Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Nov 19, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I will admit that reading some peoples experiences puts me off moving a little, but I'm sure there is a lot of luck in it and it will be worth it in the end (all fingers crossed).

Really helpful advice so thanks again to you all.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I will admit that reading some peoples experiences puts me off moving a little, but I'm sure there is a lot of luck in it and it will be worth it in the end (all fingers crossed).

It can be very hassly - and we did have a fair amount

However, you need to think about the long term. Yes - there might be a load of stress and hassle for a month or two. But you will be living in your new house for many years and the memories of that hassle disappear very quickly.

If you find or have found a place you really want to move to, then just accept it will likely be painful for a short time, but it will be worth it.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We're in Scotland and its nearly always "offers over", Unless someone wants a fixed price for a quick sale. Your estate agent just monitors the amount of interest and official "notes of interest" (meaning if you have made a note of interest you must be notified of a closing date). When the estate agent thinks there is enough interest to make a sale, they will fix a closing date, when sealed bids are delivered.

Most sellers are looking for at least 10% over, not so sure about the coutryside, but we are in the city so we would be looking for at least 20-30% over and many here go for more because we are in an excellent state school catchment.

I agree, useless for budgeting, and gives false hope when looking at adverts, but it really makes your estate agent work for their money.
Old 12 Nov 19, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
BarrettFamily
VIP Dibber

When we had our house on the market our Estate Agent wanted us to lower our price to an offers above price. They said we could still get the price we wanted but it would appear in a lower price band search on the online searches. I must admit when looking I also did not look at offers above, not sure why, it just put me off.
WDW All Stars Movies 2001- 10th Anniversary
WDW Carribean Beach Resort 2006
WDW All Stars Music 2008
WDW Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa 2018 - 50th Birthday Celebration with Mum.
BarrettFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by BarrettFamily View Post
When we had our house on the market our Estate Agent wanted us to lower our price to an offers above price. They said we could still get the price we wanted but it would appear in a lower price band search on the online searches. I must admit when looking I also did not look at offers above, not sure why, it just put me off.
It would put me off too because you have no idea how much they actually will accept. I would rather a house had a high price and 'offers' at least you know here you are.

A friend of mine tried to buy a piece of land that was advertised as 'offers above £30k'. It eventually sold for £60k, way out of her price bracket. Anybody local could have told you it was worth about £60k, they just wanted to get more people into thinking they could afford it
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
We're in Scotland and its nearly always "offers over", Unless someone wants a fixed price for a quick sale. Your estate agent just monitors the amount of interest and official "notes of interest" (meaning if you have made a note of interest you must be notified of a closing date). When the estate agent thinks there is enough interest to make a sale, they will fix a closing date, when sealed bids are delivered.

Most sellers are looking for at least 10% over, not so sure about the coutryside, but we are in the city so we would be looking for at least 20-30% over and many here go for more because we are in an excellent state school catchment.

I agree, useless for budgeting, and gives false hope when looking at adverts, but it really makes your estate agent work for their money.
Omg that is crazy where city properties could fetch 20-30% above the offers over price. I'm glad England doesn't usually follow that very high percentage above the starting price or a £500k property could sell for £650k (wow).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post

your self employed arent you ? ?

My advice, get your financial affairs in great order before you start, make sure your tax returns are bang upto date, your tax returns AND
tax year overviews match

I am currently messing about with the tax office about my class 2 NI contributions, its painful
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

When we bought our old house it was advertised as offers over £310,000. This was very top end of our budget but we went to view it. When the lovely lady was showing us round (the owner) she said that she could afford to take £270,000 and if we offered that she would accept. She said the estate agents wouldn’t let her put it on so low but she wanted it to go to a nice family to grow up in like hers had and that was more important to her than the money. If we hadn’t of gone to view it we would never have snapped up such a bargain!
2018 - Villa in Davenport
2022 - Blue Tree Resort
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney1st timer View Post
When we bought our old house it was advertised as offers over £310,000. This was very top end of our budget but we went to view it. When the lovely lady was showing us round (the owner) she said that she could afford to take £270,000 and if we offered that she would accept. She said the estate agents wouldn’t let her put it on so low but she wanted it to go to a nice family to grow up in like hers had and that was more important to her than the money. If we hadn’t of gone to view it we would never have snapped up such a bargain!
What a great result that was, but I doubt many are as lucky as you though, but I will keep my fingers crossed just in case I meet a seller as nice.
Old 14 Nov 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

What a great result that was, but I doubt many are as lucky as you though, but I will keep my fingers crossed just in case I meet a seller as nice.
You never know! She had inherited a bungalow so no house to buy and her house sale was purely profit. You just never know what the sellers are thinking, it may not be what the estate agents are thinking.
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List