Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Aug 19, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Brennanhough
Excited about Disney

Car Crash just before Holiday

Last Wednesday we had a car accident. Old guy messing with his phone went straight into the back of us at about 40mph whilst we were stationary and made a bit of a mess of the car. Thankfully, except for a few bumps, scrapes, sore necks and stiff backs we were all ok.

Our car wasn’t driveable home so we had to be rescued. Now the guy has admitted full liability but one week down the line, our car hasn’t been looked at yet. His insurance has paid for a hire car but they’ve pretty much said ours is going to be out of action for the next 2-3 weeks.

Now the issue we have is that we go away next Friday and as we are a family of 4 with a toddler and a stroppy 13 year old we did meet and greet parking. His insurance have said they are not prepared to pay for the hire car whilst we are away but the issue is they want us to take the car back to the rental centre on our departure and go back and collect it when we return.

Now aside from losing £90 we paid for parking, I really don’t want to do this. Not so bad on the way there but after a 10 hour flight from Vegas with two kids I want to get in my car and go home not have to make our way to the rental village, cases in tow and get a new car to take home.

We’ve looked at a taxi today and it’s a £270 round trip so I don’t want another £270 to pay out on top of the £90 it looks like we’re going to lose already.

Anybody have any experience of this? He’s admitted full liability, and I can see the point they are making but also I don’t want to be out of pocket any further or want to be adding a further 1/1.5 hours to our journey getting home when we land, which it will be by the time we’ve got out, got to the rental center at Manchester and got a new car.

Thanks for your help!
Brennanhough is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

Well considering they are saving on the hire car whilst you are away, then they should pay for a taxi and your parking that you have paid. I would contact your own insurance, and if you have legal cover, then get in touch with the legal department, as they will be getting in touch with you at some point. All out of pocket expenses are claimable against the other insurers. Been in a similar situation when someone wiped out my son on a dual carriageway (overtaking and rather than hit the bollard - took out the side of my son's car). I had to provide an account of what happened, and sent pictures from Google maps when we were contacted by the legal department of our insurers. At this point they ask you what other expenses you have incurred - and I would claim for both the parking and the taxi. I wouldn't be collecting a car either, I would have it delivered to my home address.

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018
JanetteP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Is the rental place at the airport? If so I don't think it's much of an ask to drop off/collect there.

I'd be asking for refund of my own parking though.

Hope you're all recovered enough to enjoy your holiday.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

This is what happened to us a few years ago. We were able to drop off the hire car at the airport and then we collected another hire car at the airport when we came home. We were lucky as we hadn't booked parking but it basically cost us less than if we had our own car. Good luck!
Old 7 Aug 19, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Mobile

I’d also be saying I’d be claiming for loss of airport parking, taxi to and from the airport and if they won’t redeliver another hire car to you at home on the day of your choosing when you get back, then you will also claim for the cab you need to get back to the car hire place to get another car when you get home.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Brennanhough
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
Is the rental place at the airport? If so I don't think it's much of an ask to drop off/collect there.

I'd be asking for refund of my own parking though.

Hope you're all recovered enough to enjoy your holiday.
We’re ok thanks, kids were a bit shook up but they are tough little cookies so I am sure they will be ok!

I know what you mean, and to be honest if it was just me and the wife, I wouldn’t be too bothered.

I just know that having two tired kids come off a 10 hour flight the last thing they want is to be then going over to the car rental village.

We specifically booked meet and greet to avoid having to mess about so it’s just frustrating that it looks like we may end up having to mess about for something which is not our fault.
Brennanhough is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

So sorry you are having these issues. I recently had a mini bus hit me from behind when I stopped at a junction. He didn't accept liability... tried to tell me I didn't need to stop even though a car was approaching from right that he couldn't See!
I contacted my insurers, gave them all the details and they sorted everything. They arranged a hire car immediately, arranged collection of my car and all repairs. They pay up front then claim from the other drivers insurance. I have been assured that as this is clearly not my fault so no impact on my insurance and not a penny to pay. Fantastic service from saga insurance. I'm sure you shouldn't need to be sorting this out... thats what you pay your insurance company for.

Edited at 06:11 PM.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post

I can understand why they would not want to pay for a hire car to sit in an airport car park for two weeks or whatever. Perhaps one of you could wait with kids and cases whilst the other goes to get it upon return?

I would ask about getting a refund of the parking if you can’t get that back from whoever you booked with, I would point out that they are saving on her car whilst you are away. I think they might argue that it is not an additional / out of pocket expense as you were always going to pay it, but worth a go.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

I hope you get something sorted so it doesn't cost you any extra. It seems very unfair if you have to pay more money than you budgeted for.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Mobile

I’d get a taxi and try claim it back