Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Mar 17, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

It's worth remembering that you're not in a position where you can get this decision wrong. As others have said, comparing what you get off site, with what you get onsite is slightly apples and oranges.

If you want on site and it ends up costing you a bit more, then justify it by the differences in convenience. If you find your budget can't stretch to it, then you're still in Florida, you're not swapping onsite for a "no disrespect" wet weekend in Fleetwood.
Old 26 Mar 17, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
KittyBlackDog
Imagineer

I've always wanted to stay onsite, just to see what it was really like. The only way I was able to justify it was on cost and my wish list.

I looked at all the restaurants we would want to go to including the expensive ones that realistically I would be unlikely/willing to pay oop (CRT, CG). I looked at their menus online and worked out how much I would have to pay (roughly). Then factored in not having to pay for car hire , parking, villa etc. It worked out well for both 5 and 7 nights and actually came under by about £200. We then went to a villa for the rest of our stay and didn't eat in Disney for the rest of the trip.

Having priced it up for our next trip however it doesn't so far. I'm waiting to see what April 20th brings. We also thought our last trip would be our last 😳😂 so we've ticked off our top restaurants already.

Have you priced up for a deluxe? Does it work out more expensive than your ddp upgrade?

Good luck
KittyBlackDog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 17, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Annie17
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by KittyBlackDog View Post
I've always wanted to stay onsite, just to see what it was really like. The only way I was able to justify it was on cost and my wish list.

I looked at all the restaurants we would want to go to including the expensive ones that realistically I would be unlikely/willing to pay oop (CRT, CG). I looked at their menus online and worked out how much I would have to pay (roughly). Then factored in not having to pay for car hire , parking, villa etc. It worked out well for both 5 and 7 nights and actually came under by about £200. We then went to a villa for the rest of our stay and didn't eat in Disney for the rest of the trip.

Having priced it up for our next trip however it doesn't so far. I'm waiting to see what April 20th brings. We also thought our last trip would be our last 😳😂 so we've ticked off our top restaurants already.

Have you priced up for a deluxe? Does it work out more expensive than your ddp upgrade?

Good luck
we have worked it out with what food we would eat off site so

Average Breakfast,lunch and dinner costs + Villa +Car Hire+ snacks and we are about £700 off for 5 nights at POFQ

but when you add in the extra it would cost to ,like you say, eat at the disney resturants (which with 8 of us we wouldn't pay OOP) and the free magic bands, and 2 gift cards it works out only £200/£300 difference.

We did price up AKL but at the moment on wdw website

1 room at POFQ is £1040 for 5 nights
1 room at AKL is £1750 for 5 nights

we will have 1 adult and 3 children(2 disney adults and 2 disney children ) in each room so upgrade to DDP will cost us £150 per room.

so even adding that to POFQ its still £560 per room cheaper than AKL

Wdw 2013,2016,2018,2019

Engaged 04/09/18 in Magic Kingdom.
Annie17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 17, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Amiee89
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I had this debate with myself last year constantly changing my mind,pricing things up etc drove myself nuts. We ended up booking 7 nights SSR then 7 nights in villa. When i worked out discount on tickets if we booked through disney, the car rental, car parking fee, the character meals we would want to do etc then staying onsite for the week was around the same as i budgeted for offsite. We go in 5 weeks and cnt wait its our first visit! Whatever you chose your in disney regardless so it be amazing! X
Amiee89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 17, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
PixieBoot
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Annie17 View Post
Thank you all,

its not about the money, i just keep changing my mind, you are right in saying i cant wait incase theres a better deal, what if there isn't one!

i suppose if the deal on tickets does come out i could change my mind, yes i would lose out on the deposit but that would be my own fault!

I feel like i change my mind about 10 times a day!

would you recommend 5 or 7 nights onsite?

im gonna set myself a realistic budget and if onsite comes within that price i will book
The reduced park tickets offer appeared after free dining ended, so if we assume both offers won't be offered together again and if you really want an onsite stay for part of your hol, the dining offer is better than the ticket one.

Oct 2003 couples hol Kissimmee > WDW, Universal, Seaworld, Busch, Daytona

Jul 2015 Family of 5 Kissimmee/RPR Club > Universal, Wet n Wild, Kennedy SC, WDW

Aug 2018 Family if 5 AMI/RPR Club/Kissimmee > Universal, VBay, WDW

Hopeful for Jul 2021 > RPR Club/Y Club
PixieBoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 17, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I've come to the conclusion that DDP only genuinely works financially with four adult sized stomachs and a strong desire not to step off property.

For me the trade off of more space/privacy/bathrooms is important. I like the idea that if I'm awake before everyone else or awake later I can make myself a coffee and relax without creeping around or having to get dressed properly first etc , or even just have a leisurely shower.

Everyone's priority is different , for some a trip would be ruined without the onsite benefits , for others the advantages and the budget you are prepared to stretch matters. If money was no object I'd probably love two rooms or a two bedroom DVC at the Beach Club giving space and brilliant access (I have stayed at BC before and love the access to EPCOT and the studios ) but I have a more moderate holiday budget nowadays and a different combination of people and ages so the space has far greater impact .

It's I think best to accept DDP will never win on finances alone , it's just a case of how much more and what it's worth personally to you.

Edited at 10:47 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 17, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Annie17 View Post
We will be staying for 21 nights and spending the rest of the holiday in a villa, but i keep thinking what if Disney reduce the ticket prices again. As there is 7 of us that will need tickets it works out as a £750 saving!
First, I doubt Disney will reduce the price of the 2018 tickets to the same price as the 2017 tickets are currently. If (and it's a big "if") they do a 25% discount again, I'd expect they would do like they did last year and raise prices just before they do the discount. Therefore, I suspect you'd only save something like £350 based on the price after this month, not £750.

Also, if it's like last year, you'd have to wait until the middle of December before the discount appears again. If it appears again. That might be a bit late for some to wait, although it very much depends on when in 2018 you're thinking of visiting.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List