Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 25 Jun 19, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Tesco Scan and Go - service check changes and not for the better

For anyone who uses the Scan and Go system in Tesco and is selected for a random service check there has been a change to how it is done and it isn't positive. The entire shop must be rescanned with no exceptions - so they have done away with the limited rescan.

I found out to my cost today with a completely full trolley - by the time they had finished it must have added an extra 30 minutes to my shop which meant frozen items (ice creams) had started to defrost . The staff member doing the re-scan wasn't happy and quite rude when I said that I wouldn't be using the system again. She just muttered "that's what you signed up for" - she was even more unhappy when I demanded that they exchanged the melting ice creams for fresh ones out of the freezer.

So don't forget to build in extra time especially if you are shopping with young children if you have to use Scan and Go or even better use the normal till and make Tesco work for their money.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by DisneyCupcake View Post
For anyone who uses the Scan and Go system in Tesco and is selected for a random service check there has been a change to how it is done and it isn't positive. The entire shop must be rescanned with no exceptions - so they have done away with the limited rescan.

I found out to my cost today with a completely full trolley - by the time they had finished it must have added an extra 30 minutes to my shop which meant frozen items (ice creams) had started to defrost . The staff member doing the re-scan wasn't happy and quite rude when I said that I wouldn't be using the system again. She just muttered "that's what you signed up for" - she was even more unhappy when I demanded that they exchanged the melting ice creams for fresh ones out of the freezer.

So don't forget to build in extra time especially if you are shopping with young children if you have to use Scan and Go or even better use the normal till and make Tesco work for their money.

It does make you wonder what the point is especially as I get picked out at least 1 out of 3 times
Old 25 Jun 19, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Christina Dunn
Apprentice Imagineer

Christina Dunn's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I get stopped for a check nine times out of ten. The whole point of it is to save time and do it as you go along. What is the point then? You might as well just go to a normal till. What a pain.

Christina Dunn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

I was watching a woman have her whole shop checked and it looked a nightmare unpacking and repacking it all. I don’t like them. If they expect me to help keep their staff wages lower and scan all my own stuff I expect a staff discount 😂
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

In our local Tesco they only have one member of staff manning the scan as you pay area so it wouldn't take a lot to cause chaos if two customers needed their shopping checked
Old 25 Jun 19, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
In our local Tesco they only have one member of staff manning the scan as you pay area so it wouldn't take a lot to cause chaos if two customers needed their shopping checked
My local Tesco is manic at Christmas - can't begin to imagine what will happen if this system is still in place
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I do most of my shopping at Lidl, and I’m currently trying some of the menu in a box things (eat fresh, HelloFresh, Gousto) and so I only get bits and bobs from Tesco, I’ve done big shops there before... I rarely get stopped but I have found if I add something to my shop then put it back/delete/change for something else I’m much, much more likely to get stopped...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Yes, same in mine and its a big branch. I am spot-checked about 2 times out of 5, thankfully wasn't checked today.

If they provide me with a seat and maybe a cup of coffee while they check and repack my shopping that's fine by me . I'm not doing it for speed, it's just because I don't like unloading and packing that I use the system.
Old 25 Jun 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I hate the scan and go system. Got it wrong both times I used it so I go to the standard check out.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyCupcake View Post

Stopped using them a long time ago after a couple of experiences with Sainsbury's. First time had hospital appointment and the person in front of me had her trolley completely re-scanned and was not happy then they wanted to do my trolley. Told them I did not have time to wait while they re-scanned my trolley as I had to get to our local hospital so had to leave my shopping (parking is so bad at our local hospital and you have to leave additional time to find a parking space). Second time I thought everything had gone through properly previous weekend so when we came to pay and were told we still owed the money from our last week's shop was not a happy bunny. Then had to wait for them to go back over the system and prove I had paid. Big complaint and have not used them since.
JAF is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List