Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Sep 19, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
johnmcmaster
Very Serious Dibber

Orlando with type 1 diabetes

Dear Dibbers,

I’ve been recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and we are looking to go back next October. Just looking for tips and advice from fellow about how they manage their condition when abroad, tips etc etc.

All advice greatly appreciated.
johnmcmaster is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Jonster
I want to go now!

Mobile

The number one thing I'd recommend is blood tests. The heat and humidity can be a factor and I know when I last went the results were occasionally different to how I felt.

Make sure you do have snacks/drinks with you in case of any hypos as if symptoms come out of the blue you never know when it could happen.

Diabetes UK forums have lots of great tips for travelling abroad as well that will probably be more detailed than what I've put up.
Jonster is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneycraft
Imagineer

Disneycraft's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 17

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
I carry fruit pastels with me in the parks so I always have sugar to hand .they are especially good because they don’t melt and small to carry

Marriott 93, MIC lakefront 94,Holiday inn 96,Rosen plaza 98,Quality inn plaza 02,BVP 06,BVP 07 ,Royal plaza 08,villa 09,villa +RPR 11,villa 12,Contemporary 13,BVP 14 ,POR xmas 15,Beach club 16,Beach Club 18 ,Contemporary 22, Sheraton LBV 23,+ DLP 03,17
Disneycraft is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Frio wallets for transporting insulin - I'm not diabetic but DH is. Agree with carrying sweets/drinks with you - DH had a severe hypo just after clearing security at JFK, fortunately we made the flight!

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
leah
Trainee Dibber

leah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

The heat and walking will affect you I have a libre sensor and it’s a god sent in the parks as I can quickly tap my sensor before going into the line for a ride. You will be fine at the airport too with your insulin, I was tell them that I have my insulin on me and they tell me it ok.
Old 29 Sep 19, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
apollo163
Imagineer

Make sure you've got plenty of insulin you don't want to be trying to get it in the states, they charge a fortune for it.
2001 private villa (poinciana blvd)
2006 villa formosa gardens
apollo163 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

Take far more supplies than you ever think you’d need. Never be without some fast acting glucose. Test far more often.

My DD & DH’s blood sugars are far more variable in Orlando than at home. The food is different and their bodies respond differently to it. The heat and humidity force changes in their blood sugar levels. The waking and queueing cause issues with their blood sugars.

It’s not all doom and gloom but be prepared that everything you learnt about yourself and being a type1 diabetic in the UK while going about our normal routine will all be blown out of the water and if you’re prepared for that you’ll manage just fine.
Old 29 Sep 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

While insulin is extremely expensive, so are testing stips-make sure you bring plenty. If for some season you lose your kit and supplies, Walmart has their own brand (reli on) which has very good reviews. And the meter and strips are much less expensive than others. I used to get my supplies with insurance payment. Walmart is less expensive than my co pays were (and I had really good insurance)
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
While insulin is extremely expensive, so are testing stips-make sure you bring plenty. If for some season you lose your kit and supplies, Walmart has their own brand (reli on) which has very good reviews. And the meter and strips are much less expensive than others. I used to get my supplies with insurance payment. Walmart is less expensive than my co pays were (and I had really good insurance)
Be aware that US measure on a different scale, their blood sugar readings are a lot different to ours.
Old 6 Oct 19, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
macjaddie
Getting Excited

We have been to Florida 4 times, but next summer it will be different because our son has recently been diagnosed as Type One Diabetic.

The flights we have booked are hand luggage only, we are hoping he will be on a pump by then and he's already on the Dexcom G6. Does anyone know what the deal is with extra bags for his supplies? I am not sure I want any of it to go in the hold, I am too worried it would get lost!
macjaddie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List