Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 3 Aug 16, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
beeftinkler
Very Serious Dibber

GPS Child Tracker

Our 4yr old dd has autism, and can become easily lost, has no stranger-danger, etc. Whilst we watch her like a hawk, and have never previously had an incident, does anyone know of a child gps tracking device we can place on her (am thinking keyring, watch etc) that would work at Disney World, and is IOS compatible?
beeftinkler is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 16, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by beeftinkler View Post
Our 4yr old dd has autism, and can become easily lost, has no stranger-danger, etc. Whilst we watch her like a hawk, and have never previously had an incident, does anyone know of a child gps tracking device we can place on her (am thinking keyring, watch etc) that would work at Disney World, and is IOS compatible?
Bumping this for you and hoping someone can help.
No recommendations sorry but I understand your concerns as my little girl has autism and we have the same concerns.
Luckily she never wandered when we were there but something that worked for us and I think helped was when we found open spaces we let go of her hand and let her have a good run or free walk. A tip I read on here was to always photo her in a morning before we left hotel so if God forbid she did wander off I could give a good description.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 16, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

Trying to think outside the box a little and I was thinking maybe a Bluetooth 'lost keys' tracker (howtogeek/222869/htg-...ight-want-one/) would work, but they don't actually have GPS in them so unless your youngster is within a 50 feet you probably aren't going to get much use out of them. Reading the article the idea of 'ring fencing' seems interesting.. In that case maybe you'd pop a 'key finder' with ring fencing functionality on your little ones bag or a bracelet or whatever, if said youngster mooches off, when she gets far enough your phone alerts you.

I also see this on Amazon but it's a big spend for something with few reviews so I couldn't possibly comment on how good it would be. From a brief look at the specs it looks like it would also need a data sim compatible in the US:

amazon/GPS-Tracker...s=pocketfinder
kaytronika is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 16, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

The technology is out there (think Find Friends on iphone or the Life360 app) but most would need your little one to be carrying a phone. I hope someone can help with this.
Old 4 Aug 16, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

problem is, unless you want to pay a monthly fee for a tracking service, most of the devices around are either really expensive, or just plain not good enough

some options are here: safewise/blog/10-wear...-devices-kids/

you have a few options to consider

bluetooth tracker device
gps enabled device
a mobile phone and/or smartwatch

the bluetooth one is by far the cheapest, but only has a very limited range, unless it is one that uses a mesh/crowd network like TRACKR. but these are only as good as the amount of people with the app installed.

a gps enabled tracking device still needs a data connection to report on where it is. so youre looking at getting a cheap sim card with data in the US and attaching it to whatever device

finally, a mobile phone - by far the easiest thing these days. use a spare one with a sim card with data on, and get one of them jogging armband straps or something. some smartwatches also have similar features, but again, youre talking a fair chunk of cash. but if you have an old android/iphone in a cupboard at home, you just need a sim card. but its a bit unweildy.

sorry! things are improving all the time, but youre still a way off this stuff becoming common. theres loads of random chinese tracker things out there, but right now, i'm not aware of any that are particularly user friendly, or even actually work as expected. and even then, you'll need a sim with US data on

Edited at 03:07 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 16, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Katm1
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

There was an advert for richmonds sausages recently that had a 'toy tracker' as a free gift and I remember thinking what a fantastic idea that was if your child had a blankie or such like. U could maybe attach it to a bracelet or something instead. I never actually looked into this or how it works but maybe google it and see if you can find anything out about it.
Katm1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 16, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
americangal
Apprentice Imagineer

What about this

amazon/Guardian-An.../dp/B007TW3QG2
americangal is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 16, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by americangal View Post
What about this

amazon/Guardian-An.../dp/B007TW3QG2
reviews seem quite negative.

ok, my suggestion for a relatively cheap, usable one would be this payg phone for £20:

amazon/gp/product/...083583e9cd0880

then an unlock code for it for £1.30 on ebay:

ebay/itm/2222093789...702&rmvSB=true

a generic armband case for it. something like this:

ebay/itm/Sports-Run... nA8yi5npaVNKA

and finish off with a 3 feel at home sim card with £15 on for a months worth of data for when you go away.

set it up, and use the "locate my phone" functionality (obviously have a play with it before you go away to make sure it works ok)

its not as friendly as some sort of tag/badge/clip thing, but it will definitely work, and cost a fraction of the dedicated child tracker devices.

hth
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 16, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
technium
Excited about Disney

what about something like this -

kiddicare/p/My_Buddy_...HS8aAjJI8P8HAQ

£45 and alerts as soon as your child is going out of range.
technium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 16, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

Hi, This is not a tracker but our DD said that a boy in her year had a smart watch that he ordered from Amazon that took a SIM card so he could text and make calls from it. He got it for about £20, so not too expensive but could be used to contact your daughter if she should get lost.
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread