Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Aug 19, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

Yeah I remember smoking in a plane and I’ve never smoked but as my friend did we always had to go in smoking and I hated it. And yes the drop down tv screens that everyone watched.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

While clearing my late Fathers house founds photos of me in the 60’s on Pan Am upstairs in the cocktail lounge and it was thick like smog with all the smoke - and no seat belts !

I remember c30 years ago when working in Hong Kong and flying a lot between London and there getting films in cassette type of thing that went into your seat arm rest to watch your film of choice - BA flights
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

The smoking section was awful and I was a smoker back then,I remember coming back from Alicante and being sat in the row in front of the smoking section,the smell actually made me decide to stop and I sold my duty free cigs when we got home. Remember when the photographer's would be standing at the bottom of the steps taking photos of you as you got off the plane, they had them displayed on a board in the airport for you to buy when you flew home.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Junogirl1
VIP Dibber

Junogirl1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I only started flying in 2003. I remember being able to bring liquids on as well. And those drop down screens. I hated those.
Old 22 Aug 19, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Found this on-line. First flights for me were around 1983-84, as an unaccompanied minor. Always with BA, in Economy, sat alongside the other divorcee kids as we were shuttled between parents on both sides of the pond. Was always a real adventure. Toward the end of the flight they’d move you into any empty seats in First Class to get you off the plane first. They were exactly like the above. Today these look barely better than PE and nowhere near Business or First. So that’s one thing that’s got better..
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

First aircraft I went to Spain on didn't have overhead lockers, just a shelf like you have on a bus. Can't remember what the aircraft was but I think the airline was Dan-air London.

dave
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
jimmymc
Apprentice Imagineer

I remember travelling once to Orlando with our two children - we are both non smokers - and we were seated in the row directly before the smokers row.! The children were very vocal about the smoke as there was someone continuously smoking right behind us. When I said to the stewardess there was nothing could be done as we were in "non smoking" seats! It was a horrible flight!
After that flight we always chose seats right at the front so we wouldnt get caught out again! So happy now that all flights are non smoking!

Maureen
jimmymc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I don't remember smoking sections.

I do remember having to stop and refuel on a transatlantic flight.
Stopping in other airports on the way to MCO but staying on the plane while those passengers departed.

I miss getting pretty much unlimited hand luggage.
Those were the days.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Back in the 1970's we could smoke anywhere on the plane.

The films were shown on a pull down screen about 4ft x 3ft

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by sunseeker View Post
First aircraft I went to Spain on didn't have overhead lockers, just a shelf like you have on a bus. Can't remember what the aircraft was but I think the airline was Dan-air London.

dave

Like this
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List