Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Jan 17, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Does anybody know how UberT works in New York ?
Does it use yellow cab rates or Uber and what is the benefit of it over Uber ?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 17, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Twinklestar1
VIP Dibber

Twinklestar1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thanks - this is really helpful
Old 29 Jan 17, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
ruddian
Excited about Disney

Hi we go in October and I have read most of this thread but still have a couple of questions. Can anyone help please?

1. I read sometimes the drivers call you on arrival. Do I get charged for this? ( Im on vodafone)

2. I read the law on child seats and we have a 5 year old with us. Do we need to provide a car seat? Or do they have them. Are they required as it said for 4-5 year old you can use a seat belt? Not sure I would want to tho?

3. There are 5 of us considering we may get an UberX to accommodate us but assuming we will prob need the XL and with the added possibility of needing to pay for a child seat would this really still be cheaper than regular taxis?

4. We do not have Uber in our area in the UK so would be downloading just to use in Orlando. Is it best to wait until nearer the time to download the app and get the free deal etc. \Or can I set it all up now?

Sorry its such a lot of question. This has been a brilliant thread. Thanks to all those that have posted.

ruddian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 17, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
stan_the_man
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ruddian View Post
Hi we go in October and I have read most of this thread but still have a couple of questions. Can anyone help please?

1. I read sometimes the drivers call you on arrival. Do I get charged for this? ( Im on vodafone)

2. I read the law on child seats and we have a 5 year old with us. Do we need to provide a car seat? Or do they have them. Are they required as it said for 4-5 year old you can use a seat belt? Not sure I would want to tho?

3. There are 5 of us considering we may get an UberX to accommodate us but assuming we will prob need the XL and with the added possibility of needing to pay for a child seat would this really still be cheaper than regular taxis?

4. We do not have Uber in our area in the UK so would be downloading just to use in Orlando. Is it best to wait until nearer the time to download the app and get the free deal etc. \Or can I set it all up now?

Sorry its such a lot of question. This has been a brilliant thread. Thanks to all those that have posted.

I can answer a couple of those for you:

1 - No, not if you are using a roaming SIM i.e. the 3 'feel at home' one, I had drivers ring me and never got charged.

2 - not sure on the laws, but Uber don't provide child seats so you will need to take your own (if you are required to use them).

3 - You will need to do an estimate on the Uberestimate site for your journey to see what it will roughly cost you, and then weigh that up against a Mears estimator etc to see the difference.

4 - Nothing stopping you setting up now, but don't put a code in until you are in the states as otherwise it'll tie the free ride to the UK

Allergy-Friendly Food Report 2015
stan_the_man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 17, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
ruddian
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by stan_the_man View Post
I can answer a couple of those for you:

1 - No, not if you are using a roaming SIM i.e. the 3 'feel at home' one, I had drivers ring me and never got charged.

2 - not sure on the laws, but Uber don't provide child seats so you will need to take your own (if you are required to use them).

3 - You will need to do an estimate on the Uberestimate site for your journey to see what it will roughly cost you, and then weigh that up against a Mears estimator etc to see the difference.

4 - Nothing stopping you setting up now, but don't put a code in until you are in the states as otherwise it'll tie the free ride to the UK
Okay thanks x
ruddian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 17, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

if you sign up to Uber while still in the UK and use a dollar discount code for your first ride, and you don't use Uber at all until you get to the US, your first ride will be eligible for the dollar discount code you signed up with (this is exactly what I did, in the UK, before I went to Orlando).
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 17, 12:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Rosey203
Excited about Disney

Anyone had experience using uber late at night? (after midnight?) Wondering whether I could use it reliably after MNSSHP.
Rosey203 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 17, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Hibby70
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks for all the advice on this - really useful.

We are staying in Old Town and I was going to use the Lynx service 56 back from TTC - haven't been for 4 years and just discovered that there's no direct Disney buses to AK and DHS to TTC so would be a bit of a faff late at night.

Uber looks to be a much better option (and will only be around $4 more than the bus for the 4 of us). Bubblebum car seat ordered for my 4 year old so we can just use UberX.

I assume that the pickup points for the parks are relatively easy to arrange/find?
Hibby70 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 17, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Mobile

Very easy, at every Disney park apart from MK the pickup areas are right next to the taxi areas and its the same at the TTC for the MK park. Your uber driver will find you, don't worry.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 17, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Just wanted to say thank you for this post and all the info. I will definitely be using Uber when we visit!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List