Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Jul 22, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney17
Apprentice Imagineer

What age do you stop paying for your children a holidays?

We have hit an age where our eldest is 18 and we have paid for this years holiday that we are currently on.
But started me thinking at what point do they pay/ contribute to holidays? 🤔
Disney17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby29
Imagineer

I would imagine at 18 they would have their own spending money, I guess there’s no proper cut off for a child’s holiday, or family member if they can’t afford to go. It depends if you want them with you, or leave them home alone.
Old 30 Jul 22, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

My 20 year old is coming with us next month - we've paid for it all as he only works part time in McDonalds while he's at university. I think this is the last time he will want to come as he graduates next year.

We'll probably always take our youngest as he has special needs.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

I would think either when they start working, or finish full time education if at university. But that's if they are going with you. If they want to go off clubbing in ibiza with their mates, then it's when they can pay for it themselves
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I stopped taking any of them when they were 18.

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

For me it is when they can afford to pay for themselves and they and you want them to go. Personally it is up to you as a parent what you do with your children.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I can't remember ever really stopping. We didn't pay for their teenage friends holidays but if they want to come with us we still pay basics like flight and hotel. Villa is free if they come with us but they are expected to make a contribution if they go as guests.

ETA There's no right or wrong answer here of course.

Edited at 04:21 PM.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
My dd is 24 and working. She has paid for her cruise.

They both paid last year as DD18 was working loads and it was a case of if we want to go then everyone will have to pay their own way.
She hasn't paid anything this year as she's been studying and hasn't worked nearly as much. I also want her to save for Uni.

So really no strict rule. It just depends on the circumstances.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridadot
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Disney17 View Post
We have hit an age where our eldest is 18 and we have paid for this years holiday that we are currently on.
But started me thinking at what point do they pay/ contribute to holidays? 🤔
Not a definite age really but as soon as they were working and earning so it did tend to be 18 or thereabouts.
Floridadot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 22, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Same here, depends on what they can afford.

We still paid for DD’s until she was 23, she’d graduated by then but was paying London rent & we wanted her to come with us, so we paid for her.

DS is 19 & currently saving to go to Bali next year with his GF so I have a feeling our days of him holidaying with us are over, regardless of who’s paying!

We paid for his flight out to Florida this year (he’s working the summer there) as felt it was fair after paying for DD’s holidays until much older.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List