Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Sep 19, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
angelcake71
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fatboyslick View Post
So my flight has just landed...possibly the last ever Thomas Cook flight! The crew have been given a round of applause
Must have been such a surreal experience to be on the last ever flight... such sad times .. but yeah the TC crew definitely deserve the round of applause .. bless them al! xx
angelcake71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
angelcake71
Imagineer

Originally Posted by twogoto View Post
After a stressful weekend I just want to say thank you to all you lovely Dibbers on here. I think i'd have gone insane without the Dibb throughout this! You all give great advice and are such a friendly community.

An awful situation for everyone, not least the TC staff who are waking up without jobs today. I'm still a little shocked that TC is no more!

We have managed to rebook BA flights last night before the prices hiked too much. We're hoping our hotel will be okay as advised yesterday. Airport hotel has been booked and I'm waiting on a response to see if the parking can be refunded/amended given the situation. I hope all of you others flying out soon have managed to get sorted.

Now need to pack my cases and get organised to leave for the airport on Wednesday, but still finding it difficult to get excited given how many people's lives have been changed this morning.
Aww Have a fabulous time xx
angelcake71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

With the likes of BA and Virgin all the cheaper fare buckets have probably sold out and you are left with the more fully flexible expensive fare buckets. This happens all the time when the flights get nearly full and has nothing to do with just bumping up the costs due to TC failing. Schedule airlines tend not to reduce prices nearer the departure time but usually increase them.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
aladdin
VIP Dibber

i don’t think it’s hit me until just now, i’m absolutely devastated. i have no means for a deposit on something else until my £10k is refunded as that was my savings. by the time we come to rebook i just don’t know what will be there, i haven’t stopped getting teary all morning. i feel bad for myself and also all the staff who have lost their livelihoods; i wish i had the fore-fought to cancel it and just lost the £1000 deposit, that would have been easier to recoup after booking i’m just so lost as to what to do now

Edited at 10:24 AM.
aladdin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by aladdin View Post
i don’t think it’s hit me until just now, i’m absolutely devastated. i have no means for a deposit on something else until my £10k is refunded as that was my savings. by the time we come to rebook i just don’t know what will be there, i haven’t stopped getting teary all morning. i feel bad for myself and also all the staff who have lost their livelihoods; i wish i had the fore-fought to cancel it and just lost the £1000 deposit, that would have been easier to recoup after booking i’m just so lost as to what to do now
I'm so sorry for you,I hope you can sort something else out x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Junogirl1
VIP Dibber

Junogirl1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I just remembered this and I think it’s weird because I was getting holiday money from a Thomas Cook shop in 2017, Monarch had collapsed and the shop was filled with concerned passengers. It’s not even two years later and TC have gone too.
Old 23 Sep 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

This might be cold comfort, but even if options seem limited just now, they might improve.

The current "batch" of affordable tickets might be exhausted, but scheduled airlines sometimes "stagger" ticket batches.

It would then depend on demand when those tickets get released.

But it is obviously a supply and demand situation, so keep monitoring frequently and book as soon as you see a good price.

It's an awful situation and still all very raw and far from calmed down.

But it MIGHT get better over the next few weeks. Just keep price checking - look at sites like Momondo and skyscanner as well as tour operator sites.
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I know it’s awful today and devastating but it will pass it sounds like you booked a package so you will get your money back and will in time be able to book something else.

Others here have been through what you are going through and came out of it. They can probably give you a good idea when you are likely to get money back so when you feel ready perhaps you can start thinking about planning a replacement holiday for next year.

Some packages do have no or low deposit options so you may be able to book something before you have all your money back
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
angelcake71
Imagineer

I feel gutted for you and the others in your situation.. some are a slightly better position in that they have the funds to book something else while they wait for the refund to be sorted.. did you pay for your holiday in full?
is it worth considering getting an interest free credit card to use for a deposit for now, and then once you have your refund pay off the credit card... probably not the greatest solution out there, but I just meant as a temporary solution.. when were you due to go.. ? remember there is always a way.. and also maybe something better will come out of this mess for you.. .. maybe don't do anything right now, just give yourself time to get your head round it all, and then sort things out step by step.. xx

Edited at 11:14 AM.
Old 23 Sep 19, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Things are going to peek over the next week as people rush to rebook. But if you can be a little flexible with dates and travel tours may still find a winner.

Hold in there

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List