Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 9 May 14, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post

fairfax card - reassure me please

Hi dibbers , I have just orderedafairfax pre pay MasterCard. I have never used one as we always do the cash and travellers cheque thing, but next time want to do without the travellers cheques as I can top up small and often on the card
So is it used just the same as a credit card over there?
Are there any pitfalls
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 14, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsMouse93
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by RedLobsterMan View Post
Hi dibbers , I have just orderedafairfax pre pay MasterCard. I have never used one as we always do the cash and travellers cheque thing, but next time want to do without the travellers cheques as I can top up small and often on the card
So is it used just the same as a credit card over there?
Are there any pitfalls
I'm ordering ours tonight and in the same situation as you, have always used TC's.

I believe you use like a credit card and if withdrawing cash, the ATM may charge, but FairFx don't.
July 2014 - 3 weeks DIY
June 2015 - 2 weeks DIY. MAN-MIA... 2 nights Miami/12 nights Highgate Park
October 2015 - 8 nights DIY via Dublin...2 visits in 1 year
April 2016 - the kids permission to go it alone!
June 2016. 15 nights. Our last as a family?
October 2017. Miami & The Keys
MrsMouse93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 14, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post

You use exactly as you would a debit or credit card except that in many places in the US you won't be asked for a PIN or a signature. This is altering slowly - Walmart branches do use chip and pin. A good idea is to get a Family & Friends card so that if you lose the original card or should you have it stolen Fairfx can transfer the funds immediately on to the other card. One tip - in restaurants pay the bill amount with the card and give the tip in cash. This stops "shadow" transactions occuring which can sometimes lock up amounts on the card. You can check the balance on the card either by text message or signing into your account.
If you order the card via the DIBB link you don't pay the £9.95 for the card:

fairfx/dibb
Old 9 May 14, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Neil-LUFC
Excited about Disney

Had one last year, no problems at all. Even transferring money from my Bank onto the card when I was in Florida went smoothly.

Will use it again this trip
Neil-LUFC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 14, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Used one on our last trip, no problem, apart from 1 it was so easy to use I needed to keep a tab on my spends because it was so easy LOL. Had over $1000 on mine and boy it was fun spending it!
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 14, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post

I echo what others have said. I used it everywhere with no problems and I'd say I used the card for 2/3 of my transactions whilst in the US.

Because the ATMs charge for cash withdrawals using the card, I took separate cash but I know some people just make sure they withdraw larger cash amounts to make the fee worthwhile.
Old 9 May 14, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We have used them for years with no problems

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 14, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
welovepedro
Imagineer

welovepedro's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
We've got one to use. I haven't used it before. We are having 1 with a lump sum on, then have a friends/family one linked to it which is the one we will use for daily spending. Each night we'll transfer the daily spends over to the friends/family card so IF it gets declined/cloned/lost/stolen/ we still have all our other spending money on the other card.
Old 9 May 14, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
'OHANA
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by welovepedro View Post
We've got one to use. I haven't used it before. We are having 1 with a lump sum on, then have a friends/family one linked to it which is the one we will use for daily spending. Each night we'll transfer the daily spends over to the friends/family card so IF it gets declined/cloned/lost/stolen/ we still have all our other spending money on the other card.
This is exactly what we're doing although you can't use the app to transfer between cards - has to be the main website x
'OHANA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 14, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Milner
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrsMouse93 View Post
I'm ordering ours tonight and in the same situation as you, have always used TC's.

I believe you use like a credit card and if withdrawing cash, the ATM may charge, but FairFx don't.
Is that new that they dont charge for using at the ATM they did when we used it in 2012.
Hampton Lakes - October 2007, The Hamlets, Westhaven - July/August 2009, The Sanctuary, Westhaven - July/August 2012, Dibb Villa Highgate Park & 1 night at HRH - July 2015 2017 6 nights NY, 11 nights in Florida Dibb villa, Westhaven, Xmas 2018 Villa 1 night RPR 2019 7 nights in New York, 2020 Dibb Villa booked in Highlands, 3 nights in Cape Coral
Milner is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread