Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 7 Jan 18, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Spirit of Aloha - early showing

Hi all!

We really want to do this dinner show and whenever we have walked past it it's always been later at night when it's dark so looks really cool.

We're thinking about doing it in April when we're in Orlando but the sun doesn't set until 8pm. If we do the 5pm showing will it be the same? Assuming all the lights that they use won't have the same effect? The reason for considering the early showing is so that we can watch HEA on the beach at 9pm, if we do the 8pm showing this obviously won't be an option.

I would be grateful if people could offer their feedback.

Thank you!
Old 7 Jan 18, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

We did the early showing back in August 2015 and really enjoyed it. I don't think it needs to be dark to get the same effect at all.
Here is a link to the day we went from my trip report if you fancy a read
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...7#post11155007

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 18, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I have booked this today and doing the 5:15pm sitting, the other week s just too late with my 3 children 👶
The main thing I am worried about is the weather and seating, my youngest will be 5 and has poor eyesight (he is a wriggler and his glasses always slide down lol) so if we are sat behind a tall family he won’t see anything 😪
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 18, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
We did the early showing back in August 2015 and really enjoyed it. I don't think it needs to be dark to get the same effect at all.
Here is a link to the day we went from my trip report if you fancy a read
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...7#post11155007
Thanks for the link, looks nice. I think perhaps because it was overcast that it still looked better. Just trying to imagine it with blazing sunshine, not sure it will be the same.
Old 8 Jan 18, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I have booked this today and doing the 5:15pm sitting, the other week s just too late with my 3 children 👶
The main thing I am worried about is the weather and seating, my youngest will be 5 and has poor eyesight (he is a wriggler and his glasses always slide down lol) so if we are sat behind a tall family he won’t see anything 😪
What category have you booked?
Old 8 Jan 18, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

we love the luau and have seen it so many times... we do prefer the later show in the dark BUT we did the early show a few times last year.

The lighting is more atmospheric in the later show, BUT it's still very present even with bright sunlight because the stage is a natural cover at least over some of the stage.

There's a different vibe in the earlier show too. Many more families and lots more younger children. So there's a much more playful energy to it.

As we're a couple of grumpy oldies ;-) the later show is better for us but I certainly wouldn't worry about the early show, it works just great.

In terms of someone struggling to see. All category one seating is in the central area ground floor BUT not all seats are equal and although you MAY get a table right in front of the stage, the odds are that you'll be behind another table. Now there will be 2 or 4 seats you can sit him at to maximise the chance of seeing over/around people. You can move the chairs and I see a lot of people move their chairs a little once the show starts to get a better view. End of the day though, viewing is rarely "100%" at the luau although it's usually "OK" for an adult.

I'd suggest gently talking to the CMs doing the seating and just tell them the problem. I've seen them move people far to the left or right to get them on a front table which, whilst not the IDEAL view, will allow much more to be seen by a child.

There's a fair amount of interaction too with kids getting up on stage so that breaks the show up which helps
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 18, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KeithOP View Post
we love the luau and have seen it so many times... we do prefer the later show in the dark BUT we did the early show a few times last year.

The lighting is more atmospheric in the later show, BUT it's still very present even with bright sunlight because the stage is a natural cover at least over some of the stage.

There's a different vibe in the earlier show too. Many more families and lots more younger children. So there's a much more playful energy to it.

As we're a couple of grumpy oldies ;-) the later show is better for us but I certainly wouldn't worry about the early show, it works just great.

In terms of someone struggling to see. All category one seating is in the central area ground floor BUT not all seats are equal and although you MAY get a table right in front of the stage, the odds are that you'll be behind another table. Now there will be 2 or 4 seats you can sit him at to maximise the chance of seeing over/around people. You can move the chairs and I see a lot of people move their chairs a little once the show starts to get a better view. End of the day though, viewing is rarely "100%" at the luau although it's usually "OK" for an adult.

I'd suggest gently talking to the CMs doing the seating and just tell them the problem. I've seen them move people far to the left or right to get them on a front table which, whilst not the IDEAL view, will allow much more to be seen by a child.

There's a fair amount of interaction too with kids getting up on stage so that breaks the show up which helps
Thanks for your reply I think we will stick to the earlier showing, the MIL will be with us and I don't want her to miss the fireworks. Just annoying that the later showing coincides with them.
Old 9 Jan 18, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
What category have you booked?
We are in the DDP so could not do catagory 1 so we chose 2. Fingers crossed we can see lol
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 18, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
We are in the DDP so could not do catagory 1 so we chose 2. Fingers crossed we can see lol
I'm sure you'll be fine. A lot of people have said Cat 2 is good
Old 10 Jan 18, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We were sat in Cat 2 and as you can see from the photos we were right at the front albeit to one side. We still had a great view though!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List