Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Nov 19, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Arriving into Lax...

do I need to hire a car?
Just wondering what options there is via public transport? We will hire if we must but if it’s easy to do without a car I would prefer it. I think it’s navigating out of LAX that worries me and we aren’t there long so thought why bother! Anyone not hired?
TIA
Old 6 Nov 19, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkerBabe
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Following with interest as I wondered the same 😊
Old 6 Nov 19, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I found driving into and out of LAX really simple, we hired with Avis both times.

LA is very spread out and almost built for driving. Obviously it depends on your plans but we felt that having a car gave us freedom to explore and we did occasionally get an Uber when we wanted to both have a drink if we were going out for dinner.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
I found driving into and out of LAX really simple, we hired with Avis both times.

LA is very spread out and almost built for driving. Obviously it depends on your plans but we felt that having a car gave us freedom to explore and we did occasionally get an Uber when we wanted to both have a drink if we were going out for dinner.
It’s the drama of getting out of the airport . We arrive at 00.30 so not sure if that’s good or not. As I presume it will be quieter but will be dark and I think that’s harder to find your bearings. It’s just the picking up from LAX and wondered if there was another way or just public transport.
Old 7 Nov 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
It’s the drama of getting out of the airport . We arrive at 00.30 so not sure if that’s good or not. As I presume it will be quieter but will be dark and I think that’s harder to find your bearings. It’s just the picking up from LAX and wondered if there was another way or just public transport.

Most people drive in LA and public transport isn’t that great to be honest especially around LAX. If you don’t fancy driving when you arrive you could always get an Uber to your hotel and pick up the car the next day or choose a hotel near public transport but st that time of arrival I wound not expect any apart from cabs and Uber to be running (and it’s not the safest of areas in LA to be around at that time as a stranger on public transport)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

The car hire places are off site at LAX, so you just get a free bus to their depots and then drive from there.

Where are you going in LA when you arrive, and what are you doing there. LA is massive and it can be 2 hours from one location to another. So depends on what you plan to do and where they are located.

Personally I would always have a car, but others have made it work using Uber, trains, planes, tours etc.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

I follow a few Youtubers and they don’t hire a car.

Our plan for next year is to arrive in LAX, get an Uber or lyft down to Anaheim, stay at Anaheim for 5 nights with no car, get an Uber or lyft to LA and stay 2 nights with no car and then hire a car for our drive up to San Fran!
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by klr15 View Post
I follow a few Youtubers and they don’t hire a car.

Our plan for next year is to arrive in LAX, get an Uber or lyft down to Anaheim, stay at Anaheim for 5 nights with no car, get an Uber or lyft to LA and stay 2 nights with no car and then hire a car for our drive up to San Fran!
We are using Lyft then staying in Burbank. There is also Supershuttle from LAX to all the areas.
I would never drive in LA again! I f you are worried OP I would use Uber/Lyft or something, as long as the area you are staying is accessible to public transport, or you can Uber to where you are staying.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

I wouldn't bother with a hire car for airport to Anaheim if then there for 5 days. Not worth it as it will be sat in a car park.

For the LA side, really depends on what you are doing. If sticking to the very traditional Hollywood, Universal and Warner Bros then again not really needed as Uber will do.

If you are actually going to see the real LA then a car is needed. But most don't.

Don't be scared of driving in LA, there is nothing too it really, its just busy on the freeways, but you can avoid these and stick at street level in LA which is often quicker anyway.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
I wouldn't bother with a hire car for airport to Anaheim if then there for 5 days. Not worth it as it will be sat in a car park.

For the LA side, really depends on what you are doing. If sticking to the very traditional Hollywood, Universal and Warner Bros then again not really needed as Uber will do.

If you are actually going to see the real LA then a car is needed. But most don't.

Don't be scared of driving in LA, there is nothing too it really, its just busy on the freeways, but you can avoid these and stick at street level in LA which is often quicker anyway.
Was that in response to my comment? I am just confused because I am not the original poster, but I can’t see any posts from the original poster about their plans and what you have said here looks like it is in response to my comment haha!
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List