Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 13 Nov 19, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
NeeNeeWong
Getting Excited

Beijing and HK Nov 2019 - Day4

Best day ever!

I was woken up just past 6 with the sound of wind! We are on the top floor and have a window that sticks out slightly and the wind was strong today. Good day to be walking on the wall

I had my alarm set for 6:30 anyway so stayed awake as otherwise I knew i would feel more tired. Today we were being picked up from the hotel by Jackie from Tour Beijing. We had booked a private tour to walk along the wall from Jiankou to Mutianyu. We were picked up in a nice car, with very comfortable reclining seats and arm rests, so living the life in luxury. We usually do a coach tour to see somewhere while we are away, but knowing this was probably a once in lifetime experience we wanted to go from the unrestored and unpopular to resorted and full of tourists.

It took about 2 hours from the hotel to get to our start. We arrived at the same time as another two cars but Jackie was off. He obviously wanted to be first to the top today! Another English couple also set off just behind us.

We thought we were fit, we go to the gym 3 times a week and I try to do stair master or uphill walking on the treadmill for at least half an hour after my weights. But OMG, we were out of breathe. I’m not saying don’t do it, I mean just be prepared. Jackie was great and we breaked when we needed to. Jackie on the other hand hadn’t broken a sweat, he was like one of the little mountain goats they used to carry the rocks! It took about 40 minutes to get up.

Picture of the climb up and the other couple behind us.

Anyway, we made it to the top after climbing up this very strong looking ladder of branches

To this view and oh my, what a view. When it’s you up there first (even when the other couple did catch up it’s not like they spoil your photos). Absolutely stunning.

We were on the second floor of the watch tower and we were heading in the direction of Mutianyu. Jiankou is dangerous according to Jackie. Your not actually supposed to walk along it and it’s been closed due to the number of deaths, but Jackie said that’s because people climb up this one hilly section, which we cut across the forest back onto the wall, as the stones are slipping climbing down a short hill, this lead up to a big hill and back down again and Jackie said that some guides make you slide on your bum down. No thanks!

Jackie had so much knowledge, it started in the car and he didn’t stop until the very end. His mind must be full of information. Very excellent guide.

Back on the wall about an hour later we could see people! Obviously this was Mutianyu. Overall, apart from the other English couple we only passed one other group. Most of the time it felt like just us and the wall.

Unrestored photos: wild wall!

When we reached Mutianyu, there was a wall to climb over, you had to jump up onto a step and then pull yourself up and over. Jackie said there was another way but he said we could do it no problem... with a little lift from him I was over!

The other side telling you NOT to cross where we came over

Then we reached the tourist section. Jackie said it was quiet, and it did seem it, but that could be because today it was a lovely warm 4 degrees on the wall. With the wind it said feels like minus 1.
My thoughts...

Anyway we then started to walk down towards the cable cars. But on the way we passed a lot of out of breathe people. Obviously it’s not easy either way you walk, but I think this is more like 10 mins instead of 40!

We continued up and down the wall getting more great photos as we went.

Then we reached the cable car and Jackie said we had just over an hour for lunch. When we’re hungry we can eat in 10 mins so we cheekily asked Jackie if we could go down the toboggan instead. He said ok, but only 30 mins for lunch as it’s 30 mins walk, we were fine with that and Jackie also seemed pleased as he said it was quite today so hopefully we can speed down the wall. I think the mosy painful part of this day was the toboggan! To make the car go on some of the flat parts you had to put your legs out straight but after all that walking they were cramping up! I would just get the cable car... have a nice sit down! Not sure how much cable car was but toboggan was 100 yuan each.

Lunch was just a buffet, there was lots of western style food, Burger King, subway, etc. No photos as it was typical buffet food and we were the only ones in there as it was 1:30 and lunchtime rush was over, so we had 3 ladies watching our every move. This was included in the tour.

We then got in the car about 2 and back to the hotel just after 4 - Straight into the shower as I needed a good warm up!

We chilled in the room until 6 as we didn’t want to walk anymore and then thought we best find somewhere to eat. In APM we found a dumpling place. But they were very boring. I think it was less then 100 yuan so we weren’t fussed.

So we didn’t finish them all and I said I wanted chocolate and ice cream so headed to McDonald’s as I could decide what I wanted on it. At the counter, you get a choice of sauce and 3 toppings. I got hot fudge sundae with marshmallows, M&Ms and strawberry’s. Chris got mango sauce, M&Ms, strawberry’s and bubble tea. 44 yuan total.

We both enjoyed these and now we’re back in the hotel ready to go to bed for another (hopefully) early start tomorrow, we’re off to the forbidden city.

We are both so glad we decided to go for the private tour, yes but more expensive but in our eyes it was definitely worth it. We much preferred the wall all to ourselves in the historic old sections, it seemed so much prettier.

Edited at 02:34 PM.
NeeNeeWong is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 06:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Wow! What an amazing day. I think the extra cost of a private tour was well worth it for this one in a lifetime experience. The photos are glorious!

You certainly deserved the ice cream at the end of the day!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
NeeNeeWong
Getting Excited

I think this is my favourite place we have visited so far!
I’ve cream was definitely deserved. I’m sure I burned off way more than one ice creams worth so only fair.