Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Closed Thread

Old 1 May 14, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Did you find £500 for this summer? I only ask as those of us on the glitch thread tried every trick in the book, including flying via Ireland, and only those lucky enough to book the Norwegian flights got anywhere near £500.
£500 has always been my target figure in the past, and we have normally achieved something very close, but this year after searching from before August until around March I gave in and paid £750.
All depends on what you are prepared to do

I showed earlier in the thread with little effort, maybe because I know where to look, London to florida for 448 quid each 18-31 August.

If I was to really sit down I could get less I am sure, sort of thing I would look at next if its still not cheap enough is get to new York , and book a separate internal flight with a different airline.

You need to tell me what you wont do, your dates and your party and location and I can take it on as a challenge.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 14, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

We are going next year beginning of July, do you think £500 is achievable for then? (never been June/early July before)
Is it best to book as soon as flights come out? Or do they drop a bit after release?

I know its a case of 'how long is a piece of string?' but just wondering...

thanks
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 14, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
We are going next year beginning of July, do you think £500 is achievable for then? (never been June/early July before)
Is it best to book as soon as flights come out? Or do they drop a bit after release?

I know its a case of 'how long is a piece of string?' but just wondering...

thanks
June or July, outside the school holiday I would be thinking 350 a head, earliest you can book is august but don't get hung up on booking early, patience is they key, and if you get to a month out and still not happy book something up and accept your lot, it will pay you over a lifetime.

one thing you could do is imagine the dates you have in mind for 2015 and pretend you are going 2014 and price it out as an exercise, again list your party and dates and your nearest airport and I can suggest an itinerary.
Old 1 May 14, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
For this year I needed flights that left after 19 July and returned before 21 August (GCSE results day). I live in Newcastle but was prepared to take any route possible. Although if it was totally inconvenient it needed to be very cheap (under £500).

I looked at the Ireland flights, but getting there from Newcastle wasn't cheap and the times were particularly poor. The cost wasn't low enough to justify the inconvenience.

I've ended up paying £750 for indirect flights from Manchester via Atlanta. For 4 of us, that means i've paid £1000 more than my target, but I honestly don't think there was a £500 option out there (returning before GCSE results day). Other than some Norwegian flights that I would have snapped up if I'd seen them in the 4 hour window before they sold out.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 14, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
timnlaura
slightly serious Dibber

now 350 sounds good to me! we are aiming for the 28th of june 2015 give or take a week, havent truly sat down to look at it tho!
timnlaura is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 14, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBrown
Very Serious Dibber

Love it! What about a family of 5, leaving 3, 4 or 5th April (2 weeks) - just looking to save (a lot) on flights. Prices have gone so crazy for flights, willing to consider indirect from Scotland to likes of Copenhagen. Have to wait until 11 month return date for flights?

Your thread really makes you think. Just when I thought it might not be possible, a glimmer of hope...
Thanks for sharing.
MrsBrown is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 14, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

For this year I needed flights that left after 19 July and returned before 21 August (GCSE results day). I live in Newcastle but was prepared to take any route possible. Although if it was totally inconvenient it needed to be very cheap (under £500).

I looked at the Ireland flights, but getting there from Newcastle wasn't cheap and the times were particularly poor. The cost wasn't low enough to justify the inconvenience.

I've ended up paying £750 for indirect flights from Manchester via Atlanta. For 4 of us, that means i've paid £1000 more than my target, but I honestly don't think there was a £500 option out there (returning before GCSE results day). Other than some Norwegian flights that I would have snapped up if I'd seen them in the 4 hour window before they sold out.
I've looked at Ireland too before and found the same thing

I would think 3k would be our absolute maximum budget for flights, our worst case scenario. Very worrying, I don't like not having flights booked. Have always booked flights first in the past.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 14, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by drspear View Post
June or July, outside the school holiday I would be thinking 350 a head, earliest you can book is august but don't get hung up on booking early, patience is they key, and if you get to a month out and still not happy book something up and accept your lot, it will pay you over a lifetime.

one thing you could do is imagine the dates you have in mind for 2015 and pretend you are going 2014 and price it out as an exercise, again list your party and dates and your nearest airport and I can suggest an itinerary.
This is very reassuring ^^^^^ Very useful, thank you very much. Will do some more dummy bookings for this years equivalent dates to get an idea of what would be available at this stage in the game next year.
Old 1 May 14, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post

OK well first thing I did was enter London to fort Lauderdale 19-26 july comes out at 566 each

Did you think of this option to change arrival airport ?
Old 1 May 14, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Yes, I tried Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Miami, Sanford.

26th July will be a cheap date to return as that's only one week after the schools breakup.

I'm not trying to be awkward, I actually totally agree with your message. But I think that late July/early August is a very expensive time, and I know a lot of people were disappointed this year as they had high hopes of finding a bargain and they couldn't.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread