Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Aug 22, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
This joke might be better understood in the States?! Full stop.
Ah now I understand it. Thank you.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando Soon
Imagineer

Been watching and contributing to this post. Thank you op for starting a good and respectful post and to others for keeping it alive by not attacking others views.
Old 17 Aug 22, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Gull
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Orlando Soon View Post
Been watching and contributing to this post. Thank you op for starting a good and respectful post and to others for keeping it alive by not attacking others views.
Thanks for that ! It's been interesting reading the different points of view and I'm glad it stayed respectful. Certainly made me think.
Gull is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gull View Post
Thanks for that ! It's been interesting reading the different points of view and I'm glad it stayed respectful. Certainly made me think.
Me, too. Thanks for starting the thread.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Itsabunthing
Apprentice Imagineer

It has indeed been an excellent, respectful thread, so thank you very much for starting it Gull. Very interesting to see others' opinions and reasoning.

Pleased it's been discussed in such a sensible manner.

Edited at 08:50 PM.
Itsabunthing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
51-a- good year
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm an avid radio 4 listener and a few years ago I was unusually in the car one morning so caught a few items on Womans hour I was driving around delivering things so didnt bother to change the station

I heard parts of 5 articles that morning
3 were about women being treated unfairly compared to men and 2 were about women being treated the same as men when they should be special cases
51-a- good year is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Mariesmith
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
I’m intrigued by hre use of ‘gender’ in these posts. Surely you mean sex, or are we too coy to say it?
Sex is a biological fact, gender is how you choose to present to society surely?
I wouldn't have thought anything of it.

When people are having babies they don't have a 'sex reveal' party.

They have a 'gender reveal' to let people know if they are having a boy or girl.
Mariesmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Itsabunthing
Apprentice Imagineer

It's interesting you say that Mariesmith as I hear a lot of people refer to it as a "gender reveal", but I don't understand why it has changed to this from sex? Certainly when I was younger the question would have been "What sex?", but then again I am an old dinosaur!

I do wonder if as a society we feel more comfortable using the word gender as opposed to sex (personally I use the latter as it is biologically accurate), despite the fact that they are two totally different things and can confuse issues. This is certainly the case where protected characteristics are concerned.
Itsabunthing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Mariesmith
Imagineer

I think the use if gender instead of sex is Americanised like lots of things here now. When I was young none of my friends or family had a gender reveal or baby shower etc. It's all stuff that's come across from the USA.

Gender is commonly used on forms to ask male or female. If you click on your own name or anyone's name on the dibb it has Gender: ( m or f) in the 'about you' section.
Mariesmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 22, 06:12 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 51-a- good year View Post
I'm an avid radio 4 listener and a few years ago I was unusually in the car one morning so caught a few items on Womans hour I was driving around delivering things so didnt bother to change the station

I heard parts of 5 articles that morning
3 were about women being treated unfairly compared to men and 2 were about women being treated the same as men when they should be special cases
I think it’s still a bit of a minefield at times. I am strongly independent but I still think it is nice when my husband opens doors for me and carry’s my bags. There are some women though that would find it quite offensive if a man tried to do that for her. I guess there is no right or wrong and sometimes personal experience can skew those feelings.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List