Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 15 Oct 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Andi
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
Are there trams in Sydney? I never lived there but went often enough with work and never saw one...
When we were there in November they were digging up George Street, which we were told was to put the tram lines in again, apparently they had trams years ago.

Melbourne has a very good tram system.

DVC - Animal Kingdom Lodge

International Drive 2002, All Star Movies 2005, Renaissance at Seaworld 2008, Rosen Plaza & POFQ 2010, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Hotel New York DLP 2013, Rosen Plaza and Old Key West 2014, AKL, BLT & SSR July 2015, Crowne Plaza NYC, AKL, Cabana Bay, AKL Nov 2017, Crowne Plaza NYC April 2018, Rosen Plaza, AKL and GFV August 2018, Australia Nov 2018, RCI Cruise August 2019, Rosen Plaza, Pop Century August 2022
Andi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

What would the experienced Oz visitors say are the must dos for a 15 or so night trip to the east? I want to go to Melbourne as I’ve got a friend there, she’s got 2 little ones and a full time job so I imagine a day max would do for seeing her, and I fancy seeing the penguins on Phillip Island. I’d also like to see Sydney, the blue mountains, the reef, the Whitsundays and the rainforest. But not sure if I’m 1) wanting to do too much and/or 2) missing out other things!
skalexander is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

Hi,

I did a long trip report recently which may help.

Bonzo's Australia Trip report

Pretty sure there are other in the General Trip Report section to browse through

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL

Edited at 03:40 PM.
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
4holibobs
VIP Dibber

Thanks for all the responses!
4holibobs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 19, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by BONZO View Post
Hi,

I did a long trip report recently which may help.

Bonzo's Australia Trip report

Pretty sure there are other in the General Trip Report section to browse through
You did so much in such a short time. We are staying in a apartment in Glenelg in Adelaide. DD is just along the road from us. After reading your trip report I’ve suggested to DD she book the bridge walk in for her dad and DD, I’ll not manage it. I’ve also just been told she has booked tickets for us to go see La Boheme at the Sydney Opera House. She’s also booked us into a restaurant called Mr Wong’s for the day we arrive in Sydney, it’s meant to be amazing.

We also plan to visit Maggie Beers Farm Shop. MB is a famous chef out there and sometimes judges on Australia Masterchef. DDs also lined up a half days fishing whilst in Adelaide.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
lme30005
Apprentice Imagineer

Any recommendations on when to go? We are stuck to school holidays and trying to avoid exam times. Christmas is hot but kids often have mocks in January. Easter looks ok if we can avoid a GCSE or A-level year. Is it too cold in July and August? Our plan is Singapore, then on to Sydney, drive up to Gold Coast, then on to Whitsundays.
lme30005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 19, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

We are going to Australia for the first time in February. We are only going for just over 2 weeks but cramming a lot in. We fly into Perth to visit friends. Stay I g with them for 6 nights, then flying to Melbourne and picking up a hire car. 1 night in central Melbourne then travelling to Sydney over 7 nights, staying in various places on the way. Then we have 3 nights in Sydney before we fly home. Excited is an understatement.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
capecoralfl
Apprentice Imagineer

We are going back over next month (4th visit) and flying into Sydney (Etihad had a great business class deal via Trailfinders) and we will visit family in Bowral which is a lovely area just south of Sydney. Sydney is fab and we loved Manly (we got engaged there many years ago!) also circular quay, did an evening dinner cruise, went up the Sydney tower eye and walked around the Darling Harbour and the rocks areas. Last trip we flew up to Cairns, staying in Palm Cove, and went to Port Douglas and visited the Great Barrier Reef - unforgettable!
It’s a beautiful country.
capecoralfl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by JackyH View Post
My son lives in Sydney and I’m lucky enough to have visited several times. He lives near Balmoral beach but my favourite is Manley. Just love the vibe there. Visited the hunter valley for wine tasting last time I went. That was interesting. Also visited Cairns - lovely part of the country. Kurranda railway is worth a go. Next time I go I hope to do the ghan.
Our son also lives in Sydney and is lucky enough to live in Manly. He takes the ferry to Sydney to work each day and says its the best commute in the world! He regularly messages to see he has seen a dolphin pod or whales.

Definitely worth a trip on the ferry out to Manly and a walk around and about and a snorkel if you like it!

They go snorkelling at Shelly beach regularly, about a 15-20 minute walk from Manly Beach and see some lovely sea life.
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by lme30005 View Post
Any recommendations on when to go? We are stuck to school holidays and trying to avoid exam times. Christmas is hot but kids often have mocks in January. Easter looks ok if we can avoid a GCSE or A-level year. Is it too cold in July and August? Our plan is Singapore, then on to Sydney, drive up to Gold Coast, then on to Whitsundays.
Lived in Australia, Sydney specifically for five years and we managed to see a lot of the country. July / August is winter in Sydney but it is nothing like our winter. DH did not once even wear a coat, I wore a coat for a couple of weeks some years but I don’t think I needed it the last year we were there, after 9am it is warm enough to not bother anyway, but we used to leave for work at 6:30am.

Further north, Gold Coast and Whitsundays, you will no way be too cold, in fact it is probably a very pleasant time of year to visit. Having said that, I would probably pick either between March and May or maybe October / November.

Don’t underestimate driving distances. We have driven to the Gold Coast as a road trip holiday, it is not something I would do in a day, we built quite a few overnight stops in that, if you are limited on time, a flight up might be better. It is also a quick flight from Sydney to Hamilton Island (Whitsundays) which was my last trip before we moved back to the UK.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List