Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 22 Sep 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Alaska/Canada or Australia in July or August.

Can anyone help with a choice of destination. My daughter is in year 11 so we are still stuck to school holidays. We can go a little earlier next year though as she will have done her GCSEs. We loved Quebec and our cruise this year but didn't like Orlando so were thinking maybe doing western Canada and an Alaskan cruise. However my husband keeps mentioning Australia. My concern with Australia is that it is their winter. Has anyone done Australia in July or August if so where did you visit and what did you do? In a couple of years we will not be stuck to school holidays would you wait until then. Also any ideas where to go in Canada before an Alaskan cruise? I am sure we will do both of these holidays at some stage. Sorry for all the questions.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Hi,

I can’t help with Australia. For Western Canada our highlights was Ucluelet on Vancouver Island. If you liked Saguenay, then you would probably love Ucluelet. Lots of hikes, whale watching and beaches!

We also did Vancouver, Whistler and Seattle in the same trip. Lots of people do Banff (we have visited twice but in winter) and Jasper. Neil and Jocat did reports last year and Disneyparisfan has done two!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Thanks Mel, sounds great. I think we will probably do Canada/Alaska next year I just feel a little guilty as I keep putting Australia off. Australia is the only place my husband has expressed a real desire to visit. He has been before I haven't. I just think it is a long way to go if the weather isn't great. We don't like it too hot though so maybe July/August would suit us. Too many decisions. Anyhow I'm off to read the trip reports thanks again.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
janey2000
Excited about Disney

Just returned from Vancouver to Seattle to Alaska cruise with our 11yr old. Wonderful trip! Let me know if you want to know anything specific

Pre trip report - Aug 2014 Florida and Georgia
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=794593
janey2000 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
randc
Imagineer

randc's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Mobile

Originally Posted by janey2000 View Post
Just returned from Vancouver to Seattle to Alaska cruise with our 11yr old. Wonderful trip! Let me know if you want to know anything specific
Which cruise line was that with and what was the kids stuff like. I have done p and o before with dd (12). She loved it but not too sure which cruise lines in usa are best for teenagers.
Old 22 Sep 19, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I really want to go to Australia. My brother is in Perth and has told me not to come in July / August. It’s not winter as we get but it is cool and rainy. They headed up to the Northern Territory for some sun.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Thank you, I had my heart set on Canada and Alaska but the more I think about Australia the more I think I might like it even in July/August. We are not massive fans of the heat but would like it to be warmish. Decisions decisions, it took me ages to decide on this years holiday destination. Whatever I decide for next year I'm sure we will do the other at another date. I have just started reading jocat's Vancouver and the Rockies trip report which is very good.
Old 22 Sep 19, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by janey2000 View Post
Thank you, what shore excursions did you do? Did you go to glacier bay? I know there are only a few ships that visit glacier bay I'm not sure if it is a must do or not. Did you just do the cruise or did you have a land holiday as well? Sorry for so many questions.
Old 23 Sep 19, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post

Lived in Australia for five years, it is a big country and the weather varies a lot, July / August is a good time to visit Queensland or Northern Territory. I had a lot of colleagues living in Queensland and most would say it is their favourite time of year weather wise.

We lived in Sydney, yes July / August is “winter”. Sydneysiders might put on arctic survival suits at this time, I think it was partly that they like to try different fashions. DH did not wear a coat once in five years, I had a coat for the first year, after that it was a little chilly in the morning or evenings but by 9am would usually be nice and warm. I ditched the cost for a cardigan early / late in the day. I think Melbourne would be slightly less pleasant than Sydney.

We are going to visit in 2021. We will probably go either March or September. I would not rule out July, the only time I would rule out would be January / February, the Australia summer or wet season.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Lived in Australia for five years, it is a big country and the weather varies a lot, July / August is a good time to visit Queensland or Northern Territory. I had a lot of colleagues living in Queensland and most would say it is their favourite time of year weather wise.

We lived in Sydney, yes July / August is “winter”. Sydneysiders might put on arctic survival suits at this time, I think it was partly that they like to try different fashions. DH did not wear a coat once in five years, I had a coat for the first year, after that it was a little chilly in the morning or evenings but by 9am would usually be nice and warm. I ditched the cost for a cardigan early / late in the day. I think Melbourne would be slightly less pleasant than Sydney.

We are going to visit in 2021. We will probably go either March or September. I would not rule out July, the only time I would rule out would be January / February, the Australia summer or wet season.
Thank you that is reassuring, infact for me it sounds ideal as although I would like it to be warm I would rather be cold than too hot.