Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Jan 18, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

Conservatory roof - change

We are thinking of doing something with our conservatory roofso that we can use for a dining room. I am thinking a complete proper roof is out of our budget so wondering if anyone has done this and has recomendations, tips and ideally some rough prices. Our current roof is polycarbonate. TIA
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 18, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by ELLENUT View Post
We are thinking of doing something with our conservatory roofso that we can use for a dining room. I am thinking a complete proper roof is out of our budget so wondering if anyone has done this and has recomendations, tips and ideally some rough prices. Our current roof is polycarbonate. TIA
Hi
We just changed ours from a polycarbonate to a cosy roof. We didn’t need any planning permission to do it, & it really makes a huge difference! We can actually use this room now in the winter.
Here’s some pics before & after & the company we used. It cost about £3600.

✨Disneyland Paris - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 x3, 18, 19x2, 22, 24.
✨Disneyworld Florida - 08, 14, 15, 17, 25.
✨Disneyland Tokyo & Disney Sea - 2016.
✨Disneyland California - 2018, 2023
✨Disney Magic 🚢 - 2021
⭐️NYC - 2016, 2017, 2019.
⭐️Las Vegas, Grand Canyon -2018
⭐️San Francisco, Las Vegas & Antelope Canyon -19 ⭐️Washington DC - 22⭐️LA/Anaheim-23 ⭐️Seattle -24
LOU LOU DISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 18, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Sorry, this is the company we used.
cosyroof/

✨Disneyland Paris - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 x3, 18, 19x2, 22, 24.
✨Disneyworld Florida - 08, 14, 15, 17, 25.
✨Disneyland Tokyo & Disney Sea - 2016.
✨Disneyland California - 2018, 2023
✨Disney Magic 🚢 - 2021
⭐️NYC - 2016, 2017, 2019.
⭐️Las Vegas, Grand Canyon -2018
⭐️San Francisco, Las Vegas & Antelope Canyon -19 ⭐️Washington DC - 22⭐️LA/Anaheim-23 ⭐️Seattle -24
LOU LOU DISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 18, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
JediMuM
Imagineer

We had ours changed last year to a real roof with velux windows and had a log burner added OMG it is so cosy and warms the whole house up !
It also means that we can use the conservatory in the summer months as the way the garden faces it gets sun all day and was unbareibly hot in the summe
Lisa x
Old 7 Jan 18, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I’m thinking of doing this also.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 18, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

We kept the roof but have a false ceiling now on the inside . It's given it a very cosy feel. I'm pretty sure it was under £2k.

WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 18, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
feelingnuts
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

My parents did the same as the above kept the roof but installed a false ceiling. It feels cosier and has helped keep the heat in during the winter and out in the summer.
feelingnuts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 18, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
sharlu
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Following as this is something we are interested in doing. Lovely to see before and after pictures. We do use our conservatory all year but have to use an oil filled radiator to boost the temparatire this time of year. Can I ask please? Does replacing the roof or having a false ceiling make the room it's accessed from darker (I was disappointed that my lounge lost some light when we had a conservatory erected 15 yrs ago). We have sold our house STC but can't find anything we like. So if we still haven't found anything in the next 6 weeks we intend to stay here for the foreseeable and a new conservatory roof plus a log burner is something I would like to do.

Thanks

sharlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 18, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by sharlu View Post
Following as this is something we are interested in doing. Lovely to see before and after pictures. We do use our conservatory all year but have to use an oil filled radiator to boost the temparatire this time of year. Can I ask please? Does replacing the roof or having a false ceiling make the room it's accessed from darker (I was disappointed that my lounge lost some light when we had a conservatory erected 15 yrs ago). We have sold our house STC but can't find anything we like. So if we still haven't found anything in the next 6 weeks we intend to stay here for the foreseeable and a new conservatory roof plus a log burner is something I would like to do.

Thanks
Yes it's made our kitchen darker ...but it has no windows anyway so was totally reliant on the conservatory for light.
We also installed an air conditioning unit as well just recently. Omg it's the best thing we ever did , keeps us warm in winter and will be fab in the summer .
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 18, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

We had a 'proper' roof put on our conservatory in the summer. It's quite large (5mx5m). I was concerned how a heavy roof would be supported and some quotes we had looked distinctly dodgy. The company we used constructed a steel ring beam that sat 1cm above the existing window frames with vertical supports hidden in the void where the window frames meet - it is an octagon shape. These vertical supports went down to the brickwork. In essence the roof is not supported on the frames which some companies wanted to do. The roof trusses were strong enough to take house roof tiles - it's a well engineered job and has created a garden room that is comfortable to use all year round.
We went to see three examples of the company's work plus one in progress so that I could see the structural elements.

Edited at 09:58 PM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List