Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 22 Sep 19, 06:30 AM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

The two times we went on it last May it broke down both times. Stuck for 30 min or so the first time and thankfully only a few minutes the second.
Then tried to get in it again, not working!
I tend to avoid it now which is shame. Hopefully new trains are on the way
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I do hope they replace rather than remove though - ‘Por favor mantengese alejado de las puertas’ is literallymy favourite phrase in the whole world and it brings a smile every time I hear it! 🙂
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Mobile

#PrayForTheMonorails

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Has anybody seen one being pulled by the tug?

The tug is diesel powered and has enormous pulling power. I have a picture somewhere so will hunt for it.
Nice bit of kit.

Ahh, Google is quicker!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 08:50 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

People constantly say how great the monorail resorts are, and resorts that have a short bus ride such as AKL, OKW and SSR are somehow terrible.
This monorail goes down a lot- and then you have real difficulties.
Hopefully the new Skyliner should be more reliable, and hopefully so will the new monorail trains- if they get them. These ones are already extended well beyond their scheduled life, and this is probably why we see these problems. Should have been replaced 10 years ago.
Old 22 Sep 19, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Disney know these trains are past their sell by date and I hope they have plans to replace them instead of spending millions on those awful cable cars.
There was talk a while ago that Disney had plans to replace the monorail trains. I remember watching a video where one of Disney’s chief CMs in charge of the monorails (might have been an ex-CM?) said that Disney were in talks with Bombardier about replacing them and that it was going to happen in the next couple of years.

Here was something about it from April 2018:
wdwnt/2018/04/rumor-new-...-disney-world/

Thing is, everything seems to have gone quiet since then. If I had to guess I’d say the rumoured didn’t pan out.

There was also this news item from June/July this year (so just a couple of months ago). One of the existing monorail trains had been refurbed. To me this sounds like Disney aren’t planning on replacing the trains any time in the near future and we’re going to have to put up with the old trains for several years:

disneyfoodblog/2019/...nside-and-out/

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 10:01 AM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
This article probably best summarises what I was trying to write above:
wdwnt/2018/11/rumor-walt...fety-concerns/

Together with the recently refurbed silver monorail, I think it looks like we aren’t getting new monorails for several years.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
toonmadlad
Excited about Disney

When these things break down, does the A/C still work? I would end up like a pile of salt if the A/C went off for an hour or so, being in a tin tube in that heat/humidity would be a killer...might rethink our entrance to the MK and jump on the ferry.
Old 22 Sep 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

Mobile

I've been on it a couple of times in the last few weeks. They seem to be having problems with air conditioning in some carriages and it takes so long! Disney seem to have lost their ability to move people quickly. I reckon if it had been possible I could have walked quicker. I've also found the bus transport really unreliable and slow. Everyone seems to be on island time 😂
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

I heard that it is too expensive to renew the monorail - something crazy like several million dollars per car. So the hope is that the skyliner will take pressure off the monorail so it won’t break down as much. The skyliner was much cheaper than refurbing the monorail apparently!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List