Notices

Old 24 Feb 22, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

ARIZONA 2022: A National Park Road Trip - Day 6 Page and Lower Antelope Canyon

I fell asleep at about 8.30pm according to O. It is a bit of a vicious circle - fall asleep early, wake up early, be tired, fall asleep early!

This morning I was awake at 4am - which is about 7.5 hours sleep which for me is pretty good! I looked and the weather app and saw that snow was forecast in Page. Not what I wanted to read as we had a tour at Lower Antelope Canyon at 8.30am that was the main reason for coming to Page!

I went to the windows and no snow yet. But going back 30 minutes later snow was falling but didn't look to be sticking too badly.

I got up for a shower at 6.30am and got O up 15 minutes later. We were down at breakfast by 7am. It was pretty quiet. I had a toasted bagel with scrambled egg and O had toast and jam, yogurt and a chocolate muffin. Everything was in sealed bags and we had to wear plastic gloves. I was disappointed that there were no cinnamon bagels!

While eating breakfast I got an email from the tour (Ken's Tour) saying that there may be disruptions and to keep an eye on the Facebook page. There was nothing so we decided we would go as it wasn't that far.

Just as we got there, I had an email saying that our tour was delayed by 30 minutes so that they could make sure everything was ok after the snow.

I had chosen the Lower Antelope Canyon Tour after a lot of research between this one and the Upper Antelope Canyon Tour which was twice the price. It seemed that both were good so it was personal preference. I went with the cheaper option! It was $50 and worth every cent.

We checked in and filled in a Covid questionnaire. They were very strict with masks- even taking it off for a selfie would have you immediately taken off the tour.

At 9am we were put into groups. We were in a group of 6 - a Korean couple and an older couple from Colorado. We had to walk about 200m to the entrance of the canyon and then down some ladders which were pretty steep at times. Once in the Canyon all I can say is wow! I didn't expect to be able to recreate all the photos I had seen but it was just out of the world.

Apologies now for the photo overload to come!

Our guide Lemar offered to take our phones at all the best places to take amazing photos. He was such a good guide with lots of information. The tour actually took about an hour but I never felt rushed and both O and I were so pleased that we had done it.

We were also lucky as the skies turned blue which made for better photos. Despite it being cold out side in the canyon it was a pleasant temperature. We tipped Lemar $20 (which seemed to be the going rate).

We went into the shop and O got another magnet to add to his collection.

We then drove to look at the dam. There was a convenient car park and we stayed about 15 minutes. It was worth a look but wasn't an activity you could spend a long time at.

We decided to drive to the shores of Lake Powell on the other side of the dam but turned around when we realized you had to enter the National Park and pay a $30 fee!

We decided that even though it was only 11am we would go to lunch! Denny's was the restaurant of choice as it was close by and a known quantity! I had cinnamon roll pancakes which also came with two eggs (over easy), hash browns and they swapped out the meat for toast. O had the same but with banana and chocolate pancakes. It was a lot of good but very yummy! Cost including a coffee and the tip was $34.

The weather was not good so we came back for a rest. About 1.15pm we decided we would try another short walk. The weather was nice at the hotel but in the 10 minutes it took for us to drive there snow started again. We decided yet again to abandon - especially as I only have one pair of shoes! Wet feet is not my favorite state of being!

Back at the hotel we had another rest until about 3pm when O logged onto his lecture and I went to Walmart

Now I love looking round foreign supermarkets. Walmart was literally less than a mile from the hotel and was enormous. I spent a very enjoyable 90 minutes looking around whilst chatting to some friends on WhatsApp- lots of photos sent of strange things (and not so strange things!). I managed to escape with minimal purchases as I just don't have the space to bring lots of things back. Good for my bank balance.

I got back just as O's lecture finished. We decided to try again for a walk and headed out to the Grandview Outlook as the sun looked to be out there! It was a lovely walk with views out to Lake Powell and Tower Butte. And the snow stayed away!

We decided we would go to dinner locally. O fancied fish and chips so we went to Gone West family restaurant which was about a 5 minute walk. It was an enormous restaurant and O said the photos on the online reviews showed it to be full. We both had fish and chips which O loved but I thought were just ok. He followed this up with a chocolate lava cake! This came to $33 including tip.

We walked back and I managed to stay awake until about 10pm.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 22, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Absolutely love Antelope Canyon and Horsehoe Bend- absolutely amazing scenery and heaven for a photographer.

Lovely airport manager at Page - he once insisted on giving us a lift from the airport to our hotel after we arrived on the last flight of the day. We just had to wait until he put the airport lights out and lock the front door.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 22, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 24 Feb 22 10:48 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 22, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Wow those photos are fantastic

Joan
Old 24 Feb 22, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
lindasarahlou
slightly serious Dibber

Fabulous photos, both Upper and Lower Antelope Canyons are spectacular. We took soo many photos, every view is a photo op. This is an absolute "must do" if you are anywhere in the area!
90 Orlando/Clearwater; 92 Orlando/Daytona,Ft Laud, Keys, Everglades, Naples/Clearwater 95 Cedar Point, Niagara, Orlando 02 (now with kids!) DLP Santa Fe 04 Lindfields 07 Doral Woods/Daytona 500; 07 Sanctuary Westhaven; 10 Calabay Parc; 13 Highlands Reserve 15 DC, Smokies Coasters Cumbrian Lakes 16 Toronto Cedar Point Niagara + coasters 17 Highlands Reserve 18 NY 18 Vegas & Canyons 19 West Stonebridge 23 California Coasters
lindasarahlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 22, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Those photos are amazing, what a truly beautiful place to see. Definitely a bucket list destination to tick off your list, it’s incredible. Sounds really good value for the tour too.

I love all the photos from Walmart too, such fun to go on a virtual shopping trip with you 😂
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 22, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Fabulous photos, I’m pleased the weather didn’t stop your tour-it looked amazing.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 22, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Amazing photos again, including Walmart! So glad you are having such a good time
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 22, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Have never seen anything like your Lower Antelope Canyon photos. They are simply stunning! 😮 Not sure I’d have been very good on the ladders though! 😳
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 22, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Those Lower Antelope photos are out of this world! Not sure how I would be on the ladder but it really looks stunning So glad the weather was kind to you

Just got to love a Dennys and Walmart both good fun in different ways