Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 26 Aug 19, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

We’ve done it several times, it’s very easy. The port gate has ‘moved’ and the drop off for the free port shuttle bus is now further away from the station than it used to be - now about a 25 min walk. We walked it but there is a public bus. I’ve added a map - A is the shuttle drop Point and B is the station.
It’s best to buy a Birg ticket for about €12, it gives travel on trains, buses and metro for the Lazio region (inc Rome) for the day. You won’t be able to see everything in a day so best to research and choose what’s important to you. There are lots of self guided walking tours online.
A taxi back to the port is a useful plan B if anything goes wrong.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Train sounds best but I have to admit we skipped Rome and enjoyed the ship.

I can spend a week in Rome off-season when it is cool and I can get to attractions early morning before the crowds, for much less than the cost of a cruise.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Mobile

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
We’ve done it several times, it’s very easy. The port gate has ‘moved’ and the drop off for the free port shuttle bus is now further away from the station than it used to be - now about a 25 min walk. We walked it but there is a public bus. I’ve added a map - A is the shuttle drop Point and B is the station.
It’s best to buy a Birg ticket for about €12, it gives travel on trains, buses and metro for the Lazio region (inc Rome) for the day. You won’t be able to see everything in a day so best to research and choose what’s important to you. There are lots of self guided walking tours online.
A taxi back to the port is a useful plan B if anything goes wrong.
Thank you so much for that! We just want to do the Colosseum really? Ds is with us and it's what he wants to do, we missed it last time we were there, as my dd wasn't feeling well. Is there somewhere you can buy the Birg ticket at the port?
Old 26 Aug 19, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Mobile

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Train sounds best but I have to admit we skipped Rome and enjoyed the ship.

I can spend a week in Rome off-season when it is cool and I can get to attractions early morning before the crowds, for much less than the cost of a cruise.
We stayed on the ship last time we did Rome😁, but decided to give Florence a miss this time as we've stayed there before and we've been to Pisa too! That's the day before Rome and ds really wants to see the Colosseum this time! I'm preparing myself for the crowds! 😟
Old 26 Aug 19, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by catlady View Post
Thank you so much for that! We just want to do the Colosseum really? Ds is with us and it's what he wants to do, we missed it last time we were there, as my dd wasn't feeling well. Is there somewhere you can buy the Birg ticket at the port?
You buy the Birg ticket at the station.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 03:59 AM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Just booked a very last minute NCL cruise!

Just looking at the port excursions which are as usual crazy prices! Left it a bit late for any shares, I did look on CC!

Just found there is a train from the port to Rome? Anyone done it? We are docked from 7am to 6pm? Dh is worried about the reliability of the Italian networks! I just don't want to pay €100pp for a coach! 🤔
Thank you 😁
Wow €100 pp is a lot. We paid £45 per adult recently on our cruise for the coach in to Rome. Does that include entry to the Colosseum?

Just be aware that we were told that even if you buy your tickets for the Colosseum online before you go there can still be significant queues to get in so be prepared for that. If you dont get them online you can be looking at 2 hours + just to get in.

We loved Rome and really want to go back to see more.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 07:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Online, you can buy timed tickets for around €14. Obviously this avoids the lines for buying on the day tickets but however you buy tickets or even go in on a guided tour, everyone has to go through security which can be a little slow.
A combination ticket for the Colosseum, Forum and Palatine can be bought at the Palatine Hill entrance (just up from the Colosseum) where, on three visits, we haven’t had to queue.

Edited at 07:09 AM.
Old 27 Aug 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Can I just add a note of caution about the train - we were speaking to people on our last cruise who had previously got the train to Rome from the port.

They had planned to leave with 3 spare trains to get back... ALL of the trains were cancelled so they had to get a taxi at breakneck speed back to the ship.

He said it was the worst experience he'd ever had on holiday
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you all! Going to train it I think! Will go early and come back early just incase. I guess as a last resort we could get a taxi back! It would still be cheaper than the tours! 😂
DW and I did it in 2017. We got the free shuttle from the port to the station and then the train to Rome. It was very easy. (And I am the worlds worst person for panicking)

Just one thing to be aware of, when you get back to Rome station, the platform is the furthest away, and it is a bit of a walk. So give yourself plenty of time to get there.

The Rome trains by the way are great, they have 2 levels. I loved the train journey.

Hope this helps
James
Andrea1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Online, you can buy timed tickets for around €14. Obviously this avoids the lines for buying on the day tickets but however you buy tickets or even go in on a guided tour, everyone has to go through security which can be a little slow.
A combination ticket for the Colosseum, Forum and Palatine can be bought at the Palatine Hill entrance (just up from the Colosseum) where, on three visits, we haven’t had to queue.
I agree with buying the tickets at Palatine Hill. Last time we went, the queue to get tickets at the Colosseum was huge while the entrance at Palatine Hill was very quiet.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List