Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Apr 22, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Global Entry - few questions

So have been looking into global entry and was wondering if we have left it too late for our planned trip in October? Also is it like an Esta and tied to your passport as mine expires in Jan 23 and it would be a lot of effort to apply when I could only use it on one trip? unless of course renewing it is much easier than the original application?

All advice welcome!
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 22, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Not necessarily too late for October, though you wouldn’t be able to use it on that trip unless you were offered a virtual interview before then to complete enrolment. More likely that you would complete enrolment on arrival on that trip (if available at your location / time of arrival) or do the interview while in the US on that trip, and then use GE for future trips.

GE does not expire with your passport like ESTA, you can update the system with new passport details when you renew your passport (though I’m not sure if could change your passport mid-application without having to restart the GE process). The GE expiry / renewal date is independent of passport expiry, it will be valid for 5-6 years from date of final approval at interview (it expires on your next birthday after 5 years have passed since final approval).

Edited at 11:42 PM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 22, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks Peko, that is really helpful, we are staying at the Hyatt at MCO on our arrival night so we could maybe do the interview that evening or the following morning. Does the interview take very long? When I hear interview I think job interview and having to prepare presentations and be ready for tricky questions - not how my ideal holiday would start. Is the interview a difficult process?
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 22, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Theoretically they can ask anything they want, in practice for the vast majority it is a 5 min process of taking fingerprints / photos and finalising the approval. The interview slots are 10-15 mins, which tells you that it’s not intended to be an onerous process.

Once you have conditional approval, you should be able to do Enrolment On Arrival (EOA) at immigration if your international arrival point is MCO (EOA is available at most major US gateways, though times vary by airport). You could book an interview as a backup and try EOA when you get there, the interview appointment will cancel if you are approved via EOA.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 22, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
Theoretically they can ask anything they want, in practice for the vast majority it is a 5 min process of taking fingerprints / photos and finalising the approval. The interview slots are 10-15 mins, which tells you that it’s not intended to be an onerous process.

Once you have conditional approval, you should be able to do Enrolment On Arrival (EOA) at immigration if your international arrival point is MCO (EOA is available at most major US gateways, though times vary by airport). You could book an interview as a backup and try EOA when you get there, the interview appointment will cancel if you are approved via EOA.
Brilliant thank you so much for all this info, I know what my trip planning job is for tomorrow
Old 20 Apr 22, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Rizzoface
slightly serious Dibber

i wouldnt say its too late. i think wait time for conditional approval is around 15weeks for the us part so still time. Im still waiting for mine to come through and did mine middle of march so a while to go yet.
Rizzoface is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 22, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
We are doing the same… in 4 weeks ie staying at MCO Hyatt on arrival and have an interview planned for 1st morning at 0830hrs and 0845hrs (2 slots every 15 mins). Hoping we can all go in together.

Or will try for EoA when landing.

It took us approx 14 weeks from applying to getting conditional approval so still have time for your October trip.

Note that you should be able to use the TSA pre check security at the end of the holiday if approved.
Old 20 Apr 22, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
There is another thread here

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1204663

Lots of useful info on it, I got my conditional approval last night, 15 weeks after applying.
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 22, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

My entry was applied for on one passport, during lockdown I got a new passport.

When we arrived in November they couldn't complete the process on my new passport, 3 weeks ago we went again and that time I took my current passport and the expired passport that I had applied with. This was accepted and the process took no longer than 20 minutes.
2point is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 22, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Rizzoface
slightly serious Dibber

DId you manage to do the interview on arrival?
Originally Posted by 2point View Post
My entry was applied for on one passport, during lockdown I got a new passport.

When we arrived in November they couldn't complete the process on my new passport, 3 weeks ago we went again and that time I took my current passport and the expired passport that I had applied with. This was accepted and the process took no longer than 20 minutes.
Rizzoface is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List