Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 9 Aug 22, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by Princess Ariel View Post
That’s so strange as we’ve never had a hold up until our trip in May so we were caught out by it too. I wonder if it’s only recently they’ve really clamped down and are putting the hold on all guests?
Quite possibly or maybe it’s just Portofino. We’ve had it before at Hard stock and RPR. As you say fine if it’s a night or two. We were at Portofino for 5 nights and no way did I want a $1000 hold.
Old 9 Aug 22, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

I just queried this with Sapphire Falls as I wasn’t made aware of a $100 per night charge at check in and with a few days there on my next trip I thought it best to check. I only use my debit card in the US so pending charges can take a while to drop off and block spends on the trip.

Here was the reply:

So it seems at Sapphire Falls at least you can decline a room charge but leave a penny on file in case of room damages. There is also a cash option which may be preferable as this might get your money back quicker at check out rather than waiting for a charge to drop off.
IBEX23 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by scouse_minx View Post
I just queried this with Sapphire Falls as I wasn’t made aware of a $100 per night charge at check in and with a few days there on my next trip I thought it best to check. I only use my debit card in the US so pending charges can take a while to drop off and block spends on the trip.

Here was the reply:

So it seems at Sapphire Falls at least you can decline a room charge but leave a penny on file in case of room damages. There is also a cash option which may be preferable as this might get your money back quicker at check out rather than waiting for a charge to drop off.
Really helpful for those going to quote that. Thanks and that mirrors our experience at Sapphire in Feb.
Old 9 Aug 22, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

That’s so strange as we’ve never had a hold up until our trip in May so we were caught out by it too. I wonder if it’s only recently they’ve really clamped down and are putting the hold on all guests?
I’ve definitely had it at the big 3 whenever I’ve checked in over the last 10 years or so. I don’t monitor it after though, as I use a credit card that has a high enough limit for the trip.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Softy View Post
I’ve definitely had it at the big 3 whenever I’ve checked in over the last 10 years or so. I don’t monitor it after though, as I use a credit card that has a high enough limit for the trip.
I wonder if we’ve never had it before because we had only booked 1 night stays? (Only to get the express passes) our trip in May we stayed 2 nights at portofino so I wonder if this was why? So weird!
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Really helpful for those going to quote that. Thanks and that mirrors our experience at Sapphire in Feb.
That’s what I thought as I know how some staff make up the rules as they go along. Felt it was worthwhile to get something in writing.
Old 9 Aug 22, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Triciamcl
VIP Dibber

Triciamcl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
To be fair I think Universal have only recently started doing this as we’ve stayed at HRH and RPR before and they’ve not taken any deposit at all so to go from no Deposit to a $200 a night deposit is a lot.
Like I said we did manage to negotiate it down to $100 a night but the alternative was we couldn’t stay there! I do think TA’s need to start stating this when you book as it’s a huge hold for some people.
we stayed in RPR about 5 yrs ago and no hold taken then but we did just stay one night and did not charge to the room this time around with the grandkids we are staying at Cabaña Bay for 5 nights so just wont charge to the room dont want holds at universal and then holds at Disney would rather just charge at Disney

2010 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2011 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2012 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2015 POFQ, RPR and DOUBLETREE RESORT
2017 POFQ

2022 POFQ & Cabana Bay
Triciamcl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

That penny hold got my card blocked in Feb! Not at universal but when we were waiting to board our cruise I checked my banking app. That little hold was “pending,” we got on and went offline for 4 days only to be hauled off at security when disembarking and sent back to the ship as our card declined! Mucho embarrassing and when I called the bank they acted like that was so unusual when surely they see it all the time with US visitors.

Moral of the story, If you go for the penny hold double check your cards incase the algorithm doesn’t like it and it gets a hold put on.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Yep happened to me when I checked in on 18th July.

Still waiting on my money back as I made the mistake of using my Revolut prepaid card. I’m out of pocket by nearly $400
Old 10 Aug 22, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
That penny hold got my card blocked in Feb! Not at universal but when we were waiting to board our cruise I checked my banking app. That little hold was “pending,” we got on and went offline for 4 days only to be hauled off at security when disembarking and sent back to the ship as our card declined! Mucho embarrassing and when I called the bank they acted like that was so unusual when surely they see it all the time with US visitors.

Moral of the story, If you go for the penny hold double check your cards incase the algorithm doesn’t like it and it gets a hold put on.
Oh that’s a nightmare! But of course, good your bank was checking.

I’ve had the penny hold a few times when staying at Cabana Bay, and my bank has never queried it which makes me wonder if they’d spot a fraud attempt 😳