Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 25 Mar 24, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I ordered mine on line and got them delivered
I think they were about $30 each but the are heavy duty catering grade
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 24, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vowels View Post
Not sure about pickled eggs but love the black pudding wrap.
was never a fan of standard "chip shop" pickled eggs, but when i learned you could just use dill pickle juice, it was a gamechanger! they have a nice sweet, yet tangy taste. just throw them in the juice, and vacuum seal and leave in the fridge overnight. im going to steam some more jammy eggs tomorrow to throw in the pickle brine

(after that, ill re-use it to throw in some freshly cut gherkins - i've always got a few jars of various pickles in the fridge and a 5l container of white vinegar in the garage... as well as pickling, its really good for soaking cut potatoes in when making chips - it gives them a firmer texture... place the cut chips in a large bowl, rise with water till its clean, then cover with water, and throw in a big glug of vinegar and leave to soak for around an hour before drying off and frying (at least twice)
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 24, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Our local deli sells these... thehappybelly/

They are absolutely amazing. I have tried them all apart from the black pudding (yuck!).
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 24, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

so we did irish stew in the pressure cooker... just lamb shoulder chunks, onion, herbs and water for an hour, then added in carrot/swede/parsnip for a further 30 mins

i did the lamb shoulder joint in the water bath for 3 days at home, then kept in the fridge and reheated for 30 mins in the oven while the roast potatoes/parsnips were cooking

the popovers were GREAT! although my muffin tin is a little wide/shallow, so will definitely be getting proper popover tins later in the year

wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 24, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Wayne do you have any tips for cooking with ostrich steaks?

It’s not something we’ve had before but ds saw some in aldi and wanted to try them. I followed the cooking instructions but I’d say they were probably overdone as kinda dry and a little tough? On the plus side ds really liked it so definitely one I need to get the hang of cooking right.
Thanks
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 24, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i would cook them in my sous vide bath - 3-4 hours at 55c this should tenderise it enough without drying it out.

you can do this yourself easily without a water circulator if you have a coolbox - half fill the box with hot tap water, then just put them into a ziploc bag after seasoning with S&P, squeeze the air out of the bag, and keep submerged (put a pan lid on top of it or something to keep it submerged. stick the lid on the coolbox and leave for a few hours.

every hour, check the water temp and top up with a little boiling water to maintain the temperature at around 55c

once cooked, you can either store them in the fridge for a couple of days until needed, or sear them off in a hot pan (pat them dry first with paper towel) then do 90 secs on each side to sear/warm back through (give it an extra minute or so each side if cooking from cold)

alternatively, try confit - get some duck fat and slow cook the breasts in it at a low temp in the oven - this method here should work - cookingwithmichele/2012/...ed-beet-sauce/
(when the site says 250, i assume it means 250f - 120c)

Edited at 02:55 PM.
Old 12 Apr 24, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Thanks

The Aldi ones are pre sous vide cooked which is a bonus if I can get those ones again
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 24, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mandco View Post
Thanks

The Aldi ones are pre sous vide cooked which is a bonus if I can get those ones again
if thats the case, they are already fully cooked, so you just need to sear/reheat, theyll only need a couple of minutes on each side, any longer and they will dry out
Old 14 Apr 24, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

went to see HARRY HILL show his new film "the last caveman" at broadway cinema yesterday afternoon.

afterwards, we were "babysitting" three kids for a few hours (friend's gf is over from australia and we took them off their hands for a few hours), so I got the newly refurbished garden table out from under its cover for the first time, so dug the Ooni UK koda 16 out and made some pizza!

(and a second batch today)

Properoni chorizo slices and bacon pizzas, and a black pudding, goats cheese, beetroot and capers one. my favourite!

Mr B helped! (he also loved the pizza, and had a crust in his hand at all times before bed

Afterwards, I had some jerk chicken thighs I stuck on some skewers and grilled with my Stoovis grillkit. Cooked them to perfection and bagged up in the fridge for tomorrow's dinner. A Jamaican inspired burrito!