Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Jun 19, 06:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
Hi all, we ended up going away for 2 nights and it done us good to get a break and recharge. I am deff going to have a chat with ds on his day off next week. I have had a chat with dd and explained to her that she needs to be more helpful and I stuck with it today. She moaned at first but eventually by tonight she was getting her own drinks and put her dirty washing in the basket without beeing asked.

I think what I've learned from this thread is that I have over spoiled my kids and in turn thats all they know. In the long run thats no good for them learning life skills or becoming more independent and its no good on me and dh. Thanks so much everyone for all your views and opinions it really does mean a lot to me I really do appreciate it.

I'm pleased you managed to get a couple of nights away and hope things improve for you.
It's really hard with a teenager who is selfish but you need to stand your ground with him.
Good luck with everything.
Old 8 Jun 19, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Fairysparkled
Excited about Disney

Sorry but the only person to blame for this is yourself. If you dont do something about him soon he is going to be trouble as an adult.
Fairysparkled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
judy22
Apprentice Imagineer

You are honestly doing him no favours being so nice. Time for a change of attitude on his side or else he needs to move out.
judy22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Has his Dad spoken to him about all this ? Might be easier ‘man to man’.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisaw1971
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by macadoo View Post
Because he didn’t pay housekeeping or help round the house?
I’m confused you put an 18 yr old In homeless accommodation because he doesn’t pay rent it fo housework? I’m obviously missing some of the replies? Because that is rather harsh!
My two are 23 (yesterday) & 18 (next month) don’t pay rent (I don’t need or want it) or helpmaround the house!

Isn’t 18/19/20 the age where ‘the majority’ of teenagers live for free at home when they decide who they are going to become?

DLP Sept 1994 NY, 1998 SF, 2003NPB, 2005 off site, 2008NPB, NYE 2012 Explorers
WDW POR August 2013 14 nts
WDW POR August 2015 21 nts
DLP DCC AUGUST 2016 3nts
WDW DVC December 2016 10nts
Lisaw1971 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

Time for paying rent to you etc and learning what the real world is actually like!
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Lisaw1971 View Post
I’m confused you put an 18 yr old In homeless accommodation because he doesn’t pay rent it fo housework? I’m obviously missing some of the replies? Because that is rather harsh!
My two are 23 (yesterday) & 18 (next month) don’t pay rent (I don’t need or want it) or helpmaround the house!

Isn’t 18/19/20 the age where ‘the majority’ of teenagers live for free at home when they decide who they are going to become?
As a parent , it is your right to let your children pay/not pay - help/not help around the house. The OP choose different to you.

At 16 I was on a YTS scheme so didn't pay rent but certainly helped around the house. As soon as I got a job I paid my parents rent and continued to pay rent. You are lucky to be in a position where you don't need It, but adults are not cheap and millions of families are in a different position.

Again, everyone is different but I agree with the OP. Her son is an adult and therefore should pay his way.
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
No there was other things going on at that time thankfully he's settled down now.
Originally Posted by Lisaw1971 View Post

the OP replied (post 45) that it wasn't for those reasons that her son had left home before.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
AlisonB
Imagineer

OP - I hope things pick up for you and everything at home improves.

We never asked for financial contributions/housekeeping etc until DDs worked full time. They were expected to keep their rooms tidy (I had to learn to shut the doors sometimes!), change the beds etc and also help out with emptying the dishwasher etc.

Now they are both in full time employment things are a bit different - there’s 4 adults in the house all working full time so IMHO we all share the jobs. So we all pitch in with cooking, washing up, dishwasher duties, getting washing going and hung out etc, not just their own but everyone’s (each bedroom has a washbin), putting bins out etc. They don’t proactively do housework but if I asked one of them to put the hoover round they would. They don’t pay a lot of housekeeping but it’s the principle!

I do remember when they went to secondary school they both would occasionally forget to take a book or homework in and I’d get a request to drop it in to school at lunchtime - if I did that then they had to pay me back by doing all the lunchboxes for all 4 of us the following day - which tended to concentrate the mind somewhat!
Then around the ages of 13-14 they started complaining about lunchbox contents. Fine by me - not done any lunches for anyone since! 😂

Sorry for the essay - but like others have said it’s about setting some rules/boundaries, explaining the reasons and then following through. But pick your battles - if you have a list of rules a mile long you are less likely to get them followed.
AlisonB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairysparkled
Excited about Disney

I dont think this is about paying rent, not paying rent. Doing dishes not doing dishes. Its about teaching them about standing on there own two feet. Its a big hard world out there when you havent got mummy wiping your bottom any more.
Fairysparkled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List