Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Aug 19, 05:51 AM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYALI
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Mobile New to walking sore uncomfortable calfs

I am on the Slimming World journey and have currently lost 3 stone. I have taken up walking and over the past 4/5 weeks have increased my walking to a mile and a half twice a week on my days off and upping my steps on my work days where I am on my feet all day, used to being on my feet all day.
A week or two now I have woken in the night with sore and uncomfortable calf muscles I do have a tendency for tendonitis in my right leg and do wear the appropriate support when necessary.
Can any seasoned Walkers /runners offer any advice to stop this happening or how to treat it it's to the point where it's waking me from my sleep.
It's not a pain more like a dull ache.
Tia.
DISNEYALI is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 06:19 AM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Mobile

Well done on your weight loss! And what a great way to help it, by upping your activity. I would maybe change your footwear? Make sure you are wearing good fitting shoes that support your feet (especially the contours and arches). And would use a warmed wheaty bag, or similar, to help ease the sore muscles at bed time x x x
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 06:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

I think it might help if you make sure you do some leg stretches when you are starting and finishing your walk
I find that's what I need to do. One stretch I find good is standing on the bottom stair & shuffling back so toes are on stair & heels are dropped down below stair level
Hard to describe but if you search online there are loads of pictures of leg stretches
Talland 2016 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Make sure your footwear has support (not flat) and congratulations on your amazing weight loss!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I would change your footwear and do some warm up/cool down exercises before walking. My calves got painful when I started running and it was because I wasn’t warming up and cooling down properly.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Good supportive shoes and definitely leg stretches. Well done on your weight loss, I’ve just joined
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Good stretching exercises before & after your walks are essential. Well done on your weight loss.
Old 26 Aug 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

If it persists, it might be worth getting a bio mechanical analysis - most podiatrists will offer this for about £70. This will look at your gait and also weight distribution on each foot etc. You may find that insoles will correct any issues identified.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkcandy
Imagineer

Hi

I get really uncomfortable calves too ( I run a lot ) and the best thing I ever bought was a foam roller and when I get back from a run I just use it for a few minutes after stretching and it really helps get rid of the pain. I just bought mine off Amazon.

As another Dibber mentioned stretching before and after really helps too. Have a look on YouTube for some warm up and cool down ideas.

Also make sure you have a really good pair of trainers. Go and have a look at running ones they don’t have to be expensive just good support. I swear by Asics.

Good luck and hope you find a solution x
Old 26 Aug 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I agree on footwear. When we walk a lot at home I get a dull ache in my calves

Out here now and averaging 8 miles a day in decent trainers and no problems at all.

I think the problem at home is I wear normal Clarks slip on shoes that look fine but aren't that brilliant for 5+ miles maybe.

Good weight loss OP. Wish I could do that.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List