Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Aug 22, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Grandee
VIP Dibber

Cataract Surgery

My optician has just informed me that he is going to refer me for cataract surgery - part of the joys of getting older I suppose. Not something I am looking forward to and not too sure what is involved, but if anyone has had this procedure, would appreciate some advice.
Grandee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I had both eyes done when I was 60. It was the proverbial doddle if not a little weird!

I remember comparing it to getting a new HD TV after a few days, clear as crystal.

Good luck 👍
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
My mum had a cataract operation last week, she was petrified bless her but a week later the eyesight in the eye they did is amazing she can see better without her glasses on than with them on, she said it wasn’t painful, felt a little weird and for a few days her eye felt like it had a bit of grit in it but nothing more than that , she’s actually keen on the second eye being done now.
Her referral was pretty quick considering wait times at the minute, she was referred by her optician about three mo the ago, got an assessment appointment towards end of July was told it might be about 8 weeks for her to wait next day appointment came through for the following week.
As for the procedure she said it was very high tech a machine talked the doctor through it all , a nurse was beside her holding her hand the whole time and afterwards she had tea and biccies

Edited at 03:23 PM.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

My aunt had both eyes done about 4 years ago now, as others have said the outcome was amazing, almost immediately she could see better than before, she would highly recommend getting it done, the hospital staff were wonderful with her, one held her hand while the procedure was done, then gave her tea and biscuits after x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Teach0778
Imagineer

Teach0778's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
My mum had it done on Friday. Bit of stinging afterwards but very quick procedure. Although you are in day surgery for a few hours the actual procedure only took 15 minutes. Said it was pain free.
She now has the predicament of being able to see without her glasses with one eye and not the other. Needs to wait 4 weeks before going back to optician.

She definitely said she’s glad she got it done. Hasn’t had such good vision in that eye since she was a child!
Old 16 Aug 22, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Had my one eye done a couple of months ago. The procedure was quite painless, they put eye drops in so you don’t feel the needle with the anaesthetic in.
They put a frame around my head with a hole to operate on the eye.
You can’t feel anything or see anything.
My only issue has been some swelling is taking a time to reduce so I’m on steroid eye for two months.
The difference in colour is quite amazing the non operated cataract eye has a brown tinge to white colours which yiu don’t see when both eyes have them, but the one operated on is bright and a more blue white
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
bigseve
Imagineer

Had both of mine done in 2018, one in May the other October, best thing ever. Seeing things in their proper colour rather than feeling i was looking through thin greased proof paper was incredible.

The procedure was not painful at all. It did feel a little weird with all the water splashing around and i was petrified that i’d keep trying to close my eye but they clamp it. The nurse new i was worried and could not have been any nicer. Op was done in about 10 minutes and the nurse kept counting down the minutes for me. I was 6th in out of 6 the first one so was there for a while, second eye i was first and i was done and dusted after about an hour or so.
bigseve is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Perthite
Very Serious Dibber

One of the most common types of surgery in the world - your surgeon could probably do it with his eyes closed!

It’s a bit uncomfortable but is painless and is all over in about 10 minutes. I could see shapes moving around against a bright white background, it was like being in the middle of some weird computer game.
Perthite is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My sis had hers done about 5 years ago and the difference to her sight was great. we have glaucoma due to family and I will need cataracts done sometime but not very soon my eye consultant says.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Many years ago I remember seeing a documentary and it was about these operations being done on a hospital ship off the coast of India. It was a production line of hundreds of patients. Unbelievable.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List