Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 26 Apr 19, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
rummy63
VIP Dibber

It's A Long Way To Itinerary Day 7 Antelope Canyon

Day 7

Once again, I was first out of bed with all my personal “ates” completed I started on the sanitate.

Small wonder I was awake early there were about 30 hikers outside the window all posing in their back packs and stuff.

They must have been parading about for about ninety minutes before they finally got on their way.

I couldn’t understand why they kept the back packs on surely it would have been easier to put them on at the last minute.

It’s one of those ponderables why we continue to search for intelligent life on other planets when we haven’t sorted intelligent life on our own planet.

For a quick breakfast we had toast and Bo Peep of course had nothing.

We went to book the Upper Antelope Canyon tour at a place that sold tours on the high street.

Aghh!

It was sold out for three days.

We decided to take a chance and head off to the canyon and try our luck there.
The first available was slot 11.15 so we took that.

The queue to book stretched back to Lake Powell.

It was Good Friday so very busy.

We had a couple of hours to kill so we called for Brunch to the Ranch House Grille it was very good although Bo Peep ate very little she was probably saving herself for all those custard creams, twiglets and monkey nuts later.

She’s now got a huge jar of something called Festive Mix. It’s full of what looks like putrefied bat wings, desiccated banana and decomposed rabbit droppings.

The jar has also 18 distinctive fun filled shapes.

Bits of Christmas tree and the like.

Anyway we arrived back at the antelope at 11.00am.
You must be available 15 minutes before the start of the tour.

At 11.00am all the “11.15ners” were called and assigned to a truck and a guide.

Our guide was Leon and according to trip advisor he is the best.

We lined up to get on the truck Leon asked the last couple if they would ride in the truck with him.

They didn’t want to I was happy to ride in the truck so me and Al got in the front.

Although we weren’t on the top in the open air I quite enjoyed having a chat with Leon. I knew his life history by the time we got off.

The entrance looked ordinary however a few more steps inside and we were transported into a surreal environment of shapes, lines, and colours.

There were beams of sunlight streaming down into the narrow passage ways. It was amazing the way the water had shaped the rocks.

Leon turned out to be a camera genius. He fixed all my settings on the camera and took some great photos. He also sort of told me off for not keeping the lens clean.

Everything is done to a strict time, but Leon kept over running the time and was getting shouted at by the other guides.

It was a terrific tour and it’s something I will never forget.

I would have liked to stay a little longer, but they were very busy, and it was only fair that everybody had a chance to see it.

We were back at the unit by 1.30 so we did yet another shop in Safeway’s for crap, the barefoot stuff and Larry was allowed a six pack of Boddingtons.

We then set off to the Waheap Marina to see if we could get on a Lake Powell boat tour. Once again, we had to show the park pass so another $25 was saved.

We managed to get on the 4.00pm tour we had a mooch about the Lake Powell resort and at 4.00 were directed to the boat.

I looked at the queue and then at the boat and thought

“You’re gonna need a bigger boat”.

The “rope was dropped” and the queue turned into a marathon everybody speeding down the long jetty to bag a decent spot on the boat. We sent Al and Larry on ahead as we really wanted to sit in the open air on the top of the boat.

I didn’t fancy being crammed in the bottom of the boat sharing transmittable diseases with a deck full of complete strangers.

It was a very hot day and we enjoyed a two-hour cruise that took us to the Antelope Creek and Glen Canyon Dam.

On our way we saw many houseboats, kayaks, jet skis and other speed boats so it's a place where everyone can find their preferred water activity.

Our preferred activity was lounging on the Upper Deck wearing head phones drifting along at a steady ten miles an hour.

The only down side was there was no shade on the upper deck, and it was incredibly hot.

On the return there were golf buggies available to transport people up the steep jetty.

The hikers had gone so I reckon that Mark is a bit of an idiot. He rented his place out on a holiday weekend for one day to his hiker mates. A holiday weekend should have been a minimum three-day rental. Consequently, the units are empty.

I went to the car boot to fetch the shopping from earlier and realised poor Larry’s Boddingtons had blown up due to the heat.

We really didn’t feel like the BBQ place again and none of the restaurants in Page have great reviews, so once again we ventured out to Safeway’s.

Upon entering I noted the manager despatched a member of staff to the Pinot shelf to ensure there was adequate supplies for our Lily’s needs.

We bought four steaks and salad.

Poor Larry wasn’t allowed to replenish the Boddingtons. Apparently, it was his responsibility to stow the Boddingtons in the cool box and he had to take the consequences for his actions or in his case non-actions.

I thought our Lily was about to hand him a detention the way she spoke to him.

Welcome to Fight Club.

Tonight’s forecast is a 99% chance of whine and wine.
rummy63 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 19, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
eleele
Apprentice Imagineer

Wow, stunning location, great photos!

Shame about the Boddingtons.
eleele is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Wow, those photos are incredible. Leon obviously knows his stuff!

Exploding Boddington's is a bit of a downer though.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen0705
Imagineer

Helen0705's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Some stunning photos.
Shame about the Boddingtons - but thank God for the Barefoot!
Helen0705 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 06:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The rock photographs are incredible, Leon really does know his way around a camera!
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List