Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Oct 19, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
I am sorry that homesickness is still an issue for some - I think all our teenagers are dealing with things exceptionally well.

We told DS this morning that unfortunately DH can’t come to HK - his mum is in hospital and he needs to be here for her. It was a difficult decision to make but the right one. DS understood why - if anything were to happen whilst in HK it would be awful for DH to be so far away.
I do hope your MiL improves Mel, I’m sure your son understands his dad has to stay for his grandmother. I hope you still manage to have a great time together xx
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ked View Post
The sad thing is, Kate isn’t homesick she’s lonely. She wants more friends but hasn’t found it as easy as she thought it would be. She has made a few and that is a great start but she likes to be busy all the time! That’s why she loved camp this summer because she was never alone
If she transfers to Cardiff then she’ll have more things to do and she’ll be 40 mins away if she’s lonely!
Making friends hasn’t been as easy as Georgia thought it would be either. Before uni she was told to use the door stop to leave door open for others to chat. This did not work, every other housemate has their door closed. They do not go into each other’s rooms to chat but they have now started to chat and spend time in the kitchen together.

The same with societies. Georgia signed up for loads, many have not planned anything, some have been very awkward as they have more second and third year members who were not very welcoming, some had very low turnouts (1-2 students including Georgia). All this could have made Georgia give up on the societies, but she has stuck with trying them and has found a couple that are very good and sociable. Walking societies seem to be some of the best, even though Georgia is not at all into fitness she joined these mainly to see if it would help with making friends and she has found them the best option for this. Maybe Kate could see if there are any she could join?

Cardiff is 30 minutes from us by train, so if you are in the same direction as us, I believe I can guessestimate the farming market town area you may live in Of course, you could be in a different direction, then I’m entirely wrong 😂

Train links from that town to Cardiff are excellent so that should work out a good choice for Kate if needed next year
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Ked
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Making friends hasn’t been as easy as Georgia thought it would be either. Before uni she was told to use the door stop to leave door open for others to chat. This did not work, every other housemate has their door closed. They do not go into each other’s rooms to chat but they have now started to chat and spend time in the kitchen together.

The same with societies. Georgia signed up for loads, many have not planned anything, some have been very awkward as they have more second and third year members who were not very welcoming, some had very low turnouts (1-2 students including Georgia). All this could have made Georgia give up on the societies, but she has stuck with trying them and has found a couple that are very good and sociable. Walking societies seem to be some of the best, even though Georgia is not at all into fitness she joined these mainly to see if it would help with making friends and she has found them the best option for this. Maybe Kate could see if there are any she could join?

Cardiff is 30 minutes from us by train, so if you are in the same direction as us, I believe I can guessestimate the farming market town area you may live in Of course, you could be in a different direction, then I’m entirely wrong 😂

Train links from that town to Cardiff are excellent so that should work out a good choice for Kate if needed next year
We are in Port Talbot so only 30 mins by train for us too😀
I will suggest a walking group as she will enjoy that. Today she’s been dog walking with the dog society and has had a great day! The Eco society meets twice a week and she is really enjoying that.
Ked is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ked View Post
We are in Port Talbot so only 30 mins by train for us too😀
I will suggest a walking group as she will enjoy that. Today she’s been dog walking with the dog society and has had a great day! The Eco society meets twice a week and she is really enjoying that.
Opposite direction then, I was thinking Abergavenny 😀 Still excellent train links to Cardiff as my son lives in Swansea and often catches the train to Cardiff.

I’m pleased the dog walking went well, Georgia is going on her first dog walking meet next Sunday.

