Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Mar 17, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

In the last four years I have booked once with Virgin as they came out cheapest (booked 2015 for 2016) once all in with Disney (2013 for 2014) and the other two times direct accommodation with Disney and flights elsewhere.

It pays to shop around

I get as many quotes as I can and give them my diy pricing to work against. Sometimes they can actually beat it, sometimes not.
Bellasmummy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 17, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitchfan626
VIP Dibber

Mobile

A package through Virgin actually worked out cheaper for me for my trip this year than booking direct/ separately (just to show the other side!). It's always worth pricing up the different options and then deciding.
1995 WDW (offsite) , 1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club), 2001, 2002, 2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2004 WDW (offsite), 2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2007 WDW (Grand Floridian), 2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), 2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York), May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club), December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest Room), April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge), June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), August 2019 DLP (Vienna Dream Castle), December 2019 DLP (Magic Circus)
Stitchfan626 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 17, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Stitchfan626 View Post
A package through Virgin actually worked out cheaper for me for my trip this year than booking direct/ separately (just to show the other side!). It's always worth pricing up the different options and then deciding.
Exactly this, I have posted before about the (surprisingly) very good (and cheaper than Disney) price my 2018 VH package is. It is also cheaper than DIY based on flight prices I have paid before. However in other years VH have been more expensive.

My price did not include free dining but I am not fussed about that, I am staying CL again so will just pay OOP for any meals. We would have been stupid not to have booked with VH for my holiday at the price we have. I am still very pleasantly surprised at how competitive they were in my case.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 17, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Ever After Holidays
Excited about Disney
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by Stitchfan626 View Post
You are completely right!

Plus doing things separately has no ATOL protection.

Checking all options and all agents is a must!

Ever After Holidays
☎️0800 3277108
🌐ABTA & Atol Protected
www.everafterholidays.com
Ever After Holidays is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 17, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MyMagicHoliday View Post
You are completely right!

Plus doing things separately has no ATOL protection.

Checking all options and all agents is a must!

Where do you see the need for ATOL protection on a Disney stay with flights ?

Disney won't be going into liquidation
Flights, carhire and passes on credit card for protection.

A lot of people pay far too much because they think a package is "best" when it's very often not the case.

I prefer the transparency of an independent agent who will (for example) split their commission on the Disney package so instant 5% discount on the hotel and passes if wanting free dining plus the freedom to shop around for flights, carhire , any other hotels and passes.
Virgin have a beautiful shop near me at Bluewater , with it comes an extortionate rent and staff costs. I don't really feel the need to make a healthy contribution to those costs though, especially when often I know more about the product than the agent in front of me or on the phone. Independent agents who really know their stuff can be an entirely different matter however to a chain agency. (I used to be one lol and the good ones CAN have access to deals the public can't get sometimes, just not always)

Disney dining I feel isn't any kind of a deal for two adults in a room in most cases but it's a great convenience and one I'm toying with currently for three adults in a room for five nights , where it looks like it may just break even and is a good way to budget as it's my OHs first trip and if I present him with the spending money budget for staying off site he'd have a heart attack but with more than half the food costs hidden in with the hotel and passes it'll be more digestible Once he sees for himself I suspect he'd rather do a villa or condo for the next time though.

I absolutely agree with you about checking prices all ways though. There are times a package will be better value but you need to have a basis for comparison to see if package or DIY is the best price for your specific requirements. There's also the time versus money side. Some people simply don't enjoy the research and don't want to spend the time and would rather just use an agent to do it though.

