Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Aug 19, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
sunjue100
VIP Dibber

sunjue100's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
Oh well that'll teach me.

Having posted about how easy it is to access Nationwide accounts online compared to First Direct it's all changing.

We popped into Nationwide today to pay in some cheques and the lady behind the counter asked if we had a mobile phone.

They will no longer allow access to online accounts without sending a one time number to your mobile, which you then enter into their little card reader thing.

Then instead of using the memorable data like before, you need to enter the number online.

Well, I can't be bothered with all that clonk so I'm thinking again about one of these new banks, probably Monzo.

If anybody has signed up with Monzo after being with Nationwide have they any thoughts about whether it's OK please ?
I use 2 nationwide accounts for personal spends and for holidays etc. Like you because they are so easy and if you can’t find your card reader or it gives up the ghost which a few I’ve used have then you won’t be able to access your account. Looks like it might be time for a change then.
Old 23 Aug 19, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
CrochetFreak
Helping Minnie

Oh well that'll teach me.

Having posted about how easy it is to access Nationwide accounts online compared to First Direct it's all changing.

We popped into Nationwide today to pay in some cheques and the lady behind the counter asked if we had a mobile phone.

They will no longer allow access to online accounts without sending a one time number to your mobile, which you then enter into their little card reader thing.

Then instead of using the memorable data like before, you need to enter the number online.

Well, I can't be bothered with all that clonk so I'm thinking again about one of these new banks, probably Monzo.

If anybody has signed up with Monzo after being with Nationwide have they any thoughts about whether it's OK please ?
New regulations means that all banks are having to introduce an extra layer of security for certain aspects of online banking. A lot of banks are doing this by either sending a text code, or like Nationwide using a card reader thing. Not sure why they cannot just send you a text with a time limited code but ...

Think its called Strong Customer Authentication.
CrochetFreak is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CrochetFreak View Post
New regulations means that all banks are having to introduce an extra layer of security for certain aspects of online banking. A lot of banks are doing this by either sending a text code, or like Nationwide using a card reader thing. Not sure why they cannot just send you a text with a time limited code but ...

Think its called Strong Customer Authentication.
Natwest have started to introduce this, I have had correspondence that online access is changing to include the extra step of verification via a code.

Some recent transactions have had this extra verification step too via a text code.

Although they have said text and not said via a card reader, it would be a bit of a pin to keep carrying around a card reader all the time.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I have a Nationwide account and a Monzo account. I have to admit the main reason I keep my Nationwide account is because the branch is 100 yards from where I work so it's very easy to access. I think if they closed that branch I would definitely go 'Totally Monzo'

ATM I have all my salary paid in to Nationwide and pay my direct debits from there and transfer my spending money to Monzo every month

I'm taking my Monzo card to Florida this year but probably won't even need it if they have caught up with modern technology in US banks and take contactless - then I can use my 'phone

ON the Monzo forum there are endless people saying how easy and trouble free it is when out of the country
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
CrochetFreak
Helping Minnie

I doubt I will ever go without my physical bank (Santander). Someone I know was caught out with the recent Monzo problems and they couldn't pay their rent. They were automatically fined. They are now fighting this. I am gradually moving more and more DD's over to Monzo and using it to pay for things more but keeping my physical bank won't cost me anything, but does give me peace of mind.
CrochetFreak is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

what recent monzo problem was that? i don't remember having any issue...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
what recent monzo problem was that? i don't remember having any issue...
Haven't looked into it but I remember somebody from Monzo on ITV News talking about a new feature that you can choose 'sin payments' to block you being tempted to order late night curries or whatever. He was asked about customers needing to change PINs after a problem ?

I've looked at opening an account this morning, haven't done it yet.

Mentioned about Nationwide at work, surprised at the reaction. Think they could lose a lot of customers.

One woman said she'll stop using Nationwide online, and go back to using cheques. Another said she'll make her main account the Halifax because she doesn't need the card reader thing - her last one had the batteries go dead and she didn't bother after.

Just checked, my batteries are dead too.

Edited at 01:14 PM.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh Monzo...
... been saying Mondo.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Oh Monzo...
... been saying Mondo.
It was originally called Mondo Bank but they had to change it because of some copyright issues
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

Mobile

Opened one this morning hope it will help me to budget lol !
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List