Bristol’s walking group which is called Break Away, seems really well organised and they have had walks around the city, to museums, cafes and on the train to walk around nearby places like Bath and Weston Super Mare. It’s very friendly too. The eco group sounds good too. Georgia has had very mixed experiences with societies, some have been very poor but it’s worth trying them as some are excellent. I do hope Kate finds a few more friends soon, it’s so worrying for us too when they are not settling well or making friends 😔
Old 25 Oct 19, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Just wanted to wish Mel a happy reunion with her son in Hong Kong today. I’m sure that will be a tearful (happy tears) meet-up 😀

We have Georgia home briefly this weekend. It was her birthday Tuesday and it was very strange not to have her home. We messaged her and rang her for chats and she had cards and messaged from all her family and friends. She had a very busy day in university so didn’t really celebrate that day, but did go to the Cat Cafe with a friend yesterday to celebrate and she loved it there. We are going to the theatre tonight when she comes home and to the cinema tomorrow to see The Joker to celebrate her birthday (and mine on Sunday) and I have bought a nice birthday cake as a treat. She is going back Sunday morning to go on her dog walking society dog walk Sunday afternoon

She had another good week, been to a few cafe meet ups with friends and societies. She has said she is feeling a little homesick again since her birthday (4 weeks since she’s been home now) so she’s ready for her weekend home
Old 25 Oct 19, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
CRUELLA
Imagineer

Mobile

It does help reading everyone’s experience s ! I have my boy home for a long weekend but I’m feeling anxious about him going away again 😭 it’s making me realise how much I’ve missed him! He also feels like it’s going to be hard to go back.
CRUELLA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 19, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Just wanted to wish Mel a happy reunion with her son in Hong Kong today. I’m sure that will be a tearful (happy tears) meet-up 😀

We have Georgia home briefly this weekend. It was her birthday Tuesday and it was very strange not to have her home. We messaged her and rang her for chats and she had cards and messaged from all her family and friends. She had a very busy day in university so didn’t really celebrate that day, but did go to the Cat Cafe with a friend yesterday to celebrate and she loved it there. We are going to the theatre tonight when she comes home and to the cinema tomorrow to see The Joker to celebrate her birthday (and mine on Sunday) and I have bought a nice birthday cake as a treat. She is going back Sunday morning to go on her dog walking society dog walk Sunday afternoon

She had another good week, been to a few cafe meet ups with friends and societies. She has said she is feeling a little homesick again since her birthday (4 weeks since she’s been home now) so she’s ready for her weekend home
Thanks Susan! I am now happily in HK with my boy! We have been out to eat (pizza express - he has only had one pizza since he has been here) and the bank of mum has been put into action on the t-shirt front.

I have been kicked out of the room while he practices his chinese!

So very lovely to see him - he is in great form!

Have fun everyone who has their student back in the fold!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Mobile

My DD is coming home this evening for a week 😊. First time she’s been home since leaving for uni on 14th September. Her plans include spending days cuddling the cat!

Mel have a fabulous visit in HK with your son 🥰.

And the same to everyone who is just about to, or has just, had their student home for a visit (or maybe you are visiting them).
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CRUELLA View Post
It does help reading everyone’s experience s ! I have my boy home for a long weekend but I’m feeling anxious about him going away again 😭 it’s making me realise how much I’ve missed him! He also feels like it’s going to be hard to go back.
I have found it difficult when Georgia goes back too. It does make you realise how much you miss them (as the house is so much quieter 😀 ) I’m lucky as Georgia isn’t too far away so I can look forward to her next visit. She has been 4 weeks away this time and she said this is probably the longest she wants to be away (at this point of course) DH has just picked her up in Bristol so I have around 40 minutes to wait til I see her again now 😀
Old 25 Oct 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Thanks Susan! I am now happily in HK with my boy! We have been out to eat (pizza express - he has only had one pizza since he has been here) and the bank of mum has been put into action on the t-shirt front.

I have been kicked out of the room while he practices his chinese!

So very lovely to see him - he is in great form!

Have fun everyone who has their student back in the fold!
So pleased to hear you are there safely and you have had a great reunion. I did laugh at him kicking you out of the room though 😂

It’s great to see them and know that they are happy xx