Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Jul 22, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
RescueRangers
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scouse_minx View Post
I’m sure it’s been a long time since it was this low but it feels like for like is a real possibility.

Its currently 1.1932 at time of writing. Tourist rate will be close to $1.13 in some places soon !
RescueRangers is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 22, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
traceyt
Imagineer

If the tourist rate gets back to 1.20 i'm biting the bullet and getting mine, dont think there's a hope of it going to 1.25 or higher before I go.
Old 5 Jul 22, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

As it stands with prices not including tax and tip , the price you see at a reastuarunt is less in pound eg $20 for a meal will actually cost you about £21.50. So long gone are the days of thinking your getting a good deal. We atually need a minimum rate of 1.27 to make the price you see on the menu equal the price in pounds.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 22, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by scouse_minx View Post
Wow… I never understand these things. But to me, economically things don’t seem that different to the start of the year but the exchange rate has plummeted.
The Ukraine war has had a big impact (large increases in energy costs ) which will be reflected in economic figures over the next quarter.

I work in financial services ( insurance) and not much has changed apart from interest rate increases but my friends who work in construction have noticed work slowing down. Hopefully, we will avoid a recession.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 22, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by RescueRangers View Post
Its currently 1.1932 at time of writing. Tourist rate will be close to $1.13 in some places soon !
That’s astounding… I can’t remember such a low rate. I remember DIBB days in 2019 and people were up in arms about 1.30 or so…
IBEX23 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 22, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by shack69 View Post
As it stands with prices not including tax and tip , the price you see at a reastuarunt is less in pound eg $20 for a meal will actually cost you about £21.50. So long gone are the days of thinking your getting a good deal. We atually need a minimum rate of 1.27 to make the price you see on the menu equal the price in pounds.
It’s crazy when you put it like this… that $60 steak at Disney looks less appealing for sure
Old 5 Jul 22, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
The Ukraine war has had a big impact (large increases in energy costs ) which will be reflected in economic figures over the next quarter.

I work in financial services ( insurance) and not much has changed apart from interest rate increases but my friends who work in construction have noticed work slowing down. Hopefully, we will avoid a recession.
We can only hope. I wish I had more knowledge on the subject to know when to hold off or when to buy. It feels like a lottery when exchanging for dollars lately
Old 5 Jul 22, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

It's been as high as 1.2124 and as low as 1.1899 today.

At the end of the day, on a couple of thousand pounds a couple of extra cents to the pound only makes $40 difference.
Old 5 Jul 22, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

In times of global troubles such as now with Russia/Ukraine, the high price of petroleum & gas and possible future shortage, many countries, pension funds and large corporates will transfer their cash into USD if not needed for day to day operations. The USD is a “currency of refuge”, it’s believed to hold its value better in troubled times.

Edited at 05:55 PM.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 22, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
In times of global troubles such as now with Russia/Ukraine, the high price of petroleum & gas and possible future shortage, many countries, pension funds and large corporates will transfer their cash into USD if not needed for day to day operations. The USD is a “currency of refuge”, it’s believed to hold its value better in troubled times.
Thank you for a detailed explanation. As I say I know nothing of these things but this helps me understand. So is it that the £ is not weak but the $ is very strong right now?