Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Aug 22, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Fancy getting to Miami in 4.5 hours?

American Airlines has signed a contract to buy an initial 20 Boom Jets’ Overture planes (aka Son of Concorde), coming online in about 6 years, with an option for 40 more.
This will roughly halve the flight time to Florida.
Wonder how much it will cost?
It would certainly be tempting, coming back at least.
Old 16 Aug 22, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
edu_afp
Serious Dibber

edu_afp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Count me in!

Back with my DS May 2023
edu_afp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

This is a small company of 150? Employees and I will be very surprised if these aircraft materialise. I sincerely hope so, as I am extremely interested in aviation.. but as said, I stand to be corrected at a later date. The talk is of business class prices.

The other issues of course, will be cost and noise. The fuel burn on after burning supersonic flight is very high and I would be astonished if these aircraft can supercruise successfully (no afterburner) at Mach 2.2. Rolls Royce are signed up to assist in the project. The noise reduction of the sonic boom is a crucial factor in developing a commercially viable aircraft to also fly overland.

Let’s wait and see. The flip side is that the huge B70 Valkyrie achieved over 2000mph in around 1964 (at horrendous expense). It made Concorde in 1970 look pedestrian.

The amazing and large XB70 Valkyrie.

One of the two constructed survives. It is at the USAF Museum in Dayton. I have seen it and it is ginormous! 6 Engines.

en.m.wikipedia/wiki/Nort...XB-70_Valkyrie

Edited at 09:29 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 22, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

My sisters best friend who works for BA posted this on facebook as well- nice to think of it happening but like CFB will wait and see if it materialises.
unixgirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

On my last WDW trip as a child (‘88) I remember seeing a BA Concorde at Miami. The route was LHR - Washington - Miami although on that last leg there was often only a handful of passengers!

Early start from London to Barbados for a swim and lunch and the back to London by early evening was a bit of a thing before its retirement. Would loved to have tried that.
gl20 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Concord was banned from going supersonic over America because the American government said it caused damage on the ground. I can guarantee this new plane will not be allowed to go supersonic over land in Europe if the French have anything to do with it.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gl20 View Post
On my last WDW trip as a child (‘88) I remember seeing a BA Concorde at Miami. The route was LHR - Washington - Miami although on that last leg there was often only a handful of passengers!

Early start from London to Barbados for a swim and lunch and the back to London by early evening was a bit of a thing before its retirement. Would loved to have tried that.
My parents went on Concorde to Barbados not long before it was retired. A friend of theirs, multi millionaire, took about 20 of them to Sandy Lane for 10 nights for his birthday.
Unfortunately the same offer was not available to me!
An old colleague of mine bagged a job in the early 1980s when he was at university ferrying important time sensitive contracts between USA and U.K. and was put on Concorde once to New York with a contract he had to get signed that day.

Edited at 04:15 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
My parents went on Concorde to Barbados not long before it was retired. A friend of theirs, multi millionaire, took about 20 of them to Sandy Lane for 10 nights for his birthday.
Unfortunately the same offer was not available to me!
An old colleague of mine bagged a job in the early 1980s when he was at university ferrying important time sensitive contracts between USA and U.K. and was put on Concorde once to New York with a contract he had to get signed that day.
I also did a Barbados trip on Concorde, took about 4 hours I think. Still got all the gifts they gave us
Colette-S is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I would do it in a heart beat (to New York not Miami (and to LA but that wont happen due to flying over land)) but I feel this will only happen after I have departed this world - maybe get my ashes flown over ?

Happy to have used Concorde a few times including one of her last flights to New York - glad I have the memories and all the tat they used to dole out which I am happy to bore visitors to my home with
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 22, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Part of me is quite angry about this.
The country that did everything in its power to destroy Concord because it wasn’t American now deciding it wants it.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List