Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Mar 17, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
charlie-becks
Serious Dibber

charlie-becks's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
It was too hot for us, we couldn't stay outside very long and we felt drained. Best trip was middle of September but I know your restricted with school hols
Old 25 Mar 17, 12:53 AM  
Link to this Post
DoubleDisney
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

We had a great time in August. It was the first time we had visited Florida and we were worried that the weather might spoil it. We needn't to have worried! We drank plenty of water all through the day and as a result didn't feel the heat too badly at all. Yes, it was hot but nothing unbearable. The one day we forgot to drink loads of water was at the waterpark and that evening when we went to Hollywood studios we were unbearably hot. I really do think staying hydrated is the key. As for rain, we only had one day where we really noticed it. We were at the mall anyway, so it really didn't matter. We knew some people that stayed in the park that day and they didn't notice any rain at all. I think it depends on where you are. All other days were glorious. It might have rained while we napped during the afternoon but I really wouldn't know!
DoubleDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 17, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lam View Post
We used to go at Easter up until a few years ago, but I didn't feel I was getting the best value out of my points (DVC), so changed for a longer stay in July/August |(school holidays dictated)

It is incredibly hot then and you cannot under estimate how tired you will be, as the heat is exhausting.
Don't even attempt a full day. Take it Easy!
To cope, we usually get up 'at the crack of dawn' and 'do' the parks early morning.
Like others have said, we either go back to our DVC or hotel between 2 and 3 OR we go to a hotel nearest the park and have lunch there because mostly people are in the parks and the hotel restaurants are quite quiet for lunch!

We also take cool towels. These go freezing cold when put under water and shaken.They can be re-used time and time again. We put them around our neck-really makes a difference. Last time in WDW, they had 'frozen' coll towels but you have to look for them.

We fill our water bottles at fountains every chance we get.
We take 3 bottles. 1 each (for 2 of us) and the 3rd is our 'emergency' bottle.

1 summer it was so hot I had to buy 1 of those fan sprays. the fan keeps you cool and for added comfort, you can squirt water over your face! It was a blessing in disguise!

I also take a small purse sized 24hr protection deodorant (in roll-on) form -nivea saved the day!

I only wear white 100% cotton clothes and socks.

I wear white runners

I find white reflects the heat and makes it just about bearable.

I go into cafes or shops every chance i get. If i'm really hot , I sometimes go to some of the indoor shows (like finding nemo or the lion king) .Fully air conditioned. A chance to rest in comfort, rehydrate and enjoy a lovely show too. A welcome relief.

If I think of anything else, i'll let you know.

Only to say in the evenings, be careful as the bus back from disney springs (downtown disney) or the parks can be incredibly cool/cold and you may need a sleeve on the bus-yes honestly!
Top tips thanks
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 17, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
solliss
Apprentice Imagineer

Our first time in August this year! Always been September before but restricted to school holidays and wanted to do 3 weeks.
Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe - August 2014
We're going back August 2017, 1st time onsite - CBR + 1 week I Drive
solliss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 17, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
1 pink princess
Having Dinner with Goofy

I have been going in late August for many years now due to school holidays. The heat is bearable if you nip in and out of the shops to cool off. My hubby suffers and we bought these stay cool towels from Walmart. You put them in water, then wring out and put them around your neck. They are a god send if your hot and bothered. By around 3ish be prepared for the storms/rain.
1 pink princess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 17, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
scenicafc
Getting Excited

We love July/August, this will be our third trip that time of the year. Air Con is great, too cold sometimes LOL. The pool at the villa is brilliant and keeps you cool, just remember to keep your fluids up, the summer storms are amazing and always a highlight of the holiday. Woudn't go any other time.

2007 - Davenport Lakes - 2 x 40th Birthdays
2013 - Lindfields - For the fun of it!
2017 - Indian Creek - 2 x 50th Birthdays,1 x 18th & 21st Wed Anniv.!
2022 - Indian Creek 25th Wedding Anniversary & 1 x 18th - RESCHEDULED
scenicafc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 17, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
SWEN
Very Serious Dibber

SWEN's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 17
We've been in August for our last couple of trips (going again this August) hot, humid and some impressive thunderstorms, but still our favourite time of year. The only part we seem to struggle with is making it around World Showcase in one day, virtually no shade.

1990-WDW and Clearwater. 2003-Orange Lake Resort
2006-Sheraton Vistana Resort. 2007-DLP
2008-Orange Lake. 2011-Villa Buenaventura Lakes
2014-OKW&Sheraton Vistana. 2015-Old Key West
2017-OKW&Hilton Grand Vacations
2018-Saratoga Springs
SWEN is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 17, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Momofboys
Imagineer

Momofboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We went last August, I was dreading it after 2 October and one Easter visit, but school holidays so needs must.

I'm a redhead too so pale skin and easily fry.

It was hot yes, and humid too, but honestly? I thought it was fine and I melt on hot days here.

We've booked again for July, so I'm now panicking that it wasn't that hot last August and we're going to be shocked this year!

Plenty of iced water and use the shade well.
Old 28 Mar 17, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
hiddenmichelle
Excited about Disney

We have been in August four times and loved it. It is a different holiday to just sitting by the pool or the beach - so many air con opportunities and WDW generally do shade well in my opinion (but agree with previous poster about World Showcase - the kids were not amused before we started anyway...) It really is fine. I heard horror stories and was worried about it the first time, but as long as you do not rush it is absolutely fine. And I love to sit watching a good thunderstorm in the evening too - think I'd be disappointed not to see one!
hiddenmichelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 17, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
jojj
Disney Mad Scrapbooker!

I'm always cold, and I rarely feel hot in this country , even in the summer, so for me August was perfect . I loved feeling hot! much prefer it to being cold! last august it was boiling, 35 - 40degrees most days. I found that the worst part of the day was about 2 - 3 ish, when it was unbearable to stand out in the full sun and watch a parade or a show, but if we avoided that then all was well. My 5 and 7 year olds coped really well too.we managed full days in the parks nearly every day, we had the 1st week with hardly any rain too which was great!

So, august is managable, and a great time to go, and as others have said, shade, iced free water, and cool down with cold water in the toilets etc, nip into a shop for some air con, or the rides etc. hth

WDW -97, 05, 06, 2009/2010, 2011
DLC - 1998
DLP -17 Times
jojj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List