Direct with airline 173 67.58%
High street agent 25 9.77%
Online agents 58 22.66%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Sep 19, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Last time we booked with high street TA it was TC. They did make a bit of a mess - booking DH & me different dinning times for our cruise and telling us just to sort it out onboard.
To be fair they did sort it out very quickly and popped into my work (which was fine) to apologise and advise me it was sorted.
I would have used them again but now I prefer to browse flight deals online and go ahead whenever a good deal comes up.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
boltyboy
Imagineer

boltyboy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Haven't been into a travel agent since the 90's, most stuff is booked online now.

2020 canceled - 2018 - 2015- 2012 - 2004 - 1998 - 1995 - 1993
Has it really been 8 years? - Trip Index
August 2015-Trip Index
boltyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I went into a branch of Thomas cook last week. I was only looking for a brochure for ideas. There were about 10 desks in the branch plus the foreign exchange desk, but only 2 assistants in the whole shop. The girl couldn't get me out the shop quick enough and was actually quite snappy.

Now I know the poor girl was probably just worried 😞
Old 23 Sep 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Cannot remember the last time I went in to a travel agents. Usually find flights through Skyscanner/Netflights and then sometimes go to airline direct . Prefer to spend time looking online, in the comfort of my own home. Packages are too restrictive to me. I don't usually want a set 7 or 14 day holiday and I find I can tailor the holiday to my needs easier myself.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Last time I used one they quoted me a massively high price for a holiday, I went home and found a very similar one through them for over £2500 less - a huge saving. They price matched but charged me £49 'to do everything for me' I ended up having to do the booking seat, api etc myself anyway, they don't do themselves any favours. They could do so much more.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
justacey
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I’m actually planning to go into TUI tomorrow to book an AI to Mexico in December. We would do it online but want both parties on same booking but have slightly different wants. I work a few minutes walk from the shop so it’s not out of my way.
Since we cannot book until late tomorrow I’ve been worried about massive price rises but the prices haven’t changed for a week so hopefully it will be the same price tomorrow.
justacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
akhurstf1
VIP Dibber

Our first 3 trips were booked with Virgin Holidays or Thomas Cook. It wasn't until we started staying onsite that we decided to book DIY as it worked out so much cheaper.

Now as we are DVC members we do not require package holidays and only need flights so book with whoever is the cheapest.
Old 23 Sep 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Minniemagoo
Earning More Ears

I book with a local travel agent as due to a child with SN they are aware of our needs. However, if it was just Dh and I or if I was just booking flights I'd go online and book separately.
Our family trips, May 2010,Oct 2017
Last trip 2005
Minniemagoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

In store all the time for me, I don’t buy anything on line but it’s getting increasingly difficult now to buy certain things on the high street. Electrical goods we rely on Curry’s or John Lewis now otherwise you have to buy online, there is Argos as well but you can’t view the bigger items in Argos and I like to see what I’m buying .
I know I need to come out of the dark ages but I’m avoiding that as long as possible 😊
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I think that it depends on what you want.

If it is, say a flight to Mexico and a stay in an AI resort, then Travel agents on line can be very competitive.

If it is an Orlando, simple stay on site or hotel vacation, then I would price up a DIY before seeing if a travel agent can beat it. (I generally used to find they could not, but no longer book this type of vacation).

If it is an Orlando vacation, mainly with Villa, then it would be DIY as I want to have control and select my own Villa, have a night at the start in a Universal Premium hotel etc etc.

If , as I do these days, I want a multi city, multi accommodation US vacation, possibly involving trains, planes and automobiles, then it will inevitably be DIY.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List