Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Oct 16, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Anyone had Back surgery

My Consultant advises back Surgery i have a Prolapsed Disc L5 S1 and have had Injections that didnt really help but a small amount.

Has anyone on here had this type of Operation on the NHS.
He explained the side effects the most common bowel and bladder problems.
Also there is a 20% chance that is wont work also a chance i could end up in a wheel chair.

If it went well i could be pain free in my back for the first time in years.

Edited at 07:12 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 16, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieP
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi,

Yes I had this exact surgery on October 6 2015. I had suffered with prolapsed disc (L5 - S1) for 2 years and had had 2 periods off work (one of 6 weeks and the other 3 months). My first MRI showed a slight bulge but Dr said it wasn't bad enough for surgery, however a year later a second MRI showed it had got a lot worse and was now pressing on my sciatic nerve permanently. I was on painkillers daily and amytriptalene (not sure on spelling) at night. It was really getting me down and at my second consultation the Dr said that injections wouldn't reduce the pain at all as the bulge had severely worsened in a year. The only thing that would relieve it was surgery to remove it, there was a year waiting list. It was 10 months in the end and I have to say I am so pleased I had it. I worried like mad and read loads on internet but I just had to do something. It had gotten to the point where I couldn't go out for walks with hubby and my 2 daughters, or go to cinema as I couldn't sit for too long and was effecting my daily life in so many ways.
So a year on it hasn't completely disappeared. I still get aches in my lower back but nothing like the pain before. I can't sit for long or in certain positions but I can live with that. I don't take any medication and I am now starting to think I must start some sort of exercise, but I am also worried about damaging/hurting my back again. I can walk longer distances agin and am currently up to about 4-5 miles so getting there.
If I can answer any questions, please feel free to ask. Obviously this is only my experience but I know exactly how you are feeling right now and it is a tough one but only you can decide.
Take care
EllieP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 16, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunset girl
Imagineer

Mobile

I to had the same surgery. I was in agony for around 18 months. I was on every kind of pain killer. In the end valium and morphine patches.
I started to get pins and needles down both legs which is a sign of cauda aquina think that's how it's spelt...
I had the operation which I was warned could put me in a wheelchair or the loss of bladder and bowel control.
Thankfully I came out of the op ok. But I have permanent nerve damage down my right leg and both feet due to the disc pressing on the sciatic nerve for such a long time.
It doesn't bother me I am not on tablets I cope every day. My leg feels plastic after a while driving .sitting etc. I can live with that!
I still have back problems and have had sciatica around 3 times since but only for around 3 weeks at a time.
I would say go and have the operation. Everyones story is different . The risk is minimal.
Old 28 Oct 16, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
My husband has had this surgery plus another disc next to it. Both separate operations 10 years apart. He still suffers with his back but it doesn't stop him doing anything.
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 16, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I've had spinal surgery so not the same thing but wanted to wish you well in what ever you decide
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 16, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
KC2014
Excited about Disney

I had surgery to trim my disc between L4 and L5 which was bulging and pressing on the nerve. It was worse on my right hand side with pain right down to my feet. I had physio but that didn't help and then an MRI to confirm the position of the disc. As my operation date approached I was on paracetamol, ibuprofen and amatryptelene (most helpful with the nerve pain). The surgeon did say that statistically patients who had this op and those who didn't were roughly in the same position 5 years later as the disc very often atrophies and recedes from the nerve through time. However with a family and a job I couldn't face years more pain so had the op. It was amazing as you do wake up with the nerve pain gone. Felt like a horse had kicked me in my kidneys though! My full recovery was over a few months with some physio. That was 4 years ago and I now periodically suffer from muscular pain in my lower back but this can be controlled by exercise and proper posture. It was a success for me but I didn't have a very complicated operation. I would ask your surgeon your likely prognosis without the op but would seriously consider it if it will give you back your quality of life. Good luck
KC2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 16, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

I have, I am one of the ones who came out worse than they went in. Feel free to look back through some of my old posts. They go back to around 11/11/11 when I had my surgery.
I am now having knock on effects. I broke my leg in April (the damaged one) and now my arch is collapsing.
One thing I wish I had done more of was core strengthening. I have done pilates for the last 4.5 years and it is the best thing I have done. Who knows - if I had started it earlier I may never had needed the surgery in the first place.
I did however see quite a few people come into the ward having had the surgery on the Friday, walk out virtually pain free on the Monday.
Old 28 Oct 16, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Ds1 had an op on this area in April this year. Although he has a bit more feeling in his foot he has had little other improvement. He says he won't risk further surgery.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 16, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Not had back surgery but am nearly recovered from an acute muscle strain in my lower back. All I can add is that you have my utmost sympathy as I wouldn't wish back problems on my worst enemy having had a very uncomfortable 2 months.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 16, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Katm1
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

The surgery probably won't resolve back pain it should be done for the nerve symptoms in your buttocks / legs. If your back is the issue then I would clarify with the surgeon what he thinks the benefits will be.
Katm1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread