Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 8 Aug 22, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
deruisire
Proud to wear my Ears

Universal Card holds

Hi all,

Checked into Sapphire falls last night for 4 nights. They have put a 100 dollar a night hold on my card. Found it unusual as we have no intention of charging to the room. They said this hold would take 5-7 days to get returned.

We check into HRH for 10 nights on Thursday. I don’t fancy getting 1000 dollar hold on my card. Is there anyway to avoid this at all? 1000 dollars is a lot although if it takes 5-7 days to lift then maybe it’s max 600-700?

Didn’t do my research into this before leaving at all. Is this normal?
deruisire is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by deruisire View Post
Hi all,

Checked into Sapphire falls last night for 4 nights. They have put a 100 dollar a night hold on my card. Found it unusual as we have no intention of charging to the room. They said this hold would take 5-7 days to get returned.

We check into HRH for 10 nights on Thursday. I don’t fancy getting 1000 dollar hold on my card. Is there anyway to avoid this at all? 1000 dollars is a lot although if it takes 5-7 days to lift then maybe it’s max 600-700?

Didn’t do my research into this before leaving at all. Is this normal?
Yep! This happened to us in May when we checked into portofino, I did post about it at the time to try and warn people about it. Try and negotiate a smaller amount, they wanted $200 a night at portofino but we managed to get them to agree to $100 a night. Edited to add they were absolutely adamant we had to pay some sort of security deposit or they wouldn’t let us check in!
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

They took no hold in Cabana Bay .
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by inky1 View Post
They took no hold in Cabana Bay .
I don’t think they do at the value resorts because we didn’t have a hold at endless summer
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Derbydave4
Excited about Disney

I think they only do it at the deluxe resorts as we had it at Royal Pacific but not at Cabana Bay
The RP hold came off within 2 days of leaving apart from 0.01p that stayed for about 10 days
At Cabana because we wanted to charge to the room they asked for a $500 hold but that came off as soon as we checked out and they put on the actual charges
Derbydave4 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
zoe3003
Imagineer

We are at RPR and it’s $200 a night hold.
We were asked if we were ok with that, I guess the alternative is not being able to
Charge to our room.
SSR & RPR Aug 15
zoe3003 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by zoe3003 View Post
We are at RPR and it’s $200 a night hold.
We were asked if we were ok with that, I guess the alternative is not being able to
Charge to our room.
They won’t let you into the room without a hold.

I’m surprised more people get caught out with this. It’s been standard for so long in 99% of the hotels I’ve stayed in around the world.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Softy View Post
They won’t let you into the room without a hold.

I’m surprised more people get caught out with this. It’s been standard for so long in 99% of the hotels I’ve stayed in around the world.
To be fair I think Universal have only recently started doing this as we’ve stayed at HRH and RPR before and they’ve not taken any deposit at all so to go from no Deposit to a $200 a night deposit is a lot.
Like I said we did manage to negotiate it down to $100 a night but the alternative was we couldn’t stay there! I do think TA’s need to start stating this when you book as it’s a huge hold for some people.
Old 9 Aug 22, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by Princess Ariel View Post
To be fair I think Universal have only recently started doing this as we’ve stayed at HRH and RPR before and they’ve not taken any deposit at all so to go from no Deposit to a $200 a night deposit is a lot.
Like I said we did manage to negotiate it down to $100 a night but the alternative was we couldn’t stay there! I do think TA’s need to start stating this when you book as it’s a huge hold for some people.
They’ve done it for years but normally you can negotiate. I got Portofino down to $50 a night last month but as you said there was no way they were not putting a hold on.

No holds at Endless Summer or Cabana Bay this trip and no holds at Hard Rock or Sapphire in Feb. I just said I didn’t want charging facilities.

Portofino is the only one I’ve not been able to completely refuse. The others put through a penny just to open a charge in case there’s something they need to bill you for.

Be aware if you book direct with Universal and check in online a hold for charging will automatically be set up.

Edited at 02:32 PM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
They’ve done it for years but normally you can negotiate. I got Portofino down to $50 a night last month but as you said there was no way they were not putting a hold on.

No holds at Endless Summer or Cabana Bay this trip and no holds at Hard Rock or Sapphire in Feb. I just said I didn’t want charging facilities.

Portofino is the only one I’ve not been able to completely refuse. The others put through a penny just to open a charge in case there’s something they need to bill you for.

Be aware if you book direct with Universal and check in online a hold for charging will automatically be set up.
That’s so strange as we’ve never had a hold up until our trip in May so we were caught out by it too. I wonder if it’s only recently they’ve really clamped down and are putting the hold on all guests?