Edited at 12:09 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 17, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Rufus1
Excited about Disney

if you want package deal try shopping around , you can ge virgin flights if that's what you want with other companies and at much cheaper rates.
AKL& POR Riverside 2017
boardwalk and POR 2019
Rufus1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 17, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
OnOurWay
Excited about Disney

I agree with PP, no real need for ATOL protection for Disney or Universal for that matter.
When I was looking at booking our August holiday, I got quotes for package from Virgin and looked at Flydrive with them. The Flydrive alone for 3 adults and 1 child were coming in at over £6000 before adding the additional car insurance needed. I also kept reading about people who had booked with TA's having trouble linking their tickets on MDE and if there were refurb issues with the accommodationthey had booked they were struggling to change.
As a result we booked 6 nights at POFQ with QSDP upgraded to DDP, 14 day tickets, free memory maker and $200 giftcard for $2584. We booked our flights direct with AA during a flash sale for $1172 and car hire through Alamo Brits for 2 weeks (a standard SUV) for $317.21 including all insurance and a free additional driver. We have 12 nights at a villa booked for $820 including £100 refundable breakage deposit and 2 nights at RPR, Club Level through Expedia for £553.51. All that comes to £5446.72, less than Virgin quoted us for just a Flydrive package.

It is so worth keeping an eye on the Dibb for notifications about flash sales and glitches. Good luck and happy planning😀
OnOurWay is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 17, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Ever After Holidays
Excited about Disney
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Where do you see the need for ATOL protection on a Disney stay with flights ?

Disney won't be going into liquidation
Flights, carhire and passes on credit card for protection.

A lot of people pay far too much because they think a package is "best" when it's very often not the case.

I prefer the transparency of an independent agent who will (for example) split their commission on the Disney package so instant 5% discount on the hotel and passes if wanting free dining plus the freedom to shop around for flights, carhire , any other hotels and passes.
Virgin have a beautiful shop near me at Bluewater , with it comes an extortionate rent and staff costs. I don't really feel the need to make a healthy contribution to those costs though, especially when often I know more about the product than the agent in front of me or on the phone. Independent agents who really know their stuff can be an entirely different matter however to a chain agency. (I used to be one lol and the good ones CAN have access to deals the public can't get sometimes, just not always)

Disney dining I feel isn't any kind of a deal for two adults in a room in most cases but it's a great convenience and one I'm toying with currently for three adults in a room for five nights , where it looks like it may just break even and is a good way to budget as it's my OHs first trip and if I present him with the spending money budget for staying off site he'd have a heart attack but with more than half the food costs hidden in with the hotel and passes it'll be more digestible Once he sees for himself I suspect he'd rather do a villa or condo for the next time though.

I absolutely agree with you about checking prices all ways though. There are times a package will be better value but you need to have a basis for comparison to see if package or DIY is the best price for your specific requirements. There's also the time versus money side. Some people simply don't enjoy the research and don't want to spend the time and would rather just use an agent to do it though.
That's exactly what we do, with the added financial security!

:-)

Ever After Holidays
☎️0800 3277108
🌐ABTA & Atol Protected
www.everafterholidays.com
Ever After Holidays is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 17, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

Isnt atol more a case of protecting your money, ie if the company goes bust any money you have spent is protected? Likewise you dont become stranded abroad if it collapses? Whilst booking direct with Disney (as I have done before) is I am sure no problem (although Disney UK is i believe atol protected) I would personally be cautious of booking via a company that does not offer atol protection, just my opinion of course but I always do this for my holidays outside the UK.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 17, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL C
Serious Dibber

If it's possible for a bit of flexibility with your dates, try pricing up the week before or the week after your current quote date. Also, joining the VA flying club will get you 7% off with VH.
We have just booked POFQ with VH for 2018 with free dining. The price difference was up to a crazy £720 within a 2 week period (no school holiday dates involved).
I priced up hotel, tickets and upgrading the dining plan with both Disney and Kenwood, so I can work out the flight cost element. I would be surprised if I could do it cheaper DIY. They were also cheaper for our 2016 holiday.
Always best to shop around. Just wanted to point out that with a little tweaking you may be able to get a decent price with VH.

Disney's ASM 2001 / Disney's CBR 2005 / Disney's POP 2007
Renaissance @ Seaworld & POFQ 2009 /Renaissance & POR 2010
Universal's RPR & Disney's POFQ 2012
POFQ & RPR 2014 / Renaissance & RPR 2016 / POFQ 2018
ANGEL C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List