Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Oct 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by captain-codeye View Post
Does anyone else think it’s bizarre that people know in advance that they have been selected for extra screening or have I missed something?

Surely if your intention was untoward or you were thinking of bringing something you should not your going to change your plans now!

All for as much security as needed but maybe it should be unexpected?
I agree, it's completely bizarre that you can be made aware in advance you've been selected for the extra screening. This is either via online check-in failing / failing to issue a boarding pass, or by the SSSS printed on the boarding pass you get at the airport.

These procedures are mandated by the USA, so the airlines have to adhere to them. It's very odd that the TSA (US Aviation Security) can & do vary their screening methods day-to-day to catch people out... yet when travelling from the unsafe United Kingdom we get told in advance if we're in for a frisking at the boarding gate, thus giving us the chance to walk out of the airport without being caught if we were up to no good.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMermaid
Excited about Disney

Mobile

My boyfriend gets SSSS on his boarding card every time even though it’s ‘random’ there must be someone on the no fly list with his name.
The only ‘extra’ thing he’s had because of it is having his hand luggage completely emptied at the gate - we always get there as soon as it opens to give time to pack it all away again
MinnieMermaid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
I agree, it's completely bizarre that you can be made aware in advance you've been selected for the extra screening. This is either via online check-in failing / failing to issue a boarding pass, or by the SSSS printed on the boarding pass you get at the airport.

These procedures are mandated by the USA, so the airlines have to adhere to them. It's very odd that the TSA (US Aviation Security) can & do vary their screening methods day-to-day to catch people out... yet when travelling from the unsafe United Kingdom we get told in advance if we're in for a frisking at the boarding gate, thus giving us the chance to walk out of the airport without being caught if we were up to no good.
If you were to balk on a flight once you know you're going to be extra searched, then presumably you'd flag up and potentially be generating reasonable grounds to be investigated outside of the flight.
I've been done a couple of time, my partner has also been done at least once as I recall the conversation where I said to her "It's your turn to be dodgy". I also know first hand of Police officers getting selected.
Old 27 Oct 19, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

I was selected last week. It was nothing to worry about. Just an extra check just prior to boarding.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Bella1
Imagineer

Bella1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
I got this at Gatwick last year. DH and DS went straight to the plane with our bags and I was sent off with about a dozen people down a corridor. They took my passport away which I hated as I don't want it out of my sight! I had to empty every single item from my handbag (luckily my cabin bag was on the plane with DS), remove shoes, undo all clothing and have body swabs. When they finished they just sent me back out in to the corridor and I had to find the plane!

Nothing to worry about but I hated being split from my family and my passport and it made an uncomfortable start to the trip. It was a special trip for DS 21st birthday and we had treated him to a Club World seat so I didn't get to see his face when he realised where he was sitting either

Edited at 11:08 AM.
Bella1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We have never checked the boarding passes and always been able to check-in on line but our daughter gets checked nearly every time we fly.
A friend of hours got stopped at immigration flying into MCO a few years ago and taken to a room by immigration officers and was held for a couple of hours because of the same name scenario - not very nice
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

These extra security checks are random, nothing to do with names on the USAs lists etc.
If it was, then why was I randomly chosen for extra security when checking in to a TUI flight last year... to Corfu?
Yes ssss on my boarding pass.
I think folks may be reading far to much into these checks.

If they choose you beforehand for checks, and you are a bad guy, then you either don’t turn up, or you turn up totally compliant. Either way, by advising you upfront the system has worked in that no banned items or non compliant persons get onboard. It’s not about catching these folks it’s about stopping them boarding
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
rhu115
Apprentice Imagineer

My 13 year old son was selected. We were advised at the gate by crew that he was to have check, I went with him all they did was check his carry on and he was swabbed, shoes taken off. They also asked him what he was looking forward to in Florida.

rhu115 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Star87
Trainee Dibber

What are they swabbing for?
I also find it weird that you know in advance if you are having extra security checks... doesn't make sense.
Star87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 19, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Star87 View Post