Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Closed Thread

Old 13 Apr 07, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post

American Sim Cards

Hi this has probably been said before but I can't find the answer anywhere.

Where is the best place to purchase American Sim cards for our mobile phones - we go to Florida in August and I thought it would be good for me and hubby and the two girls to take our phones incase the girls disappear! and panic.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 07, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post

What a good question ... No idea of the answer, but I'm sure someone will know
Old 13 Apr 07, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks Sarah, I'm sure someone will let us know. We are currently on 02 I'm not sure if that helps answer the query.
Old 13 Apr 07, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

I am watching this one too

I'm sure someone on here will have done it.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 07, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
nursie
Excited about Disney

nursie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I think your phone may have to be 'unlocked' from your network (O2) for you to change the sim. Some networks charge a fee for this, depending how long you have had the phone. Also I think your phone has to be tri-band to work in the states (if your phone is fairly new it should be tri-band).
I would be interested in some definate info on this though,
Just before our last trip in March this year, Virgin mobile were giving away two free sims with £5 credit to whoever wanted one (online offer). DH and myself ordered 2 each so we had £20 worth of free credit to dial home (£1.80/min) and send texts (30p each). Worth keeping a look out to see if O2 do something similar.
Nursie.
Old 15 Apr 07, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post

When I looked into this the cost of sims to use in USA was just not worth it. Virgin mobile USA do phone starting from $20, then airtime, 100min is $20. Or you can go go for tracphone etc. Unlocking mobiles so they could use a USA sim was £20 and then you still have to buy the sim and that was around £30. The usa phones do not use sims so you don't get a good deal on buying a sim. A new phone is cheaper.
Old 15 Apr 07, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Malcolm
Imagineer

Hi ... I went into Walmart and bought a pay as you go phone, about $60.
Be warned you pay for both incoming and outgoing calls. But then if you are not realy going to use it when you come back why dont you sell it on the dibb for sale section...
Malcolm is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 07, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post

in feb this year we went ot WALMART, they had pay as you go phones for $30 each ( sure they were not flash do everything phones, but hey ), this included $10 talktime, they then had top up cards for sale for various prices
Old 15 Apr 07, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post

0044. we used them for phoning within the u.s. and phoning home. they were very reasonable. you can get your phone unlocked anywhere now. we had ours done at the local market for £5.
Old 15 Apr 07, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
truesdpr
Imagineer

truesdpr's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We had a triband unlocked phone and went to the T-mobile shop on SandLake Rd near the Florida Mall. The guy was really helpful and we got a SIM card and new 407 number activiated straight away for just over $50. We put a lot of credit on it to start with as we were using it a lot and this ensured we get 25% more minutes each time we top up. We take it each time we go and add about $25 each time to ensure the minutes do't expire - they last for a full year from top-up and fortunately we are going twice a year at the moment. We seem to get good coverage and good value for the minutes - I had a fairly long call back to the UK and was surprised how few minutes I had actually used. The T-mobile chap was very friendly and helpful and everything was ready for us to use before we left the shop. You can buy the top-up cards in Walgreens, Wal-Mart etc. We were just saying that we'll go back next time and get another SIM card for my phone as Bill reckoned I kept giving him the slip in the shops!

Pam.
truesdpr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread