Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Sep 17, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Doris1971
Excited about Disney

NHS and bank work

Hi all

Just started a new job which will require me to do some bank work on a Saturday and possibly Sunday. I've been in the NHS a while and have done previous bank work - a 12hr shift and only picked up £50 odd pound so have avoided it like the plague ever since.

What do I need to know regarding tax as after this my tax code was changed as they said I didn't pay enough so I'm a bit reluctant to do bank work again.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 9 Sep 17, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Firstly they cannot make you work more than your contracted hours, unless it is written into your contract.

Bank shifts for the same organisation should go through the same payroll so unless you do so many hours that it puts you into a new tax bracket it should be worthwhile.
If they want to pay it as a second job thus could be taxed at a different rate which would be less. If this is the case it adds more weight to not doing extra
Old 9 Sep 17, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I work for the NHS and am on the bank - the trust I work for have your main role as your substantive post and then the bank as a 2nd job, my tax code is spilt in 2 so I try to avoid bank if I can (have done a bit recently as my ward is really short staffed)

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Doris1971
Excited about Disney

Thanks for the replies folks, very much appreciated!

It's not written in my contract to do bank but as all the others do it as extra then I think it's sort of 'frowned upon' if I don't.

When I went for the interview I was told it was overtime, which in my contract means it's different rates. But since I have started I have been told that it's on bank and at a lower rate - so I'm a bit miffed that I wasn't told the full story! Will teach me to make sure that question is asked next time!

Ho hum!
Old 10 Sep 17, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindsaymc
Helping Mickey

Have they signed you up to the nurse bank?
Do you have a contract for the nurse bank?
Nurse bank is optional, you work what you want when you want.
If they want you to work these extra shifts as bank I should imagine you can refuse.
Lindsaymc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
As others have said the Nurse Bank job is separate employment and is often a different band from your substantive post given the role you may have can be different. The days of overtime in your substantive post is mostly long gone in the NHS. That said I am doing some next week but as I work part-time nowadays its paid at my going rate and not time and 30% as it used to be. As its a different job your tax code for that job will be at zero therefore you will be taxed on all earnings. That said £50 for 12 hours even fully taxed seems very low.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Doris1971
Excited about Disney

Hi folks
Thank you so much for your replies, I am very grateful.

Sorry for the confusion, I should have said earlier, I am admin band 3 but the bank work will be band 2 in extra clinics, and yes it was that low for a band 2 ward clerk 12 hour bank shift. It played havoc with my tax code for the following year as HMRC said that I had not paid enough tax and that is why I am now reluctant to do bank work.

As I'm new to the job I think I will probably have to see how it goes as I'm on probation for 3 months so don't want to jeapordise my job by coming across as not being a team player.

Lesson learned!
Old 10 Sep 17, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
markamanda
Excited about Disney

I work in admin and used to work a Saturday as part of my contract. 3 hrs a week so 12 hrs a month which gave me £48 extra in my pay packet a month for unsociable hours. (I was band 2) Would you be getting this extra or would you be working a Saturday and Sunday for a rate lower then your normal rate?

2007 Fairfield Inn Orlando 2008 Private villa in Orlando 2011 OKW and Dismum's villa 2012 Candlewood Suites NYC 2014 Dreamers villa Orlando 2016 Monte Carlo vegas 2017 Caribbean cruise and Orlando stay 2018 Villa Santa Cruz Orlando 2021 Disney Sunset Villa
markamanda is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
animal 1970
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
I work for the NHS and am on the bank - the trust I work for have your main role as your substantive post and then the bank as a 2nd job, my tax code is spilt in 2 so I try to avoid bank if I can (have done a bit recently as my ward is really short staffed)
me too I do 34.5 hours contract and 6-12 hours a week bank (holiday money ) but I have to pay double tax on my bank contract even though its the same job in the same company as I use all my allowance on my main contract
animal 1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Doris1971
Excited about Disney

My normal hours will be 37.5 on a band 3 but the bank work will be clinic hours 8-4 on a sat/ sun on a band 2.

What I'm more miffed at was that I was told in the interview was that it was overtime, no mention of it being bank work! Reading my contract, overtime would be a little more at the weekends. I just feel like I've been lied to and it's not a great start to a job. On top of this, as I've started just into September by 3 days, I'm only being granted holiday for 6 full months. I have not been given the day that I will accrue for working most of September. I've worked for the NHS for over 7 years so should get 29 days. I used 12 days in my last job, which was relevant to the time accrued. The new one I have been told I only have 14.5 days.

I went for this job as my previous one had changed and I was losing much of my transferable skills but feel like why should I have bothered?

Sorry for the rant but I feel like I have been really mislead and cheated.