Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 8 Aug 22, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinklebell
Very Serious Dibber

Tipping - restaurants cash or card

In restaurants do you top in cash or add the card bill?

Also hotel buffet breakfasts-how much to tip?
Tinklebell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Tinklebell View Post
In restaurants do you top in cash or add the card bill?

Also hotel buffet breakfasts-how much to tip?
Both, if I pay cash I will tip cash, if I pay by card/room charge I will add to the bill most of the time but sometimes leave cash just for the tip.

Are we talking free hotel buffets where you do everything yourself?
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Big problem tipping in restaurants this summer.
I always tip but when we used a card we began to realise they took swipe or chip n pin of actual bill, they then brought back a paper Copy to add tip and sign.
We obviously did but realised a few days inn the tip had not been retrieved.
I’m presuming the uk card provider blocks 2nd attempt to charge the card.
This did not happen everywhere. We opted for cash tips in end.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
lilo82
Imagineer

We always use cash for tips. We pay main bill with card.
lilo82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mariesmith
Imagineer

We paid with card or at Disney dining credits or gift card. We would always pay the tips in cash.

I don't trust that the servers would actually see much of the tips paid by card.
Mariesmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Derbydave4
Excited about Disney

We had the same situation where they present the bill and when you pay by card they put the card through and then present you with a second bill to add the tip and sign even though they have already given you your card back
I am not sure why they don’t use the card readers at the table to allow you to add the tip as you pay the bill
We have found that although the original payment appeared on the card about three days later it has been updated and increased to include the tip
Guess there must be a reason for this maybe the IRS require tips on CC to be declared separately
Derbydave4 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
T.jenni
Excited about Disney

I always ask the servers here what they prefer so I’ll probably do the same over there. Mostly people seem to prefer cash but some find card better for budgeting.
T.jenni is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
I saw a recent vlog by Theme Park Bazza where they went to Perkins. He leaves a cash tip because he said it takes over a week for a card tip to reach the server. I think we’re going to try and leave cash tips as far as we can when we go. Does anyone know if it’s still acceptable to leave $1 pp should we go to a buffet (not Disney) eg Golden Corral? It’s been a long time since we were last there.
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneydad001
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridafan View Post
Does anyone know if it’s still acceptable to leave $1 pp should we go to a buffet (not Disney) eg Golden Corral? It’s been a long time since we were last there.

not sure if you are being serious with the 20 - 25% recommended tips

when we used to go to sweet tomatoes we would always give the server $10, he was always appreciative

always felt wrong giving the server $40 - 50 at chef Mickey and then $10 at Sweet toms , for the same buffet meal and often a worse service
Disneydad001 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

We always tip cash, we want to eat at Fords this time so not sure whether to give a small extra cash tip to server?