Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 22 Dec 20, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
tigger48
VIP Dibber

Magic Vacation Title possible virus attack

Hi just a quick heads up of a possible security compromise for anyone using Magic Vacation Title in their DVC resale purchase. We’re on the cusp of closing on an add on contract using them. Yesterday we received a barrage of weird emails some with zip attachments, and some of which at cursory glance appeared to be from MVT but on closer investigation were not or made no sense. Many of them referred to an archive reference number and we’ve had a couple of contracts taken in ROFR this year so its plausible that the paperwork for those would be archived now we’re closing on the successful contract.
Fortunately we couldn’t and didn’t open any of the attachments and queried it direct with an MVT contract manager, who advised that a virus is circulating and sending these emails, and that MVT are working with Google and their tech team to resolve the issue.
Obviously the concern is whether personal information and/or credit card/banking information may have been compromised. We’ve ensured ours are now further safeguarded, but if you used MVT in the last year or so it might be worth reviewing.
There's also a thread about this on the “other place”.
tigger48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
JasonErpelding
Excited about Disney
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by tigger48 View Post
Hi just a quick heads up of a possible security compromise for anyone using Magic Vacation Title in their DVC resale purchase. We’re on the cusp of closing on an add on contract using them. Yesterday we received a barrage of weird emails some with zip attachments, and some of which at cursory glance appeared to be from MVT but on closer investigation were not or made no sense. Many of them referred to an archive reference number and we’ve had a couple of contracts taken in ROFR this year so its plausible that the paperwork for those would be archived now we’re closing on the successful contract.
Fortunately we couldn’t and didn’t open any of the attachments and queried it direct with an MVT contract manager, who advised that a virus is circulating and sending these emails, and that MVT are working with Google and their tech team to resolve the issue.

Obviously the concern is whether personal information and/or credit card/banking information may have been compromised. We’ve ensured ours are now further safeguarded, but if you used MVT in the last year or so it might be worth reviewing.
There's also a thread about this on the “other place”.
This can be scary especially if they were to try and pretend to be Magic Vacation Title and ask someone for a wire transfer.

Jason Erpelding
Lic. Real Estate Broker
Buy and Sell DVC, Inc.®
Old 22 Dec 20, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Dutchdisneyfan
Apprentice Imagineer

we got them too! about 6 or 7 emails in 10 hours.
They went straight in the bin.
Dutchdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 20, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I got them and notified Magic Vacation Title.

As they have your details and know MVT have supplied you, it seems they have compromised MVT’s systems- otherwise how would they know?

It is disappointing MVT have not responded to my email.

I also wonder what other info they have obtained from MVT given the documents and information we sent to MVT.

MVT need to quickly tell their customers what has been comromised.
Old 23 Dec 20, 01:19 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Here is a post on the other board from MVT:

Note that only one email account was accessed in a cyber attack. Social Security info which is stored in a secure database wasn't hacked. Only the email info from one account was accessed and is now being spoofed.

We became aware on December 21, 2020 that one of our email accounts was breached. This is to notify you that if you conducted business with us recently or historically, your email info may have been compromised. You will know if it was by the numerous spam emails that may have started coming your way.

What you need to know and do:

1. There may be annoying spam to the customers that were addressed inside of that email account. Ignore those and report them as spam.

2. Do not click on any ZIP files from our company or anyone unless you trust the source. We do not send those. They may contain malware or ransomware.

3. There may be phishing emails coming as well that look like they are from us asking for money to close the transaction. Use common sense, Ignore them and do not respond.

4. Report any of these emails you may receive as spam.

5. If you receive a notice with wiring instructions, even if you think it is appropriate, call our office to verbally verify the wiring instructions. As they may attempt to "spoof" in order to get you to divert your funds to them.

6. As a precautionary measure, If you used a credit card as a deposit, you may want to keep an eye on that account for any suspicious activity although we cannot confirm if any of that info was compromised.

7. We believe the breach was only to one email account, and the Title and Escrow software was NOT compromised.

*** is notifying the appropriate authorities and publicly notifying it's customers of the affected data breach. Meanwhile, we have employed some new policies around wires to have personal contact for verification prior to sending and not relying on email info regarding sending money. We will be reaching out personally to every customer we currently have in process with further instructions.

We regret that this cyber attack may impact you and we will continue to be vigilant to protect our customers' information. Now that we have eliminated the threat to our system, our ability to conduct business safely is not compromised in any way. And we will be taking further security steps to ensure that transactions can proceed without delay.

Sincerely,

Magic Vacation Title, LLC

From what I can see they have the following information;

1. Credit card details emailed for deposit. This doesn’t bother me as mine expires in 2019 on my last purchase through them but check yours and consider cancelling.

2. Names, address, telephone number and DOB. Not much of an issue.

3. Signatures.

4. Disney membership numbers. This is perhaps the most worrying, could they ring up member services and do something with your DVC. Or maybe even steal your title?

Very concerning.
Old 23 Dec 20, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Thanks for keeping us update YorkshireT. Unfortunately we have also been receiving the emails - they seem to have finally stopped!
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
tigger48
VIP Dibber

Yes I’m really disappointed with MVT especially as we’re mid transaction and should be closing imminently. No response to my emails either 😡
On the plus side perhaps this will finally cure addonitis for us? !
tigger48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
blackbird
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Buggles94 View Post
Thanks for keeping us update YorkshireT. Unfortunately we have also been receiving the emails - they seem to have finally stopped!
I've still been getting them 2 more this morning
blackbird is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
I've still been getting them 2 more this morning
Use your email program (Gmail etc) to report phishing/ spam. That should stop them.
Old 31 Dec 20, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Is this from DVC Sales as I’ve just had 2 v strange emails! On about offers and not even addresses to me to 2 random ppl. I’ve just deleted them but a bit worrying that I’m getting emails but not in my name thankfully.
It looks like someone has made an offer so informing both the buyer and seller and used my email address. V odd...
Update: had another 2 emails about point requests I had set up - nope! Went on live chat (which wasn’t live as I didn’t get any responses to my q’s ) and an automated mssg came up about sending a New Years email and it had picked up contacts email addresses but no personal info was on the database. Anyone know how I can get them to remove me from the database? Is it just a case of emailing them?

Edited at 12:50 AM.
Tweety1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List