughter feels happy.
Thanks, good to know about the music scene. I did ask a couple of students but they didn’t really know. I have quickly googled and it looks like there is a uni type place with her kind of bands.
They do have good incentives for a firm choice as well, guaranteed accomadation and they will let you drop down a grade.
Dd needs AAB, so if Reading is her firm choice she could get in with ABB. She is predicted AAA but you never know how the exam will go. Also they told me they don’t worry about the AS grades so that’s reasurring if results are not what she has been predicted. Will be nice to know if all her other choices offer that.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Sounds like some good visits were had - we have Birmingham next - on Saturday.

Have not heard a great vibe about the place, but DD wants to take a look and it is only an hour away...
We are at Birmingham the day before you so will let you know what we think 😊. You may be pleasantly surprised, as we were at Bristol yesterday. Although we had heard Bristol was good anyway, but DD hadn't been keen when she looked online. I feel.the visits definitely help, even if they do tire me out 😀
Old 17 Jun 18, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by roxie2001 View Post
Thanks, good to know about the music scene. I did ask a couple of students but they didn’t really know. I have quickly googled and it looks like there is a uni type place with her kind of bands.
They do have good incentives for a firm choice as well, guaranteed accomadation and they will let you drop down a grade.
Dd needs AAB, so if Reading is her firm choice she could get in with ABB. She is predicted AAA but you never know how the exam will go. Also they told me they don’t worry about the AS grades so that’s reasurring if results are not what she has been predicted. Will be nice to know if all her other choices offer that.
My DD was told yesterday at Bristol that they don't really consider the Welsh Bacc, unless she didn't get the grades in her main A levels then it could be counted. DD hates Welsh Bacc but it is compulsory here, and her college insists it is very important when it comes to universities. She was very pleased to hear it wasn't considered as much as she had thought. She wants to pass it, as she hates to fail, but not so much pressure on the grade now.
Old 17 Jun 18, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

It is interesting that unis differ on the Welsh BACC so much. It is worth asking. Many told us that they take it exactly the same as any other, she got a couple of offers which were reduced bacause of "having a relevant individual investigation" ( she targeted her WB components toward her degree subject". Others said that they required X points from y a levels as well as the WB.

So moral of that one is always ask. Increasingly there will be pressure for unis to accept it as standard now it is individual graded.

Personal statements for UCAS forms are handy to say why indiv Inc is X subject and how related to the uni course. Timings aren't great. But can say been doing lots of desk research - and have been surprised by z and and currently planning my primary research to further explore etc.

Esp helpful perhaps if looking at RG.

DD did a research module for hers and so many dibbers helped by responding !

Sorry to go off topic and so Wales focussed !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
It is interesting that unis differ on the Welsh BACC so much. It is worth asking. Many told us that they take it exactly the same as any other, she got a couple of offers which were reduced bacause of "having a relevant individual investigation" ( she targeted her WB components toward her degree subject". Others said that they required X points from y a levels as well as the WB.

So moral of that one is always ask. Increasingly there will be pressure for unis to accept it as standard now it is individual graded.

Personal statements for UCAS forms are handy to say why indiv Inc is X subject and how related to the uni course. Timings aren't great. But can say been doing lots of desk research - and have been surprised by z and and currently planning my primary research to further explore etc.

Esp helpful perhaps if looking at RG.

DD did a research module for hers and so many dibbers helped by responding !

Sorry to go off topic and so Wales focussed !
My DD is planning to do her individual project in some sort of conservation work, which will be relevant to her Biology course so that part of it may be useful on her personal statement.

She does find Welsh Bacc so very time consuming though, and as she is studying 4 A levels as well, it is a strain on her workload.

Bristol also said they only consider 3 grades, so suggested she drops one A level next year as they wouldn't care about the fourth grade. DD is unsure as she feels she has 4 grades to offer this way, so if one drops under offer, she still has 3 others to use. It's a lot to consider.
Old 17 Jun 18, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Blimey DD. 4 Alevels plus the WB; that comes out at 5 A-level grades. As you say - an awful lot of work. Good luck to her.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List