Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Mar 19, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile Fostering cats, would you?

Our lovely old girl Spikey crossed the rainbow bridge a few weeks ago and the flat just seems wrong without a cat!

We are in a private rent (landlord doesn’t mind) two floors up, with no garden, on a busy road. So it’s indoor cats only.

Also we are hoping to move later this year to be near my parents.

All of which means it is not a good time to get a cat.

So we are looking at fostering.

Would you? Could you? Advice, encouragement, warnings welcome!

Also our local animal home (where Spikey came from) is currently only wanting fosterers for nursing mums and kittens.

We have zero experience of kittens!

What do you think?
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I have fostered bunnies for years. I love each and every one but I think I probably go against the grain because I actually don't find it too difficult to give them up. I know all along they are temporary and they are always going to a really lovely home so I am happy for them to leave

It's really rewarding thing to do, and is like pet ownership with a lot less of the responsibilities. I say go for it

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I think it depends how attached you are likely to get.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
I am a fosterer for our local Cats Protection branch.

To be a fosterer, you have to have a room dedicated for the cat/cats, so not 'whole of house' basically. It is very rare to get a branch that allows whole of house fostering - the reason is that when the fostered cat goes, everything (and I mean everything) has to be disinfected completely or boil washed (curtains too) - infection control.

My spare room is my foster room, it has sticky plastic (like big cellotape) on the carpet, no furniture and plastic crates to house my personal stuff - easy to disinfect.
Everything is provided - beds, scratch posts, food, vet bills etc. but you have to ensure you take the cat/cats to the vets for their check ups, jabs, neutering etc.
You would also need to welcome potential adopters into your home to visit the cat (this is only done after they've been started on the adoption process) - having strangers in your home can be a little unnerving.
Being in rented accommodation may or may not be a stumbling block - at the very least, they'd need written confirmation from your landlord for having cat/cats.

It's a massive undertaking and not one you should contemplate if you're doing it because you just miss having a cat around - it's not the answer honestly.
If you have a shelter near you, volunteering for them would be a huge help and you'd get to pet the cats lots without the hassle.

For kittens, it's the most amazing thing, but you need to be home all day every day as they need feeding A LOT!

Hope that helps, sorry it's more negative than positive.
Old 28 Mar 19, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

Rag doll rescue where we got our cats from are always looking for foster help, but as Bats said they normally look for a safe room rather than house as they can have medical needs
But it’s a worthwhile thing you’d like to do
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Fosterers, are a breed apart (sorry about the Pun)….. they are amazing. I just could not do it. Even after a day I get attached to an animal and that's that.
That's probably why we have 3 dogs !

Foster if you can let go, I couldn't. xx
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Many rescue centres will have a cat or two that’s in its twilight years and doesn’t get adopted , many will be house cats .
If you rescued one at least they get to spend their last years getting masses of love.
I have two rescues who are house cats but go out in a cat safe garden ( small garden totally fenced in ) and they are amazing .. I got them a week after losing my 20 year old boy as the house was so quiet .
They are the most loving cats ever even though they don’t really like being picked up , there is nothing better than being woken up in the morning by a nibble on the chin ! They sleep on their own leather sofa in the kitchen 😁
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sunsetlakes
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
This is my daughters latest "foster kitten" She has called him "Wolfie", he is still on 2 hourly feeds as he's less than 4 weeks old (she's not had one this young before). I have a funny feeling she will find this little one hard to let go as she is getting incredibly attached.
sunsetlakes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sunsetlakes View Post
This is my daughters latest "foster kitten" She has called him "Wolfie", he is still on 2 hourly feeds as he's less than 4 weeks old (she's not had one this young before). I have a funny feeling she will find this little one hard to let go as she is getting incredibly attached.
Oh my goodness, I hope she keeps him he is adorable!

Really hats off to those who foster, you are incredible and so selfless, I could never let go.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by sunsetlakes View Post
That's why there is no way I could foster.

I could never let them go.
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List