Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Aug 22, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
SmellyDelly
Trainee Dibber

I had to consent for my Mums life support to be switched off about 13 years ago.

It didn't even occur to me that the medical team were in any way wrong, they had done numerous tests and she was brain dead.

Without being too morbid she lasted quite a while once the machines were off, it was probably 6 or 7 minutes but felt like longer.

I didn't feel any guilt and I still don't, I did what I felt was right. I listened to the experts.

I think it must be very different if it's your baby lying there. I just hope he can soon be given some peace 💙
SmellyDelly is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vhm672 View Post
As distressing as it is look at the judgments. He isn’t alive and his body is decomposing internally. This needs to stop because think how much more distressing it will be if that internal decomposition starts manifesting externally.
I suppose I'm just trying to see it from the parents' perspective and how distressing it must be. And the hope that some miraculous breakthrough might happen.

I agree with you and others though that it does seem that that time has come for them to let go.

It's heartbreaking that this even happened to a 12 year old. I don't quite understand what happened.

But as a mum to a 14 yr old boy, it is very upsetting and there but for the grace of god go I.
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
It's a heartbreaking situation. He is being kept alive ... but who's to say there won't be some science breakthrough to bring him back? As his parent I think that would be difficult to discount and rule out.
He’s not alive though, his brain stem is in a state of necrosis ..
The air con in his room is on full to keep the room cold , i assume to slow down the changes in his body.

Science isn’t going to help him unfortunately

My dad was on life support and heart bypass machine for 3 days and that was more than long enough . The Consultant told us there was a tiny hope that giving him some kind of drug would possibly kick start the heart and they wanted to try.

So on the 3rd day they took him into theatre to try and it failed.
His machines were then disconnected, No one likes to have to make that decision. , but sometimes its the only answer , and to let them go peacefully .

His mother isn’t going to win this fight and surely she’d be better off now spending what little time there is left with her son.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Princess Ariel View Post
I do think it is harsh to not allow him to be transferred to a hospice too, his parents know the risks of transfer and are willing to take that risk and I believe they should be allowed to make that decision as his parents.
It is an absolutely utterly heartbreaking situation for all involved, it really upsets me reading and thinking about it.
From what I’ve read elsewhere. , he wouldn’t likely survive the journey and to find a hospice to take him would be very difficult .

Not least because they are peaceful places who don’t need a media circus .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

My friends & I all nurses ( some of us retired) discussed this heartbreaking situation only yesterday.
This is a situation that will end with the loss of a child, parents grieving.
I personally don't believe it's in Archies best interests to be moved to a hospice. The journey will be hazardous & if he makes it there he will be promptly removed from the machines which are keeping him alive as they don't have the necessary medical supplies/staff/skills to maintain him . His heart will stop within minutes as he is unable to breath unassisted. His parents wish him to die with privacy which they say they don't have at the minute ( true icu affords minimal privacy between patients). ICU will move him to a private room where they will have time with him before/after they remove the machines.
Archie death is unavoidable he's been gone since April when he was found unconscious.
The media circus/lawyers have prolonged the families suffering ( and Archies). This continual challenging in court by the parents is totally understandable, we'd all do it if it was an option. This needs to stop, laws need to change to prevent this drawn out situations that continual to happen. Charlie Gard, Alfie Evans were in the same situation & things need to change. The staff who are caring for Archie do care, they will be upset when he dies but are being portrayed as wanting to kill him. This is so very harmful for everyone. I remember the families & names of the children I nursed & who are no longer with us. Their children are in our hearts forever.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
huntmj
Excited about Disney

I have just read through the legal judgements in the earlier post and they are graphic and unpleasant.
An early submission on behalf of the parents indicated an acceptance that nothing could be done.
I do wonder about the people helping the parents in their quest.
I hope they will get through this eventually.
huntmj is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by huntmj View Post
I have just read through the legal judgements in the earlier post and they are graphic and unpleasant.
An early submission on behalf of the parents indicated an acceptance that nothing could be done.
I do wonder about the people helping the parents in their quest.
I hope they will get through this eventually.
The people “helping” the parents aren’t helping they are preying upon them and using their grief to try and secure a judgment that equates heartbeat to life. They can then use that judgment to support their position on abortion and other cases such as this. Christian Concern - I think I could find a lot of better terms to describe them.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 22, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
The judgments are here for anyone interested:-

judiciary.uk/judgments/b...-v-battersbee/ (Hayden J, 15th July)

judiciary.uk/judgments/h...sion-judgment/ (Court of Appeal, 25th July)
I work within paediatric healthcare and have read an awful lot of case files regarding children's health. But that is one of the saddest things I have ever read 😢

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 22, 03:15 AM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
The judgments are here for anyone interested:-

judiciary.uk/judgments/b...-v-battersbee/ (Hayden J, 15th July)

judiciary.uk/judgments/h...sion-judgment/ (Court of Appeal, 25th July)
Thank you for posting these links.

It's an utterly tragic read.

My heart goes out to the poor family, and as a mother I can understand the need to fight to the last. But this poor child needs to be at peace now 💔
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 22, 06:08 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I heard a medical lawyer on the radio last week who had sat in court and read all the reports.

Her concern was that archie could die at any moment while the parents were doing the court rounds and that by choosing to turn the life support system off at a time of their choice they would at least have a chance to all be together at the end rather than risk not being there.

It's soo tragic but sometimes you have to do what's right for the person, not what's right for you.
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List