Notices

Old 11 Aug 20, 06:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Switzerland Summer 2020 - Day 9 - Up in the Cable Cars

We were rudely awaken at about 6am by a delivery truck right outside the door. It beeped and the delivery men were not quiet! Didn't mean we got up any quicker though!

After breakfast we got ready and drove into Verbier. The first stop was the tourist office so that we could get our VIP passes. We had to pay the local tourist tax and then we were given a card each. This cost 72 euros. The advantage was that we got to use the ski lifts for free (and as a day pass for the four of us would have been about 140 euros this was a bargain!) There were other things included too!

Having got the cards, we made our way upto the gondola.

Masks were compulsory here but in the gondola we could take them off as there was just us in there (they were tiny!)

June was very good - she just sat and looked out of the window!

At the top of this one, we transferred onto another lift. O and I went on the chair option whilst J and F took June into a cabin. There were about 4 chairs for every cabin but it wasn't busy.

It was certainly easier than walking!

The views at the top were as fabulous as ever!

The next stage was a cable car up over the glacier. I don't like cable cars for several reasons. One is that you are in there with other people (masks were compulsory) and secondly there is always a lot if waiting as it is one up and one down at any one time!

We then had to get a second one upto the very top!

This was Mont Fort at 3300m.

It was cold up here - though we all had sleeves to put on. Many did not - a lot of best tips and cold looking people and children around!

From here you can see Mont Blanc and other mountains!

F right at the very top!

After about 30m we caught the two cable cars down.

At the bottom of the second one, J and O decided they would walk down to the chalet (posted as a 90m hike). They would take June. I volunteered to go via the lifts as we needed to get the car. F decided she would come with me!

The sun was certainly warmer down the mountain but you could see the rain clouds coming in.

We took a chair lift down then a cabin. Going downhill on a chair isn't my favorite thing to do but it was fine!

In the town pretty much all the shops were shut for lunch so we headed back to the chalet. The boys and June arrived about 30m later as the rain was starting. They said it was hard work as it was very steep.

The very late lunch was a mixture of things - grilled cheese, crisps, veggies and then we rested up. About 5pm J,F and I went back in to Verbier to have a look at the shops. O stayed behind dog sitting and revising (though apparently June whined the whole time for J!)

J got a new waterproof jacket in the sales and F saw a coat she liked - we decided to sleep on that.

Once back home we had dinner- a veggie stir fry with noodles and played the usual games (the kids are catching up on Boogle - they want the french version to out wit us! ) and I didn't lose at cards.

There was wire a lot of rain and a storm. F took June out for a wee walk in a lull and we were all in bed by 10pm!

Edited at 06:57 AM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 06:53 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 11 Aug 20 6:53 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I hate it when delivery lorries wake you early on holiday, our last visit to Disney World was always an early start as the morning deliveries into POFQ woke me at 6am each day 😭

I’m not sure if I could be brave enough to use a chair but the cabins would be my choice of getting up and down the mountains 😂 I love how brave June was to go in the cabins.

Again those views are fantastic, Switzerland certainly is a beautiful country, thank you for sharing the photos with us 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

I’m not sure I’d cope very well with the chair lifts - but the views are stunning. Looks like such a gorgeous place to be.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Imagineer

Love a trip on a cable car 🚠

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Another fabulous day, annoying delivery drivers at that time in the morning!
Wonderful views again, June was clearly having a great time looking out of the cable car cabin!
Always lovely to do a little bit of shopping on holiday!
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
What a lovely day, would do the cabin as you wouldn’t get me on one of those chairs 😮
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Amazing views. Gosh I think you are brave going on those contraptions, I can barely manage the theme park ones let alone high up in mountains.
Good timing beating the rain.
Hope no rude awakenings with loud lorries tomorrow !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Some more lovely viewsAnd as you say a change from hiking up!

Joan
Old 21 Aug 20, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’d like to think I’d be brave enough to get on a chair lift, but I’m not sure! DH wouldn’t (doesn’t like heights), so we’d probably opt for the cable car 🚠 as it’s more enclosed! Fabulous views from the top, and well done for forward-thinking about needing a jacket at the top! DH & I went on a cable car in Palm Springs years ago. Luckily DH told me to bring a coat - like you say, so many people at the top didn’t and were freezing!
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List