Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Oct 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Emma&Ste
VIP Dibber

Exclamation Selected for Extra Checks Man Airport

Hello!

We fly tomorrow! Just tried to do the online check in and 2 of the party (including me)cant proceed as we have been selected for extra checks...
Anyone know what this entails?

Thanks
Emma&Ste is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
pk67
Proud to wear my Ears

Based on my experience at Glasgow two years ago, you will be asked a few questions by the security agent, to remove electronics from your bag (for swabbing) as well as a swab of both palms.
pk67 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

At the main security search area, there is no difference. Everyone gets the same treatment here - if you / your bag are pulled for secondary screening it's because you've alarmed a metal detector / body-scanner / they've seen something on the x-ray in your cabin luggage.

At the boarding gate, the light will go red when your boarding pass is scanned. You should have your boarding pass & passport taken off you & be taken aside to an area for a secondary search.

All this entailed last time I had it was a pat-down / metal detector wanding, followed by an explosive trace swab of all my electronics. Explosive trace swab of my hands & inside front jeans pockets + the in-soles of my shoes. I did not have to turn any of the electronics on (phone was already on, but everything else was off).

I do think it is rather daft actively flagging to people they have been selected for the secondary screening - but if these are the rules the USA mandate, then the airlines have to follow them.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

It’s nothing to worrry about, it may be something like you have the same name as someone on the no fly list so they need extra checks at airport before they allow you to fly
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I once had this, had a matching name. He told me why it was, and just ticked me off on a list. That was a while back with him.
Old 26 Oct 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

at Manchester it's nothing at checkin, nothing at main security, then as you go through the gates to go to the plane, the light will go red and beep. They'll then take you through to the screening area to pat you down and most likely scan everything in your carry on for explosives with a wand and swab. You may or may not get a few more questions.

I'd say it adds anywhere from about 2 to 5 mins to the process of you getting onto the plane and they wont let anyone else wait with you.

It's a pain but it randomly happens and the thought of it is a lot worse than the actual thing
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
john w
Getting Excited

Have had this twice this year. once going to Nashville and once to Orlando. When you check in as normal your boarding pass will have I think its ssss on it. At the gate you are taken aside . bag searched and hands swabbed. That's what happened to me first time was LHR second time GLW.
john w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Had this at Glasgow last month well covered in previous posts. Nothing to worry about.
Hope you've checked your ESTA though.
Old 26 Oct 19, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Does anyone else think it’s bizarre that people know in advance that they have been selected for extra screening or have I missed something?

Surely if your intention was untoward or you were thinking of bringing something you should not your going to change your plans now!

All for as much security as needed but maybe it should be unexpected?
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
firemanyoz
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

Got pinged for this a few years back and was pulled aside in Philadelphia so a trainee could pat me down. Not the most comfortable experience but only took 10 mins.
firemanyoz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List